Subtle observations.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

StillNotFound
Tourist

#41 Post by StillNotFound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Mercenary Sora wrote:In the scene in which John is putting together his camera on the phone talking about the Japanese band that Charolette takes an unneccesary detour, walking in front of John. She goes to get ascarf and sit on the bed. That was unneccesary for her to do that, people would just reach across her bed to get it. I think it showed another sign of lonliness and desperation for it, so desperate she would make a sexual jesture to get John to pay attention. Becasuse she has those pink panties on and walks right in front of Johns face. That's what I think.
Nooooo!

I thought this bit was obvious, but no one on here as mentioned it....

That scene is shortly after Charlotte bashes her toe. She walks in front on John barefoot to see if he notices. He is so wrapped up in himself he doesn't even notice any bruising, let alone ask if she is all right.

To me this failure of him to notice any physical change/damage to Charlotte represents a level of emotional detachment too. Whereas on the other hand, when Bob sees it he makes a fuss and takes her to the hospital....

Snow monkey
Traveler

#42 Post by Snow monkey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

One detail I noticed:

In every outdoor scene where there is not too much city noise, you can here bird calls (usually crows) or birds singing. When Charlotte visits the shrine, the golfing scene, Charlotte in Kyoto, even the short scene where Charlotte and Bob are walking back after the hospital visit a bird is calling in the background.

It happens in so many scenes that Sophia must have edited them in, or so I would think. Either that or birds are really ubiquitous and loud in Japan. I really wonder why Sophia would do that.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#43 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am

Hans wrote:One detail I noticed:

In every outdoor scene where there is not too much city noise, you can here bird calls (usually crows) or birds singing. When Charlotte visits the shrine, the golfing scene, Charlotte in Kyoto, even the short scene where Charlotte and Bob are walking back after the hospital visit a bird is calling in the background.

It happens in so many scenes that Sophia must have edited them in, or so I would think. Either that or birds are really ubiquitous and loud in Japan. I really wonder why Sophia would do that.
I found from the times I visited Japan that the sound of rooks/crows? was especially prominent. I can vividly recall walking across a deserted haciko intersection at 6-7am one morning and finding a whole bunch of them congregating around some trash left outside a store and crowing away. Tokyo doesn't appear to me to be as loud as you would think. Away from the main streets the noise of traffic quickly dies away. Kyoto even more so. The sound of the birds as charlotte walks out of the heian jingu is pretty reminiscent of the place. Whether it was dubbed in later or not is another question, but even if it wasn't entitirely accurate, it's still fairly representative.