is it true?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

josh
Awake

is it true?

#1 Post by josh » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:37 pm

A friend of mine recently pointed out something about LIT to me. She is a regular visitor to Tokyo and lived there for several months. She told me that the camera shots at the end of the movie are coming from 2 cars, one leaving Tokyo for the airport and then turning around and then another car leaving for the airport at the same time. She knows I am a fan of this film but I learned to keep my obsession private. Is this true about the cars? Does Bob try to go back or does Charlotte try to get to the Airport? :?:
too good to be true

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by wiggle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:31 pm

I'm not sure what you mean.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: is it true?

#3 Post by jm » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:20 pm

"[quote:e3edecc51e="josh"]Does Bob try to go back or does Charlotte try to get to the Airport? :?:[/quote:e3edecc51e]

Actually, you're right on both counts. Bob turned around to go back and to claim Charlotte and to take her to Spain to live, but Charlotte, in the meantime, had dashed in a cab with Charlie Brown -- who she told the whole story too, as he was really her friend and not John's -- to catch Bob at the airport, who wasn't there. So Charlotte takes a sleeping drug to pretend to be dead, but when Bob sees her "dead" body, he kills himself, and she then does likewise. Then the nurse ran off with Charlie Brown!"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

#4 Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU SO FUNNY

K
LIT Super Fan

#5 Post by K » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 pm

johnmonkey: Trying to be funny or are you normally so witty?

josh: That's the thing we don't know, we don't know if they meet each other again, or try for that matter.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#6 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:55 pm

First off, johnmonkey: WOW what a story!
Second: I believe those shots were done just to show the path he went through to get to the airport. The shots are allowing you to see the city but from the view of someone who is leaving it, not like in the beginning where the shots were from a view of a person who was arriving Tokyo (Bob). It's great you meantioned those shots, Josh, because I think they are increadibly effective in the end...I am glad Coppola chose to show you a lot of the city in the whole film, and instead of concentrating on Bob or Charlotte(think about it, where did Charlotte go afterward, we don't know) she chose to let us see the way to the ariport so that we become Bob at the moment. This is when I found out Bob was the main character of the movie, no matter how many times they say its the tow of them. I wanted to see what happened to Charlotte after she left smiling, that is something I wish would have been shown... :( ...that and simultaneously Bob on his way to his fam.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Congruous
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Congruous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm

Josh, your friend might be right about the directions of the cars, but the shots at the end of the movie are intended to illustrate Bob's leaving Tokyo. I would assume that the camera crew took any number of ambient shots around the city just to have plenty of stock for just such a scene as the ending.

I understand the question you are posing, but I don't think that there was an ulterior motive in the way the shots were shown.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

synasp
Awake

#8 Post by synasp » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:11 am

I'm confident in saying that those shots were just shots taken, and not meant to be part of the "story".... no one would figure something like that out (unless they're intimate with the city).

man......... thinking about the movie, I have to watch LiT again tonight. I hate you guys! (kidding!!) :wink:

Bills_Translation
Sleepless in Tokyo

Re: is it true?

#9 Post by Bills_Translation » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 am

johnmonkey wrote:
josh wrote:Does Bob try to go back or does Charlotte try to get to the Airport? :?:
Actually, you're right on both counts. Bob turned around to go back and to claim Charlotte and to take her to Spain to live, but Charlotte, in the meantime, had dashed in a cab with Charlie Brown -- who she told the whole story too, as he was really her friend and not John's -- to catch Bob at the airport, who wasn't there. So Charlotte takes a sleeping drug to pretend to be dead, but when Bob sees her "dead" body, he kills himself, and she then does likewise. Then the nurse ran off with Charlie Brown!
LMAO. Must have been in some mood for that story.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by adrien950 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:18 am

Oh-Oh Josh....
johnmonkey..that is :P

You are truly awesome,johnmonkey!

josh
Awake

#11 Post by josh » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:07 pm

why are you annoyed? You have your own ending in mind?
too good to be true

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#12 Post by Cryogenic » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:31 pm

A moment of silence wrote:I am glad Coppola chose to show you a lot of the city in the whole film, and instead of concentrating on Bob or Charlotte(think about it, where did Charlotte go afterward, we don't know) she chose to let us see the way to the ariport so that we become Bob at the moment.
Absolutely! The ending montage is incredibly beautiful, hypnotic and uplifting! (IMO) We do become Bob, and in becoming Bob, we learn more about the character than a thousand words in any screenplay could possibly illustrate. We live vicariously through the medium of film when it's done right ..... and LIT is certainly cinema done right. A sublime ending for a sublime movie! My "absolutely" also extends to your observation concerning Sofia Coppola choosing to show Tokyo throughout the film. It's an ESSENTIAL element of LIT's appeal. In fact, the film simply wouldn't work if it had been done any other way.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Continuity has never been this movie's strongest point, take the ikebana scene for example. The first neon lit scenes of Bob in the taxi are actually shot with the taxi driving in the wrong direction to the Park Hyatt. It'd therefore be very difficult to read anything into that. Let's face it though, any inaccuracies are thoroughly outweighed by the great ambience and cinematography.