LiT soundtrack in real life

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

LiT soundtrack in real life

#1 Post by LostCalls » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 pm

In the six months or so since seeing LiT for the first time (yes, I'm a late bloomer in that sense), I've also been listening to the soundtrack on a fairly regular basis. As I think most folks here would agree, I think it's a beautiful soundtrack top to bottom, and it serves as a perfectly integrated complement to the visual part of the film. When I listen to the music on my iPod going to work, for instance, I of course am mentally taken back to those specific scenes in the film that feature the given song. This is a great feeling, but I do have a fear.

I worry that I'm somehow drawing the power of the film away from the film itself--that is, away from my actually viewing the film--when I hear the music in this new, non-LiT context. Don't get me wrong: I love the music and enjoy all of it on its own as well as in the context of the film. But the fact that the music alone does always make me think of the film when I hear it means that I feel slightly differently about everything when I see the film again and hear the music in context.

In other words, I feel a strange push and pull going on. I enjoy the feeling of having the film with me (via the soundtrack or just through memories and moods) when I walk around in my life, but I somehow feel strange about possibly seeing the film and thinking of Grand Central Terminal when Death in Vegas plays. In a way, I like the insular feeling that the film has--a certain coziness. I feel that I can carry that sensation around with me, but I don't want to abuse this power, so to speak. Perhaps this is akin to the fear of outgrowing the effect of the film (or of any event) by experiencing it repeatedly over a relatively short span of time?

I've probably written in a circle here, but if anyone has any thoughts on this point, I'd be very interested to hear them.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by LostCalls » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:51 am

I just read back a bit here and realized that the old thread called "Close my eyes..." addresses similar issues to the ones I was wondering about here. Probably tons of stuff has been said and re-said on this site already...so if anyone does have any new insights, that would be cool. I enjoyed reading the older thoughts in that previous thread though. Going back through the logs can be rewarding!

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 am

Well it has been awhile since my last post, life has kept me plenty busy! As for your thoughts... I can understand where you are coming from. It has been awhile since I have popped the great LIT into my dvd player, though after 4 years since it's release I think about it often and having watched it countless times I am still never tired of it. I love the soundtrack, personally one of my favorites. Whenever I am stressed out or feel like resting my eyes I pop it in and am taken back to the movie. Recollecting those memories also acts as a de-stressor for me.

I believe I have read something in another post similar to yours. Many people lose that "feeling" after watching LIT several times. While it is true that the first experience (especially if you had seen it in theaters) will never be the same, I think you can still remember how it felt and that to me brings it back in a way. The soundtrack adds a different feel, if you have seen LIT to the point of insanity (guilty hehe) then you can almost replay the movie in your head while listening to the music. I wouldn't worry to much about losing the effect from the soundtrack just savor that moment the first time you saw Bob and Charlotte on the screen..that is what I do. :)
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."