What does Bob say to Lydia as he's hanging up the phone?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

What does Bob say to Lydia as he's hanging up the phone?

#1 Post by burgundy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Sorry folks but this is bugging me.

When Bob talks to Lydia after his big karaoke night out, he says something as he's hanging up the phone. The problem is the sound of him hanging up the phone blocks out what he's saying. I figure it's something to do with the fact that he said "I love you" to Lydia but he's just realized that she hung up already and didn't hear it.
With intensity.

silentguest
Evelyn Waugh

#2 Post by silentguest » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:15 am

I think he says "That was a stupid idea"

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#3 Post by burgundy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 am

Thank you!!!

That is what he says. I just played it again and it's quite clear. I wonder why I couldn't hear it before.

Wow -- that definitely shows how out of favour his relationship has become. And his opening comments about how great the burgundy is. This sounds like he's just making conversation. He's doesn't really care.

And we are supposed to believe this man will happily return to his wife when he goes home? That's a bit of a stretch. But at the same time I know that habits are hard to break.
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 pm

I couldn't hear that line either until i read it here. Bob's situation is the classic stay together for the kids scenario. If it weren't for them, he probably would leave his wife. They obviously have grown apart. That is why his connection to Charlotte is so important. And rather than it making him a better husband to Lydia, I hold out the belief that in the end Bob did say to Charlotte to contact him when she returns home so they will not lose the special friendhip they have found.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by tsooml » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:04 am

"[quote:57c23d93ce]I couldn't hear that line either until i read it here.[/quote:57c23d93ce]
Guys -- American DVDs often have English subtitles!"
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#6 Post by burgundy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Thanks Spock. Yeah, I'm slow on the uptake sometimes. Plus subtitles can be unreliable -- although that's usually the case with translation rather than same language captioning.
With intensity.