The Fire Alarm and Hey You

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

The Fire Alarm and Hey You

#1 Post by Pitman » Tue May 09, 2006 8:21 am

Life is just like that. We have these experiences where fate, for lack of a better term, orchestrates a connection between souls. There seems to be a higher power at work in LiT to have Bob and Charlotte stay in touch. After the worst lunch ever, they end up back in the hotel that night not together, but apart. No more “are you awake” notes or watching TV together. At this point in the movie it does look as if they had their final uncomfortable words and are not going to interact anymore. But were it not for that fire alarm, that remarkable thankful fire alarm, the symbolism thereby saying “put out the fire,” (relating to the lady in red) they would have slept right through the night and not had the wonderful opportunity to once again enjoy each other’s company. So, the proverbial fire of the first dispute between them, the jazz singer incident which Charlotte was so clearly jealous over, is now given the chance to be extinguished. They begin this by reconnecting in a meaningful way in the New York Bar as they spend their last night together. They are so into each other.

I did read in other threads here about the controversy of what happened in the elevator after that scene. Did Bob motion to Charlotte to come to his room? I never noticed the head and eye movements before until I read it on this board. I have to say that there is mounting evidence that the motioning of Bob to Charlotte is indeed an invite. I can not write this off as a nervous action on his part. He is too mature for that. His actions are always full of thought and deliberation. He felt comfortable with Charlotte enough to extend an invitation to her. The first time he motions, she isn’t looking. The next time he makes sure she is looking at him and he does it again more deliberately. She shyly smiles not accepting his invite.

The next morning in the lobby after Charlotte gives back Bob’s jacket, they again part ways but not on the best of terms. It seems Charlotte was waiting for Bob to say something to her, and he didn’t. And then she became hurt by this last goodbye as she walked off into the elevator. When she gets into the elevator she does actually glance at Bob. It’s hard to catch, but she does for a split second steal a glimpse at him. But, she is clearly sad and disappointed. And the pained look on Bob’s face as she walks away is evidence of that. There was something more to be said, something important to communicate. But Bob did not seize the opportunity.

Once again, fate would allow for this opportunity as Bob sees Charlotte from his limo on the way back to the airport. Again, an event which was not controlled by the characters. This offered Bob one last window to impart to Charlotte the words which she was longing to hear in the lobby. Finally, Charlotte is comforted. Bob is relieved.

I wonder if Sofia will one day reveal exactly what it was that Charlotte needed to hear from Bob? I do believe much of the story could be based on a personal experience Sofia had with an older gentleman in her past. Perhaps the story ended up that they parted ways, not on the best of terms, and no further contact was encouraged. Perhaps Sofia felt there were feelings not expressed, words not spoken. Just maybe she hoped the relationship would not end there.

Bob has already told Charlotte to keep writing. He said he wasn’t worried about her and that she wasn’t hopeless. She knows he has confidence in her. I don’t believe the last words were about Charlotte’s career path.

Personally, I have to say what would have given Charlotte the most confidence and comfort would be for Bob to extend an invitation to contact him back in Los Angeles. He could have said, drop me a line through my agent when you get back ok? This would have solidified their friendship. I think it was this that Charlotte was hoping to get. She wanted to know that this was not just going to be an experience for the memory books, but the start of a meaningful friendship.

The issue of the jazz singer and why Bob slept with her instead of Charlotte is important. As Charlotte is lost in her life, it’s not unreasonable to assume Charlotte would have slept with Bob given the right circumstance. Charlotte’s reaction to Bob sleeping with the jazz singer is evidence of her jealousy. I think if they had have slept together, then their relationship would have certainly ended in Japan. But for the fact that they didn’t, and they were able to reconnect on a purely platonic yet intimate level, shows the possibility for a continuing friendship.

How often do you meet someone half-way around the world who you feel so connected to? Fate brought them together. It would be up to them to extend their relationship. A friendship like this deserves the honour of preserving it.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#2 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 am

Wow...I really like this post.
I am a *HUGE* believer in coincidence/synchronicity/fate, and I very much see it in action in this film. There is someone on the other side of the world who I am very connected to, and the odds of us ever meeting and the way we met always feels to me like one of those "meant to be" things, so I totally agree with where you are coming from.
Beautiful post.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:00 pm

I don't think Charlotte was waiting for some earth-shattering statement from Bob. I think she just wanted him to tell her she was important to him. She could see it in his eyes, but she wanted to hear it. His holding back was really frustrating for her.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Pockets
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pockets » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 pm

As a woman, I understood Charlotte's frustration, but being older than her, I know that men just aren't very good at expressing their emotions in words. My boyfriend is actually very verbal for his sex, but there sometimes, there is a time delay to when it comes out. lol

But I also understand that because of how much feeling and respect that Bob has for Charlotte, at the end he is thinking very carefully about what he wants to say to her, and that takes time. I think that he wants to tell her how much the time spent together has meant to him and give her encouragement for her future inner growth. I'm sure that he thinks her husband isn't good enough for her, but it's not his place to tell her so and also he doesn't want her to have unrealistic hopes for him.

Another interesting aspect to this movie for me is that all of my life, I've been sort of a tomboy and had more (platonic) male friends than female buddies. And I'm sad that in this day and age, that I don't see very many strong opposite sex platonic. It seems that for those in their teens and twenties, there is a bigger gulf between the sexes in terms of common interests and respect. Young women seem to me to be more shallow and materialistic. Guys go out with only hot looking girls and give them $1000 Coach handbags for gifts. I am so happy not to be young now.

So watching the movie to me, if I relate it to my own experiences, Bob and Charlotte are more kindred spirits than potential soulmate lovers. Bob having more life experiences can mentor Charlotte's growth. She can offer him a younger and less jaded outlook on life. Is she jealous of that lounge singer? Perhaps, as Bob was a gentleman and respectfully honored Charlotte's married status, but I also felt that she was disapproving of his cheating on his wife and the lounge singer not being good enough for him. Sort of like a sister not liking her brother's choice of girlfriend. I feel that both Bob and Charlotte only want the best for each other in the most pure and selfless manner.