To kick off with...

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

To kick off with...

#1 Post by sheyit » Sat May 01, 2004 9:45 am

I watched LiT yesterday for the first time in about 3 weeks. I also stopped listening to the soundtrack for those 3 weeks because I wanted to completely flush it from my system. Why was I doing this? I wanted to try and relive the original experience I had with this movie... don't get me wrong, it is still the most stunning movie I've seen, but I do miss that very-first-experience. I also wanted to test myself - to find out if after not seeing it for that time if it would still live up to my memories of it.

The good news is that it lived up to my previous viewing experiences 100%, I even picked up on tiny TINY (and I mean TINY ok? Don't expect story changing elements here!) little things I didn't notice all those other times I'd seen it before. Almost inaudible noises and dialogue (I had the speakers blazing) and extremely subtle split-second shots. Here are 2 I can remember:

1) In the hospital scene when Bob pushes Charlotte in on the wheelchair, he makes a passing comment - "Switching to beer, huh?" (He's talking to the guy with a bandage on his head). Immediately after I noticed that Bob also says: "You might wanna switch to Sake!"

2) When Charlotte accompanies John in the bar as he has drinks with Anna Faris. After Ms. Farris gives her spiel about her anorexic dad, the Dj at the table says, "Some crazy sht, huh?". Immediately after you can hear Ms. Farris asking John something along the lines of "Do you think 'HE' sounds goofy?" or "Do you think 'I' sound goofy?". So either A) She's going out with the DJ and wants to know what John thinks (which would kinda explain why the DJ is at the table at all), or B) Ms. Farris has picked up on Charlotte's body language which spells out that she thinks Ms. Farris is an airhead.

Like I said, these things are obviously not essential to the story, but strangely enough theyre things I've only noticed now, despite having seen the movie countless times before.

Also, I just want to ask... When Bob and Charlotte end up sitting next to eachother at the bar during their night of insomnia, I can't make out what Charlotte says in part of this conversation. It goes like this:

Bob: "There's a good buck in that racket!"
Charlotte: "Yeah, so far its..........."

What is it that she says in this line and what does it mean? No matter how many times I see it I can't understand what she's saying. Any help would be nice!

Are there any little things you guys have noticed? Let me know!

Augi

#2 Post by Augi » Sat May 01, 2004 12:30 pm

Well sheyit, have you tried watching it with subtitles. I noticed all of those things by watching it with subtitles, which really helps the experience. And Charlotte says, "Well, so far it's pro bono."

MatteB

#3 Post by MatteB » Sat May 01, 2004 2:07 pm

Bob: "There's a good buck in that racket!"
Charlotte: "Yeah, so far its..........."
...pro-bono? ie for free.

Re: To kick off with...

#4 Post by Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 6:39 pm

she says "so far it's pro bono", pro bono means "done for the public good without payment". She is providing people with her philosophy for free. :)
IMO the cutest line in the movie

jml2
WooHoo Guy

Re: To kick off with...

#5 Post by jml2 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:she says "so far it's pro bono", pro bono means "done for the public good without payment". She is providing people with her philosophy for free. :)
IMO the cutest line in the movie
oops forgot to login. this was me

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#6 Post by Suntory » Sun May 02, 2004 12:03 am

Yea I love it when you watch a film again and catch little things you missed before.

In the old forum I commented on not listening to the soundtrack for a long time and then being in a dark room and putting it on and how it all came back. I played it twice and have not listened to it since and that was about 6 weeks ago. When I get the yen to relive the experience I'll put it on again.

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#7 Post by sheyit » Mon May 03, 2004 11:27 am

Subtitles? Oh yeah...those things....
*suddenly feels very stupid*

Sorry Augi, I didn't even consider watching the movie with those things on... i don't think I've used subtitles since watching Crouching Tiger!