Story Info about the Pianist from the Group, "Sausalito

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Story Info about the Pianist from the Group, "Sausalito

#1 Post by phillygalinutah » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:36 pm

Ran across this story about the pianist from the group "the Sausalito" in LIT.

http://www.fdubois.com/en/dubois.html

The pianist's name is Francois du Bois. He's a French composer and the marimba player whose own musical exploration leads him to Toyko.
Interesting story...so I thought I share...PLUS :lol: it included photos of Bill, Sofia and him during the LIT filming!

Francois plays the role of the pianist from the group "the Sausalito" in the latest film directed by Sofia Coppola, "Lost in Translation", Francis Ford Coppola as the Executive producer. Bill Murray and Scarlette Johansson as the principal roles. This film has received 2prizes at the Festival in Venice, 3 Golden Globes, and the Oscar for the Best Screenplay (Nomination for 4 categories.)

"Everyone wants to be found"

altern8

#2 Post by altern8 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:46 am

awsome fine! love that track so into you ... i like it better then the original version sung by atlanta rhythm section ... also the second saddest scene in the film ... how we all wish we can say screw it all and run away to start a jazz band with scarlett ...

altern8

#3 Post by altern8 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:50 am

awsome "find" ... sorry for the typo ...

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by jeffyen » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:30 am

Probably the most unsung hero of the whole film who came in at exactly the right moment for some serious plot development!....the wooohooo man! (dubois wasn't the one who sang it.)

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by hull_street » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:09 pm

Top Ten Reasons Why the "Woo-Hoo Guy" is the Real Star of Lost In Translation:

10. When he goes to a hotel, he knows why he is there. He does not try ikebana.
9. With a simple change of inflection, he can make the word "voodoo" the focal point of a love song.
8. He doesn't try to make "Scarborough Fair" acceptable in a bar setting.
7. He does not make fun of the Japanese for mixing up the "R"s and "L"s. Out of respect, the Japanese do not make fun of him for turning "whoo-hoo" into a kind of lonely-wolf howl.
6. He can play the piano. This gives him an edge in life that neither Bob nor Charlotte appear to have.
5. You will never find "A Soul's Search: Finding Your True Calling" in his CD collection.
4. He doesn't whine about only making 2 million dollars a gig.
3. He is not concerned with "evolving the beat".
2. He has better dress-sense than to wear an inverted camo t-shirt.
1. He could probably hit the high-note in "More Than This".
Last edited by hull_street on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#6 Post by jeffyen » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:21 am

LOL! No question about it, WOOHOOMAN is DA MAN!

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#7 Post by Cryogenic » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:32 pm

hull_street wrote:Top Ten Reasons Why the "Woo-Hoo Guy" is the Real Star of Lost In Translation:

10. When he goes to a hotel, he knows why he is there. He does not try ikebana.
9. With a simple change of inflection, he can make the word "voodoo" the focal point of a love song.
8. He doesn't try to make "Scarborough Fair" acceptable in a bar setting.
7. He does not make fun of the Japanese for mixing up the "R"s and "L"s. Out of respect, the Japanese do not make fun of him for turning "whoo-hoo" into a kind of lonely-wolf howl.
6. He can play the piano. This gives him an edge in life that neither Bob nor Charlotte appear to have.
5. You will never find "A Soul's Search: Finding Your True Calling" in his CD collection.
4. He doesn't whine about only making 2 million dollars a gig.
3. He is not concerned with "evolving the beat".
2. He has better dress-sense than to wear an inverted camo t-shirt.
1. He could probably hit the high-note in "More Than This".
LMAO!

Just found this wonderful thread and post.

I love Francois' performance of "So Into You". I wish I could buy or download it somewhere.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#8 Post by preciouswhile » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 am

Actually that isn't Dubois playing So Into You, it's Mark Willms (for some reason he is listed as playing "Carl West" in the credits).

http://weareawake.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689

He used to have a website up about his work at markwillms.com, but it looks like it's now just a link to his myspace page. BUT I just checked that out and found he had a picture of himself with Sofia and Bill. Check the Mark Willms thread for that pic.

Surfaced
Tourist

#9 Post by Surfaced » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWB_NKV3d18

That's a relevant video - first found it a few years ago. Francis took some behind-the-scenes footage.