Subtle observations.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Message
Author
jm
Inactive/Deleted user
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 1:10 am

#21 Post by jm » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:24 pm

"[quote:da9b811c99="Ithildriel65"][quote:da9b811c99="Congruous"]Subtle or not, if Scarlett/Charlotte walked right in front of my face wearing sheer pink panties, she wouldn't have taken another step without me being wrapped all over her.[/quote:da9b811c99]

Well, I tried this at home, and what I got was "you're blocking the t.v." :roll:[/quote:da9b811c99]
Without a photograph to base our judgement on..."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

Girl in elevator

#22 Post by Pitman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:44 pm

I just noticed for the first time...in the elevator when Charlotte looks at Bob for the first time (but doesn't remember it), there is a little Japanese girl on the elevator with her mom who looks like she is going to pee her pants...it's so funny!!!

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

Alarm

#23 Post by Pitman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Again, another first for observations....when Charlotte calls her sister, Lauren, about how she is feeling, there is the background of Tokyo, and there's an alarm in the background. I have never observed this, and thought it was really interesting....a coincidence, or actually very well planned that that sound would accompany Charlotte's feeling of being lost.

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

Charlotte connects first.

#24 Post by Pitman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:09 pm

It's interesting to see that Charlotte was the one to consciously connect to Bob. He didn't initiate the connection, it was her. She saw something in Bob that she related to, and wanted to find out what it was.

User avatar
kite
LIT Super Fan
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:10 pm

#25 Post by kite » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:44 am

maybe that's why the movie starts with her a** on the screen :lol:

User avatar
blades7896
Alone in Kyoto
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: England

Re: Alarm

#26 Post by blades7896 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Pitman wrote:Again, another first for observations....when Charlotte calls her sister, Lauren, about how she is feeling, there is the background of Tokyo, and there's an alarm in the background. I have never observed this, and thought it was really interesting....a coincidence, or actually very well planned that that sound would accompany Charlotte's feeling of being lost.
There is also the weird motorbike sound in this same scene that appears from time to time.
Image

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

First time noticed.

#27 Post by Pitman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:24 pm

So....after 15 viewings...I only noticed this for the first time. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

The one and only time Bob looks directly into the camera is during the Karaoke scene when he sings "...is all hope lost..."

Never noticed that before...hmm.

User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

#28 Post by burgundy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Yep -- I noticed that in my first viewing. It's a no-no when actors look in the camera. I figure Sofia left it in because the rest of the scene was so good. No point doing another take.

I also think Charlotte's out of focus face in the close up a the bar after the fire alarm is another goof up that was left in. Her face really should be in focus but isn't.

Here's another observation. Notice the unheard "I love you" on the phone. It happens to Charlotte when talking to Lauren. Lauren says it to Charlotte but she doesn't hear it as she hangs up quickly. Bob says it to Lydia in one of the conversations (after the night out I think) but Lydia has hung up already.

It may not have much direct significance, other than these people are "lost" and their expressions of love in their lives go unheard at this time. This leaves their own simmering thoughts of affection for each other.
With intensity.

User avatar
LostCalls
Lounge Singer
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

Re: Alarm

#29 Post by LostCalls » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:37 am

Pitman wrote:Again, another first for observations....when Charlotte calls her sister, Lauren, about how she is feeling, there is the background of Tokyo, and there's an alarm in the background. I have never observed this, and thought it was really interesting....a coincidence, or actually very well planned that that sound would accompany Charlotte's feeling of being lost.
I think there are other similar moments when relative close-ups of Charlotte are accompanied by a soft siren sound from outside. Definitely once when she's laying on her bed... I'll need to watch again to note the moments. This is getting almost ridiculously subtle, but throughout the film there are these bird like sounds that have a similar rhythm to the siren sounds--I swear we hear them more than once (one time I notice is just as Charlotte arrives at the shrine where the monks are chanting--just before the "On the Subway" music fades out). Somehow, I don't think there's a conscious link between these types of rhythmic sounds and Charlotte or her mood; I'm probably just going crazy.

User avatar
LostCalls
Lounge Singer
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

#30 Post by LostCalls » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:53 am

I've got a question about another "subtle observation" issue. In the short scene in which Bob is shaving (when he receives a phone call saying he's got a fax), he shaves with an unusually small razor. This, I think, is a reference to the film North by Northwest--Cary Grant's character in that film has a similar small-razor shaving moment in a train station rest room. My question: is there some nuanced connection between these films that Sophia is trying to quietly suggest? This could be just an intertextual reference for its own sake that belies no greater connection... but given the references to La Dolce Vita and Kurosawa's Dreams (references which do fruitfully inform some small aspect of LiT), I wondered if there's some element of NbNW that relates to LiT. (I'm a big Hitchcock fan, so I'd be interested to hear of any thoughts on this.)

User avatar
LostCalls
Lounge Singer
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

#31 Post by LostCalls » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Another small detail that I noticed in the moment just before the one I wrote about above. Just before Bob shaves with that small razor (and subsequently interrupted by the phone call from the hotel about the fax), we see him looking in the mirror. For the first instant we see him, his eyes are closed; then, he pops both eyes open in the same time to catch his reflection in the mirror. It's as if he's playing the "Do I still exist?" or "Can I see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed if I'm fast enough?" game. This is akin to trying to see if the light in the refrigerator goes off when the door is closed...

Aside from being a small, slightly humorous moment, I feel as if this little game that Bob plays with himself in the mirror suggests the same type of uncertainty that he feels about being away from home. It's like he's asking himself, "If I take away everything I know that usually surrounds me, will I still exist? Will I still know who and where I am?"

It's funny too that a slight look of frustration appears on Bob's face when he realizes that he does, in fact, see himself in the mirror. There's a playful sort of annoyance that he hasn't seen himself disappear.

User avatar
ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 6:02 am
Location: Park Hyatt, Tokyo

#32 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

LostCalls wrote:I've got a question about another "subtle observation" issue. In the short scene in which Bob is shaving (when he receives a phone call saying he's got a fax), he shaves with an unusually small razor. This, I think, is a reference to the film North by Northwest--Cary Grant's character in that film has a similar small-razor shaving moment in a train station rest room. My question: is there some nuanced connection between these films that Sophia is trying to quietly suggest? This could be just an intertextual reference for its own sake that belies no greater connection... but given the references to La Dolce Vita and Kurosawa's Dreams (references which do fruitfully inform some small aspect of LiT), I wondered if there's some element of NbNW that relates to LiT. (I'm a big Hitchcock fan, so I'd be interested to hear of any thoughts on this.)
I think it could be a possible connection, though I immediately associated the small razor with the Japanese lifestyle, take a look at the shower head, it only reaches up to Bob's shoulders. Now that I think about it, I am going to have one hell of time trying to take a shower there when I visit...I am 6'4! :lol:
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

User avatar
Bren
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Great Britain
Contact:

#33 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:17 am

ForRelaxingTimes wrote:
LostCalls wrote:I've got a question about another "subtle observation" issue. In the short scene in which Bob is shaving (when he receives a phone call saying he's got a fax), he shaves with an unusually small razor. This, I think, is a reference to the film North by Northwest--Cary Grant's character in that film has a similar small-razor shaving moment in a train station rest room. My question: is there some nuanced connection between these films that Sophia is trying to quietly suggest? This could be just an intertextual reference for its own sake that belies no greater connection... but given the references to La Dolce Vita and Kurosawa's Dreams (references which do fruitfully inform some small aspect of LiT), I wondered if there's some element of NbNW that relates to LiT. (I'm a big Hitchcock fan, so I'd be interested to hear of any thoughts on this.)
I think it could be a possible connection, though I immediately associated the small razor with the Japanese lifestyle, take a look at the shower head, it only reaches up to Bob's shoulders. Now that I think about it, I am going to have one hell of time trying to take a shower there when I visit...I am 6'4! :lol:
Yeah, I get the feeling Japanese men (in particular) aren't as tall as us westerners! :lol: (Examplified by you and me - 6' 4 & 6' 2. :lol: )
"Everyone wants to be found."

Pockets
Suntory Time
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: In a blue state

#34 Post by Pockets » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Japanese people have less body hair... so hence the smaller sized razor.

User avatar
Bren
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Great Britain
Contact:

#35 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Pockets wrote:Japanese people have less body hair... so hence the smaller sized razor.
Ah yeah, forgot about that!
"Everyone wants to be found."

User avatar
gunforhire
Tourist
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:23 am

#36 Post by gunforhire » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Ahoy there everyone! I have a few non-groundbreaking revelations.

Charlotte is probably named for Charlotte Rampling. I read Sofia tried to buy a the famous Helmut Newton photo of Rampling, nude in a hotel, looking to the camera. Given what Sofia is a fan of, I think it's safe to say she indeed is a fan of Rampling.

The owl pillow/stuffed animal - owls are a symbol of knowledge and wisdom.

Did Charlotte's photography phase have anything to do with her relationship with John? Did she 'fall' for him during that time, or did she get into photography after she got better to know him?

User avatar
Old Member B
Charlie Brown
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:53 am
Location: in heaven

#37 Post by Old Member B » Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm

..
Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ash27
Lost In Jet Lag
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:09 am

Room number

#38 Post by Ash27 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Has anyone noticed that when they meet (swimming pool) and arrange to go out they don't actualy say there room numbers, so how does Bob know what room to go too?

User avatar
Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Room number

#39 Post by Cryogenic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Ash27 wrote:Has anyone noticed that when they meet (swimming pool) and arrange to go out they don't actualy say there room numbers, so how does Bob know what room to go too?
Charlotte doesn't give Bob a time, either.
Image

User avatar
preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:23 am

#40 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:40 pm

They never introduce themselves either. Maybe Charlotte knows Bob by reputation, but he wouldn't know her name.

Just have to assume it happened off screen. Maybe they continued to talk after the first "Wish I could sleep" conversation at the bar.

Post Reply