Happy ending or depressing ending, and what it says about us

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#21 Post by 52FM » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 pm

"She's a submissive personality, and I think that she would more quickly find her inner voice if she were single."

Excellent point.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#22 Post by tsooml » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:21 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#23 Post by 52FM » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 pm

Based on a sample of one, people with complex personalities that have submissive personalities wind up supressing themselves in favor of "pleasing" the person who is more dominant or aggressive in the relationship. After many years, the submissive person pushes his/her real personality so deep that the partner doesn't realize it's happening.

Eventually, the complex person realizes he/she is not being true to himself/herself - and it comes out in a conflict that to the partner seems to have come out of the blue.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#24 Post by tsooml » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:14 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#25 Post by 52FM » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:51 pm

As much of the movie discussion is - this is speculation and projection based on the slice of life we saw.

All I'm saying is that Charlotte could grow very discontent over time if the roles continue without communication (as my "sample of one" - me - did).

That doesn't equate to "she shoudl divorce him" - granted. In my opinion it translates to "see shoudl not be silent about her discontent.":

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#26 Post by tsooml » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:55 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#27 Post by Pitman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:53 am

I'd say the marriage is less likely to work as Charlotte gets more independent. If John married her for her looks mostly, he's more interested in a trophy wife. Charlotte would find more intellectually stimulating men outside of John. There's just not enough understanding between them. John think she's mean and a snob. This does not bode well for the relationship. 1 year tops, from the time of their trip to Tokyo, then they are done.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#28 Post by Pockets » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 pm

thesoundofonemanlaughing wrote:"And here is why I think so" would be an excellenter point.
Spoken like a typical male. You don't realize that as a man, you naturally get to be the alpha in a relationship. I believe that all the Charlottes in the world would like to have a voice, and one that is listened to and taken seriously by their peers. John is and will never be Charlotte's intellectual equal. He would do much better and be happier married to a Kelly-type. John and Charlotte respect different things in life. John is more all about the social scene of the beautiful and People magazine type talent. Charlotte would be more in tune with writers and theatre people. In fact, I could better see Charlotte living and writing in New England or New York than being happy in shallow southern California or Manhattan. John would want to be on the A-list social scene and shooting models and magazine covers in LA and NYC.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by tsooml » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 am

(deleted)
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#30 Post by Pitman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:50 am

I see things like this: John cheats on Charlotte with Kelly during the photoshoot. He sends that fax to her (after boinking Kelly) out of guilt. When he returns, she knows he has been unfaithful, and they end up divorcing within 6 months. Charlotte looks up Bob and gets a hold of him through his agent. They spend more time together. Bob leaves his wife and starts an intimate relationship with Charlotte. It's awesome, but in the end, Charlotte leaves Bob because she wants to start a family. Bob is now alone, and depressed. Such is life.... :?

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#31 Post by hull_street » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:32 am

thesoundofonemanlaughing wrote:
Pockets wrote: Spoken like a typical male.
Well, I won't be letting you waste my time again!
Pockets, I don't know who you are in real life, but your temperament and mine seem to be on the same page. I'm glad you discovered this film, and welcome hearing more of your opinions on it. Don't let JM discourage you, he's just a little sensitive when his manhood is threatened by an independent-thinking woman. Or so it would seem. :P

Pockets
Suntory Time

#32 Post by Pockets » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks hull_street! I guess that most of the relationships that I encounter are mediocre to poor in quality. And for some odd reason, the sexes are at greater odds with each other than when I was young... when the whole thing should have gotten better and easier to do. Go figure. :? So I try to interject some objective help gently and tactfully when and where I can to those I encounter in real life. But it's hard to get women to think logically, forget the designer handbags and high heels and pick the right kind of guy (the nice kind). And the guys, they will only consider dating a hottie (like the way Scarlett Johanson looks), do anything, give her anything to get and keep her and then they are unhappy with the immature spoiled helpless brat that they end up with. In general, men don't seek thinking intelligent women to date, so then all of the women use what brain cells and energy they have to try to become physically alluring.

At least I've finally found my perfect man... :)

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#33 Post by Tombo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Pockets wrote: In general, men don't seek thinking intelligent women to date, so then all of the women use what brain cells and energy they have to try to become physically alluring.
Blimey.Is it really either/or? How depressing! :wink:

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#34 Post by silvermoon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:54 pm

well said, tombo, well said! :wink:

Pockets
Suntory Time

#35 Post by Pockets » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:11 am

Tombo wrote:
Pockets wrote: In general, men don't seek thinking intelligent women to date, so then all of the women use what brain cells and energy they have to try to become physically alluring.
Blimey.Is it really either/or? How depressing! :wink:
The way I honestly see it, finding a plain looking non-vain intelligent girl is the way to go... a plain girl can always be dressed up. And most of the top fashion models have very plain looking faces without their makeup on.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#36 Post by Tombo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:37 pm

Pockets wrote: The way I honestly see it, finding a plain looking non-vain intelligent girl is the way to go... a plain girl can always be dressed up. And most of the top fashion models have very plain looking faces without their makeup on.
I really don't know if it works that way;I'm holding out for someone who's warm,intelligent,has a sense of humour that's on my wavelength...and who I fancy the pants off. Anyone with less than that isn't gonna be worth making the compromises for that a relationship demands.
Beauty is subjective anyway...what I find attractive,my friends often find not.And vice versa.

Bob_san
Site Admin

split off topic

#37 Post by Bob_san » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 am

I split off the off topic parts to the lounge in another topic. . .

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#38 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:56 am

Going back to the original title of the thread...

I think the ending was great, because it was exactly what was supposed to happen. Bob & Charlotte's time together had to end because their relationship was based upon the circumstances they were in.
So, I just think the ending is very realistic, and very emotional, I LOVE it! Especially their last looks at each other, before going their seperate ways, I really feel for Charlotte in that scene because she does look like she is gonna cry when Bob leaves.
"Everyone wants to be found."