Background dialog

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

cmusic
Traveler

Background dialog

#1 Post by cmusic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:10 am

How many have paid attention to the background dialog? Last night when I was watching LIT (probably for my 20th time) I started noticing dialog that I had not paid attention to before.

When Charlotte and Bob go the hospital they stop by the directory board and decide to try “mixed internal”. There is a man there with a bandage on his forehead. Bob says to him “switched to beer?” The man says back “no, switched to sake” as Bob wheels Charlotte away.

During the hotel fire alarm the woman’s recorded instructions in English and then Japanese. (So I assume the majority of Park Hyatt’s guests is English speaking.)

I’m still trying to figure out all the things the translator said to Bob during his “Mathew’s Best Hits” TV appearance. I did hear her say “He wants to show you his Japanese dance”.

There is a lot of background dialog going on in the nightclub party where Bob first meets Charlie Brown.

I’ve found another reason to explore this movie.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Congruous » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:27 pm

The background dialogue adds depth to what we're watching...like the sequence when Bob is waiting for Charlotte at the hospital and is "talking" to the old man and the two women in the background are desperately trying to not laugh...and, of course, all the noise going on while Bob and Charlotte hug at the end of the movie.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by You Make it Easy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Yah those two women in the background laughing always bothers me. .
Waiting to be found...

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by jm » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:06 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pitman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:55 pm

johnmonkey wrote:
You Make it Easy wrote:Yah those two women in the background laughing always bothers me. .
One of them is the man's daughter.
That was such a funny scene and natural. You can tell it was mostly ad lib. I like the way Bill Murray was looking back at those two women to notice their reaction and reacted to that in his antics. Great moment!

Pitman
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pitman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:04 am

You Make it Easy wrote:Yah those two women in the background laughing always bothers me. .
Really? Why does it bother you? Bob feeds off their laughter as he speaks with the older man. He is tickled by their laughing. It's one of the most natural and funny scenes in the movie.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by mothling » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Yeah I love that partof the movie. Very obvious bit of improv going on there, and very well done it was too.

I guess You Make It Easy may be bothered by the scene as the two laughing ladies do make it stand out as a piece of improv. I on the other hand find it only adds to the scene.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by jm » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:39 pm

(As an old hand at LIT discussions, I'd like to thank everyone for not suggesting that the old man was an old woman.) :lol: