How Many Times Have You Seen LiT?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

How Many Times Have You Seen LiT?

#1 Post by Pitman » Thu May 04, 2006 8:16 am

I did not see this as a topic posted. If I missed it, my apologies for repeating it.

I am curious to know how many times people have seen the movie. Also, I am curious to know of different people's habits around watching it regarding frequency, time of day, alone or with company. What do you do to gain the absolute most enjoyment from watching.

Also, when does the newness, the love of watching this film wear off? After how many viewings? And if you have reached a saturation point with this film, how long would you go before you could turn it back on and enjoy it.

Thanks for your input.

Bob, this definitely includes you if you care to respond. Thanks!

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by You Make it Easy » Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 am

I have watched LIT at least 20 times. I usually watch it alone, anytime during the day. After watching LIT I get this feeling that is undescribable.

After about the 5th time watching it, I lost the feeling, but after not watching the movie for 7 months or so, I watch it again and felt that "feeling". Thats my experience watching this film
Waiting to be found...

kite
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by kite » Thu May 04, 2006 9:40 am

I've seen this movie 2 or 3 times.. i cant remember

I guess you have to be kind of tired to watch this movie, so you can just relax, sit back, and feel the nostalgia

Im going to watch it again today (when i get back from school)
alone of course.

dbm
Traveler

#4 Post by dbm » Thu May 04, 2006 11:53 am

I've seen LIT about 10 times, I guess.

The last time I watched it was Saturday before then I hadn't seen it for about 7/8 months.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by Flyonthewall » Thu May 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Since seeing the movie late last year on DVD, I've watched it about 10 times now. I try to space it out so as not to get oversaturated.

And yeah, usually late at night.. alone .. after having tucked my boys in and worked on any new projects I need to finish for film school.. with a good whiskey..

:roll: :D
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#6 Post by preciouswhile » Thu May 04, 2006 6:42 pm

I probably watched it 10 times in the week after first getting the DVD. Probably another 20 times since then so 30+ in all perhaps?

I actually haven't watched it in a month or so, but soon I hope. It's not that I've reached a saturation point - I could probably still turn it on and enjoy it - I just haven't had the time.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Pitman » Fri May 05, 2006 9:09 am

drabthehours, wow! I wonder if you are the Champion of LiT viewing. 10 times in one week is quite impressive. Seems I have a long way to go before I reach saturation. I'm in a cycle where I look forward to watching it at least once on the weekend after midnight. I'm filled with anticipation of knowing I'll to be joining Bob and Charlotte on their week-long Tokyo adventure. In fact, I'm due for a viewing tonight anytime after midnight. The later the better. I once started the movie around 3 AM. It would be funny if someone actually reported their time was 4:20 AM the same time Bob looks at his clock.

I look forward to being in the Karaoke room when Charlotte gives Bob that look of recognizing a soul-mate.

More than any other movie, I don't feel as if I'm watching Bob and Charlotte from an outsider's point of view. I am swepted up in their characters and actions as the story moves along as if I was right there in the middle of it. What heightens this experience is my new 50" Sony widescreen TV, and sweet surround sound system.

It truly is an event.

I believe tonight will be my 5th viewing.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by 52FM » Fri May 05, 2006 9:17 am

Pitman -
There have been occassions when the board members here get together for a simultaneous viewing of the movie. A day and time is set - then the viewers get into the chat room here and everyone pauses at some point in the opening of the movie - and then at some designated time everyone hits "play" - and then chats as themovie is being played.

I've never done one but I did participate in the chat for a while once. The scripts are aways saved on the board somewhere.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#9 Post by Flyonthewall » Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 pm

52FM wrote:Pitman -
There have been occassions when the board members here get together for a simultaneous viewing of the movie. A day and time is set - then the viewers get into the chat room here and everyone pauses at some point in the opening of the movie - and then at some designated time everyone hits "play" - and then chats as themovie is being played.

I've never done one but I did participate in the chat for a while once. The scripts are aways saved on the board somewhere.
This would be sweet if we can get a few people to do it again :D
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: How Many Times Have You Seen LiT?

#10 Post by jm » Sat May 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Under twenty, but not by much. I got onto it late, but it ran long in the close-to-campus artsy theater, and I was even able to see it on the big screen a few days after it was out on DVD.
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#11 Post by wiggle » Sat May 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Four or five times. It gets boring after that.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

pohleonguk
Wide Awake

#12 Post by pohleonguk » Sun May 07, 2006 10:03 pm

I would say I have watched it around 8 times :) Usually in the night, but thats when I normally watch movies and also alone...I have nobody to watch it with.

I am really feeling the urge to watch it again soon! It has been around 4 months since my last viewing, hehe. But I do not want to watch it too often otherwise it gets repetative. Its great to watch again when I feel down, it reminds me that life is not really as bad as it may seem...oh and I am starting to miss Charlotte lol! Maybe I will find my own Charlotte someday soon :)

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#13 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 3:38 am

I've only seen it three times. I own it on DVD, but I feel that like anything fine, it's best experienced rarely, to conserve its full effect. I also find it hard to find the time for it, because it demands a certain mood and a certain restfulness from me to enable me to appreciate it properly. Plus, since my wife just doesn't get the film there's no point watching it with her, and I have a three year-old daughter, which basically makes it impossible to watch it during the daylight hours, so I'm a bit constrained regarding times I can devote to it. However, when I do watch it I appreciate it all the more because I see it so rarely.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#14 Post by mothling » Tue May 09, 2006 1:56 pm

I have owned the movie on DVD since around October last year, and watched it only once then, but have found myself watching it 3 times within late Feb-present.

Upon my first viewing, I was struck by how I felt at the end of the movie. I have truly never felt that way before after watching a piece of film, but after that I didn't watch it again until last Feb.
Watching it then was the perfect viewing for me. I had watched it once before, so I could allow myself to get deep into the film without worry of missing some of the story points and really let myself think during the movie. I watched it at around 11pm, in my bedroom. I turned off all the lights except for fairy lights I have hanging around the walls. It really added to the serene, soft ambience of the movie. Then after the movie I lay on my bed and listened to the music over the ending credits.

Does anybody else find it impossible to turn off the movie before the credits are done?
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#15 Post by Pitman » Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm

mothling, exactly me too. I like to keep it rolling until Sofia's friend at the end waves goodbye. The soundtrack is just so awesome. I just got an iPod and will now have the soundtrack wherever I go.

I agree. This movie has touched a nerve in me so deep as no other movie could ever do. It's one of those rare events in life, or cinema, where all the elements come together to form a pristine culmination of efforts.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by mothling » Wed May 10, 2006 6:46 am

I have the soundtrack on my iPod too.
I listen to it a lot. especially when I am on the train or just trapsing around the city centre poking around shops.
It is one of the most soothing soundtracks I have ever heard. It puts me in such a perfect calm mood.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Pitman » Wed May 10, 2006 7:40 am

Yes, I just arrived at work from subway, and was listening to the soundtrack on iPod. I love the way the songs bring back vivid memories of the film. If I had never seen this movie, I doubt I would listen to half the stuff on this CD. But in the context of the movie, the music is brilliant and very sentimental.

kite
LIT Super Fan

#18 Post by kite » Wed May 10, 2006 9:53 am

''tommib'' is the most hauntingly beautiful song i've ever heard

I usually play the soundtrack in my stereo at full volume, when nobody is in the house of course.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Pitman » Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am

Tommib, yes...I agree. That's when Charlotte is sitting on the ledge in her hotel room looking out over the greatness of the Tokyo skyline. It's sad, and lonely and haunting indeed.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#20 Post by mothling » Wed May 10, 2006 12:14 pm

Tommib is amazing. The soundtrack alone is just one of the great many reasons why I am glad I came upon LiT.