When does Charlotte notice that Bob is a movie star?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

When does Charlotte notice that Bob is a movie star?

#1 Post by burgundy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

One thing that puzzled me from the first time I saw LIT was why Charlotte never appears to notice or comment on the fact that Bob is this big movie star. Unless I am missing something, this is a flaw in the script. If she has heard of him, then at some point she would have to acknowledge it. Like when they bump into each other in the bar for a drink. He says he's in town promoting Suntory for $2 million. If she didn't know who he was before then, then that would be cause for comment.

I know all these things can't be clarified perfectly given the limits of time in the movie, but it struck me as odd. Only later when they see the trailer ad for him on the street is this acknowledged by her.

This is part of the problem with their relationship perhaps. He is a star and perhaps used to attention from all kinds of people, including women. That gives him a certain distance and skepticism. It's refreshing that Charlotte doesn't go into some fawning movie fan mode. And it's great that she teases him about various things such as the mid life crisis and the orange military t-shirt, etc. This would really cut through a lot of the standard fan adoration that he would usually get. Maybe that's how Charlotte breaks through to him initially. But in the end, Bob's inherent desirability as a star perhaps makes him too jaded to pursue things further. She would probably be up for it however.

Maybe another question to ponder is what would have happened if Bob wasn't a star but just an ordinary person? I'm not sure how it would have changed the dynamic, but it might have.
With intensity.

Congruous
Suntory Time
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:59 pm

#2 Post by Congruous » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:44 pm

I don't think it would be stretching things too much to assume that she knew who he was when she first spotted him.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

#3 Post by burgundy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes, I think that is most likely.

But then it's a bit odd that she never conveys this either to the audience/camera or to him. As far as developing their friendship, I think this may have endeared her to Bob.
With intensity.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 pm

#4 Post by tsooml » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:44 pm

"[quote:384b4f0ff3="Congruous"]I don't think it would be stretching things too much to assume that she knew who he was when she first spotted him.[/quote:384b4f0ff3]
Well, I don't think he made the kind of movies she'd like -- and I'm not sure they weren't made before she was of an age to go see them in the theater!"
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mothling
LIT Super Fan
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:21 pm

#5 Post by mothling » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:39 pm

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume that she either didn't know who he was, or didn't care who he was.

The fact that the movie didn't explain everything is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's nice to come up with your own theory as to why she didn't ask him about his movies.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:47 pm

#6 Post by I65 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:45 pm

mothling wrote:I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume that she either didn't know who he was, or didn't care who he was.

The fact that the movie didn't explain everything is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's nice to come up with your own theory as to why she didn't ask him about his movies.
Because if she asked him about his movies, then this relationship never happens. She's just another star struck fan.

She saw Bob the man, not BOB the MOVIE STAR.

On another forum, I posted a picture of a song of Janis Joplin, and someone asked me, why couldn't someone make her feel loved?

Celebrities reach this idol like state with us. Excessive charisma can be a curse. People forget that they are still human and need the same things all of us do. Love, touch, understanding.

User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

#7 Post by burgundy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:59 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:
mothling wrote:I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume that she either didn't know who he was, or didn't care who he was.

The fact that the movie didn't explain everything is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's nice to come up with your own theory as to why she didn't ask him about his movies.
Because if she asked him about his movies, then this relationship never happens. She's just another star struck fan.

She saw Bob the man, not BOB the MOVIE STAR.

On another forum, I posted a picture of a song of Janis Joplin, and someone asked me, why couldn't someone make her feel loved?

Celebrities reach this idol like state with us. Excessive charisma can be a curse. People forget that they are still human and need the same things all of us do. Love, touch, understanding.
I know what you mean but I would still have thought she would acknowledge who he was in some way. She had a teasing sort of way with him ("have you bought a porsche yet?), so I would have thought she might have said something in that vein about his star status. To me, it's a script flaw.

But you're right about her wanting to see Bob the person and not Bob the star.
With intensity.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:47 pm

#8 Post by I65 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:02 pm

burgundy wrote:
Ithildriel65 wrote:
mothling wrote:I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume that she either didn't know who he was, or didn't care who he was.

The fact that the movie didn't explain everything is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's nice to come up with your own theory as to why she didn't ask him about his movies.
Because if she asked him about his movies, then this relationship never happens. She's just another star struck fan.

She saw Bob the man, not BOB the MOVIE STAR.

On another forum, I posted a picture of a song of Janis Joplin, and someone asked me, why couldn't someone make her feel loved?

Celebrities reach this idol like state with us. Excessive charisma can be a curse. People forget that they are still human and need the same things all of us do. Love, touch, understanding.
I know what you mean but I would still have thought she would acknowledge who he was in some way. She had a teasing sort of way with him ("have you bought a porsche yet?), so I would have thought she might have said something in that vein about his star status. To me, it's a script flaw.

But you're right about her wanting to see Bob the person and not Bob the star.
She does when they wave at his visage on the bus going by in the street that night. That is their moment when they take a minute to acknowledge, yes you are a star, oh yes, yes i am...and then go back to being Bob and Charlotte.

User avatar
Bob_san
Site Admin
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 3:55 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

#9 Post by Bob_san » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:15 pm

I want to welcome new users like Burgundy to the forum!
It's been awhile since we got a new member as enthusiastic even after the film having been out about 3 years now.

I would also like to welcome "the member formerly known as johnmonkey" as he makes his way once again through the "ranks"! :shock:

User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

#10 Post by burgundy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks Bob-san. Thanks for keeping this site going for all us LIT addicts. It definitely beats methadone.

I realize I may be just about the last person on Earth to have seen LIT. I had friends who told me to see it when it came out but for some reason I never got around to it.

Better late than never.
With intensity.

User avatar
findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:16 pm

#11 Post by findingcharlotte » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:24 pm

thanks Bob-san............for us long timers..Im always happy to return and find this special place. Every once in a while now I return to the movie to re - live its magic , ( I miss it ) then return here to find others who were lucky enough to find / feel Sofias message...
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Nak Nak
Awake
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

#12 Post by Nak Nak » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 am

She does make mention of it in the bad lunch scene. "Back when you were still making movies."
----------------
It's a godawful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

#13 Post by Pitman » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:44 pm

Nak Nak wrote:She does make mention of it in the bad lunch scene. "Back when you were still making movies."
Exactly, she did know...it just wan't her character to be a typical fan.

User avatar
burgundy
Ikebana Fan
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Toronto

#14 Post by burgundy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Yes, she knew obviously.

I just thought it wasn't handled at all when they first met. To me, that's a script weakness because it seems unrealistic. She knows the guy is a big movie star and says nothing. I don't think so. She could have said something quickly unfawning and got on with the normal conversation.
With intensity.

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

#15 Post by Pitman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:42 am

Well, the other flaw in the script is if she knew he was a film star, she would have recognized him the moment she looked at him in the elevator. So, maybe...just maybe she doesn't really know who he is until they have their first chat at the bar and he reveals he's doing a million dollar ad for Suntory.

User avatar
blades7896
Alone in Kyoto
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: England

#16 Post by blades7896 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:57 am

'So what are you doing here?'

Charlotte goes up to him, sits at the bar and asks Bob this without any sort of introduction. She knows he is famous, but she dosen't treat him differently. That is what is so refreshing to him.
Image

User avatar
Pitman
Suntory Time
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Toronto

#17 Post by Pitman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Yup...good point. Charlotte is educated....very unlikely she wouldn't know who Bob is.

User avatar
hull_street
WooHoo Guy
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:05 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

#18 Post by hull_street » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:17 pm

I don't think this is a flaw in the script. Rather, it's a reflection of who Charlotte is. She is not one who is impressed with celebrity. Her husband works as a professional photographer, has a lot of acquaintances in the business, and perhaps because of this familiarity, she is not as impressed in meeting someone "famous" as other people might be. It's an early indication that her value system is driven by different forces. This is also what allows her to connect so quickly with Bob. She sees the real person in front of her, instead of the celebrity, which Bob probably finds refreshing.

User avatar
LostCalls
Lounge Singer
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:34 am

#19 Post by LostCalls » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:35 am

I agree that Charlotte recognizes Bob as a film celebrity with that early line "So what are you doing here," as was previously posted. I think the fact that Charlotte has such an easy manner about her when she asks this--and Bob, in turn, responds in a similarly casual yet sincere fashion--foreshadows the type of unspoken but deep understanding that the two will develop over the course of the week. Bob and Charlotte's relationship thrives, I think, on audible silences, on inside jokes that are understood though never even once verbally articulated. An example of this same type of understanding--one that seemingly bypasses many layers of speech that other people might require to make sense of a situation--comes when Bob and Charlotte stumble upon Kelly's pathetic rendition of "Nobody Does It Better". Immediately, even before the stifled laughter begins to appear on Charlotte's face, she and Bob both recognize their common place in relation to the scene in front of them. They don't need to actively keep each other from laughing at Kelly as they pass or make some sarcastic remark about her less than stellar singing; rather, they both almost automatically assume a faux stoic walk and expression which belies both of their feelings harmoniously--and in a way that reveals their connection easily to us viewers.

In a way, I think this reduction of spoken language is what makes the film so poignant. One of the lines that hit me the hardest was Charlotte's simple statement "That was the worst lunch" during the fire alarm sequence. Here again, the two recognize in this statement that all of the coldness of the previous day--all of the likewise unspoken resentment--is immediately forgiven. Enfolded into this simple line, then, is--to my mind--a complete recognition and forgiving of human weakness and error. Neither Bob nor Charlotte mentions any futher specifics about what made the lunch so bad (the rude comments, Bob's sleeping with the jazz singer previously), but both of them instantly understand that all of these elements are being addressed just under the surface of "That was the worst lunch." Basically, Bob and Charlotte speak (and sometimes don't speak, as it were) in the same way, and this provides great comfort for both.

(Sorry for the length/rambling; this is my first post!)

User avatar
BrassInPocket
Wide Awake
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: Wisconsin

#20 Post by BrassInPocket » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:42 am

Wow...no need to apologize! That was a *wonderful* first post. :)

Post Reply