Soul Mates

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

Soul Mates

#1 Post by Pitman » Sat May 06, 2006 2:47 am

I just finished watching this film for the 5th time. I did cry at the ending because I didn't want it to end. It's not that I didn't just want the film to end, I realized that this movie touches a deeper vein in me. I don't want a love I find to end. And, I don't want my life to end. But the sad reality of this existence is we must all move on, we will all in the end perish to a fate that is beyond our control. It is sad, but it is the reality of nature. We will be separated from our loved ones one way or another, and there's nothing we can do about that.

Until my mother passed a few years ago, I had never known a loved one to completely vanish from my life.

Bob and Charlotte do love each other. But what can they do? They are married to other people and the time is just not right for them. But, they had that incredible experience in Japan together. Incredible. These are the experiences we dream of. And the ending of the movie is so bitter-sweet because of their respective situations in life, not to mention their age differences (oh, I just mentioned it). But the odds are completely against them from connecting, yet they did. That is the beauty of it. They were able to bridge the age barrier, and find a soul mate in each other.

Do they connect again in the future or not?

Did Bob in any way drop Charlotte a line to contact him back in the USA? Or, was Bob resolved to leave that experience in Tokyo?

I am still deeply moved by this movie.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by jm » Sat May 06, 2006 1:50 pm

What could they have done that they didn't already do?
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pohleonguk
Wide Awake

#3 Post by pohleonguk » Sun May 07, 2006 10:16 pm

johnmonkey wrote:What could they have done that they didn't already do?
Get married, grow old together and live happily ever after? hehe :) But yeh, it is better to have experienced a real connection in life, atleast once, even if it is just for a brief moment. Better to have loved and lost as they say...

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by Flyonthewall » Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 am

pohleonguk wrote:it is better to have experienced a real connection in life, atleast once, even if it is just for a brief moment.
Couldn't have put it better myself. :)
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by jm » Tue May 09, 2006 5:38 am

"[quote:62a1d901dc="pohleonguk"]Get married, grow old together and live happily ever after? hehe :) But yeh, it is better to have experienced a real connection in life, atleast once, even if it is just for a brief moment. Better to have loved and lost as they say...[/quote:62a1d901dc]
Aren't they already married?
Would Bob get his kids on alternate weekends?
You can't marry everyone of the sex-of-interest whom you love."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#6 Post by mothling » Wed May 10, 2006 6:56 am

I think its nice that they didn't end up together.
As sad a fact as it is, many relationships which are perfect at the beginning, 20 years down the line aren't so great. Just look at Bob and Lydia for example. Or even Charlotte and John, only 2 years in.

I think their short and sweet relationship was perfect. There simply wasn't enough time for it to be tarnished, in a way. It was a beautiful perfect relationship that they will both remember for the rest of their lives.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by adrien950 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:55 am

I don't know if it's nice that they didn't end up together...that's what's so great about relationships..they're really unpredictible.
I know a couple who love each other,but are tired of hanging around each other all the time...and they have been married for 1 year!
I know another couple who still look at each other the way Bob and Charlotte did on there last night at the bar...and they have been married for 35 years!
So you never know...I think that's what is so amazingly about this film: It lets us decide where we want the story to go. :wink:

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#8 Post by mothling » Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 pm

Oh, of course I'm not denying that all relationships are indeed different, and there of course as ood a possibility that Bob and Charlotte could be exactly the same in their relationship right up until death do they part, all I simply meant was that, no matter what the outcome of years together, there was no risk of the time they did spend together being tarnished. Because it has ended, they will always look back on it fondly.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.