Demanding Better DVD

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

LJ Rucker
Traveler

Demanding Better DVD

#1 Post by LJ Rucker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:10 am

Sure, the most important thing about a DVD is, of course, the film. But the features, the commentary, the interviews, the documentaries, the inside looks, they are so interesting when it's one of your favorite films.

In my opinion, Lost in Translation needs a new edition of DVD. Packed with features. Anyone else agree? I'm writing to Focus Features. Who's with me?!?!
"What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?"

Congruous
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Congruous » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:03 pm

I'm not sure I would buy another DVD. Having said that, I would like to see all of the documentary that was shot during the making of the movie, assuming that there is more to see than what is shown on the present DVD.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

kite
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by kite » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 pm

I have to agree with you, I don't know what else to put in this post, im useless

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Yes, absolutely! The more info and film about LiT the better. I'm sure the producers could release a more definative DVD!!!

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#5 Post by mothling » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 am

Congruous wrote:I'm not sure I would buy another DVD.
:o

Personally, I would be all over a new definitive DVD like a rash... in a less gross way.

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a DVD loaded with lots of extra features. Seeing as Bill said LiT is probably the best film he has ever done, I'm sure he would come back and record a commentary, Sofia too, and in a perfect world Scarlett but it seems she's a busy girl nowadays and might not be able to fit it in.
I'd love to see a gag reel, many more documentaries; including the making of and piecing together of the soundtrack/score.

As a mini extra or maybe a hidden Easter Egg, they could put the footage of Sofia winning her Oscar. ;)
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by jm » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:40 pm

"[quote:e35a5677ac="mothling"]As a mini extra or maybe a hidden Easter Egg, they could put the footage of Sofia winning her Oscar. ;)[/quote:e35a5677ac]
Hell, I went out on the web and found enough related audio, interviews mostly, to fill three CDs. Come on you guys, get cracking! :wink:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by mothling » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm

johnmonkey wrote:
mothling wrote:As a mini extra or maybe a hidden Easter Egg, they could put the footage of Sofia winning her Oscar. ;)
Hell, I went out on the web and found enough related audio, interviews mostly, to fill three CDs. Come on you guys, get cracking! :wink:
Wow, I'm jealous!

A far reaching idea for an extra would be to see Sofia and Bill go out on the town in Tokyo and try to relive many of the moments of LiT; such as getting a bit drunk and singing Karaoke, and visiting the nightclubs, then hanging at the NYBar and Grill. This is just a dream, but a good one none-the-less. :)
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#8 Post by Suntory » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 pm

There is another thread on the forum about a Criterion Edition which would be a super special edition. That topic was about writing to Criterion to lobby them to release a special edition of LIT.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Pitman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 am

Guys, all amazing ideas.

But I would really really like to see Sofia return to LiT at some point and release an extended version of the movie. I'm thinking (and hoping) there were enough extra shots taken (like the robots scene) that didn't make it on to the final cut which could be included on the definative version. I'd like to see the movie stretch out to 2 hours if there's enough good footage.

SOFIA!! IF YOU EVER READ THIS THREAD, PLEASE CONSIDER IT!!!

PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!! ON MY KNNNEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!

:)

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#10 Post by Flyonthewall » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:12 pm

That would be an awesome idea. Re-release LIT with the deleted scenes. I really hope they consider it. :wink: :D
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Congruous
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Congruous » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:00 pm

Sorry to be contrary, but I love the movie the way it is. I don't believe extra length would make me love it more. I wouldn't mind seeing more deleted scenes and documentary, but the movie itself is untouchable, as far as I'm concerned.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Pitman
Suntory Time

#12 Post by Pitman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Congrous, I totally understand. But, if they released an extended version, that doesn't have to take away from the original. Besides, you don't have to watch it!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:14 pm

I suppose I´m writing this mainly because the last post was made on Wednesday by myself, and as things are so quiet I thought i´d try and kickstart things a little.

An extended version of LIT. I have been a member of this forum for a while now, and mostly the topics relating to the film itself have been regarding those that an extended version would answer, so in part it may negate the need for this forum in a way. However, as much as I love the film, it has to be asked, would you really want to know what was said at the final kiss? A great part of LIT´s strength is its ability to be interpreted in so many ways. If sophia was to release an extended version, and reveal her motives behind each and every scene, perhaps it would take away a lot of the mystique, which is perhaps why the original dvd is a little devoid of features. I think including further deleted scenes may provide a confused view of the film, and anyhow, wasn´t it the original version that first captivated you? I believe that there are further scenes which haven´t been released, such as that of bob and charlotte running down the street that was previously mentioned, and there are still photos of bob buying the owl in the hospital which must have been filmed. As a fan of the film it would be interesting to see them, but i think it may detract. However, perhaps if the members of the forum were to lobby for an extended version, the forum itself could acheive a sense of purpose, as the point will eventually come where the ability for comment will exhaust itself.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Pitman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:37 am

As for me, I don't particularly want to see an extended version if it explains the final scene. I'd rather make up my own decision about what was said and what happens after that.

But, what I'd love to see in an extended film version are more scenes where Charlotte is exploring Tokyo and Kyoto, (like the robot scene), and an extended night out on Tokyo...more party scenes, and a longer ride home so we can hear more of Sometimes by MBV. I just think some of the scenic sections of the movie are so beautiful, and they can be all extended just a little bit.

I wouldn't mind if the movie stretched out to 2 hours with scenes like these. Also, extend the conversation scenes, like the first night where Charlotte encounters Bob at the bar.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#15 Post by findingcharlotte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:37 am

Some extras would be great..Im sure theres some B reel around somewhere...
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#16 Post by blades7896 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:25 pm

The film as it is, is the definative directors cut. I would love to see some more extra scenes, but not cut into the original film.