What is Bob thinking about after he puts Charlotte to bed?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

What is Bob thinking about after he puts Charlotte to bed?

#1 Post by Pitman » Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 am

There is so much running through Bob's mind as he tucks in Charlotte, exits the room making sure it's safe and secure, and idles back to his hotel room. Much of the motivation of the characters are expressed through eye contact and facial expressions alone. The silent scenes are powerful in this movie.

As Bob closes the door and walks back to his room, what is he thinking about? It looks like his mind is fertile with memories, possibly expectations. He's tired, but he is so awake in his mind. He has just formed a unique bond with Charlotte. A very trusting one that she let him carry her to bed, and she was clinging to him so comfortably. Could you imagine if John showed up at that moment, or if he was inside the room, what kind of confrontation there would be, to see his wife in the arms of another man.

It seems to me that there are so many thoughts running through Bob's mind. The night they just shared, the connection they just made, and the possibilities of that friendship.

pohleonguk
Wide Awake

#2 Post by pohleonguk » Sun May 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Yes that scene is such a fantastic one! As Sofia mentioned on the DVD I love the way they continued to play My Bloody Valentine in the hallway very lightly, it sorta echo's on from the taxi. Also the way Charlotte gives Bob a little smile as she snuggles into bed. Bob seemed a little hesistant closing the door, perhaps he was wondering if he should stay?

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by Flyonthewall » Tue May 09, 2006 2:45 am

Bob was prolly thinkin the same thing any man in his situation would've been.. Should I stay or not?

I think the fact that he called his wife as soon as he got back to his room suggests he wanted to get some sort support from her... to validate his decision to leave Charlotte and respect their individual relationships since she was also married. I think this was the right decision too btw.

Then, when Bob's wife pretty much dismisses him, which was why he even tells himself "Well that was a bright idea..." as he lulls himself to sleep...Im sure he was thinking to himself about how he misses Charlotte already..
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....