Locations - From Google Earth!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jesusman
Traveler

Locations - From Google Earth!

#1 Post by jesusman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Hay everyone, it was a pleasant surprise to stumble accross this forum; I've been trolling for a few days and this is my 1st post.
I was bored so I decided to find all the locations in the film using Google Earth; so here it is, enjoy!

Special thanks to Google, Google Earth, Wikipedia, Wikimapia, info found in the "Locations in the film?" thread, and various online articles.
I’ve never been to Japan so I did the best I could hunting these places down. So if I got anything wrong please let me know!

HEIAN JINGU is a medieval styled shrine with sorrounding gardens, as well as 3 ponds. The one Charlotte walks accross is the middle one
The stepping stone path can be seen in the upper right of my red circle.

PARK HYATT, no explanation needed.
The arrow indicates the ramp that Bob and Charlotte walks up after returning from the hospital.

SHINJUKU is the business district where they stay.
Tokyo University HOSPITAL is indicated by my upper red circle; while the PARK HYATTis at the bottom.
Also, the obscure JUGAN JI SHRINE should be somewhere in this picture.

SHIBUYA is the entertainment center of Tokyo. Charlotte walked through the pedestrian crossing shown below; where the huge LCD projections of nonsensical dinosaurs are.
The following places are all situated in Shibuya, within walking or short-driving distance of the spot shown:
-KARAOKE-KAN
-SHABU-ZEN SUSHI ("i'm switching to beer")
-IKKAN SUSHI ("brack toe")
-AIR nightclub (charlie brown)

Overview of Shinjuku (top) and Shibuya (bottom)

Overview of Tokyo International Airport plus the Suspension bridge seen several times in the film.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#2 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Nice!! thanks for posting :D

Now if I can just make the time to go there and experience it.. like our friend Lipyourstocking.. lol
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey, that's really cool. :)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#4 Post by Suntory » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:23 pm

Oh my lord! :shock:

And just when we and johnmonkey :D thought there was nothing left to talk about or get out of this film!
That's aweseome!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 pm

if you look at the expanded picture of Heian Jingu, the path you would follow takes a clockwise direction, with the entry to the garden being at the top left hand corner of the open courtyard. The pov of the camera as charlotte walks across the courtyard is from this corner, looking towards the exit and the road. You then pass the three ponds in size order smallest to largest. The torii gate to the temple is some way outside the grounds, you can see the small red strip crossing the road further down.
If you came out of the temple and followed the road down towards this gate, and then turned left once you hit the river, you could follow this for about 15 minutes to the approximate location of the nanzenji temple (the one where charlotte observes the wedding ceremony).

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by tsooml » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

"[quote:20a4ebb3dd="Suntory"]And just when we and johnmonkey :D thought there was nothing left to talk about or get out of this film! [/quote:20a4ebb3dd]

I, the User Formerly Known As Johnmonkey, stand by that statement -- without disrespecting the fun of this thread."
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bob_san » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:17 pm

The user formerly known as.....?!??! What's up with that?! :?:

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by tsooml » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:34 pm

"[quote:3401e604ff="Bob_san"]The user formerly known as.....?!??! What's up with that?! :?:[/quote:3401e604ff]
I'm just getting away from 'johnmonkey' where I am that, and switching to this. 8)"
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bob_san » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Ok cool but don't tell me you are not Spock because clearly you are Spock! :shock: Or at least he is an "icon" to you. . . :P