I cant stop thinking about Lost In Translation

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#61 Post by hull_street » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:50 pm

I think LiT actually taps into a much larger, and much more common void; the feeling you have when someone important to you is gone from your life forever, and you don't get the opportunity to properly say goodbye to them. Sometimes, it's something as mundane as leaving for another job. Sometimes, it's a relationship that didn't quite pan out. Sometimes, it's death.

I think that the resolution offered in LiT is such an important part of this film, because it is the release from the potential lifetime of guilt and "what-ifs" that we tend to inflict on ourselves after-the-fact. In LiT, nothing is left unsaid, or unknown, even if the audience isn't allowed to know specifically what passed between them. The genius of this simple change in the script really made all the difference in the world to its more universal meaning, I think.

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#62 Post by Lochlain » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:45 am

... damn.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#63 Post by Congruous » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:54 am

"I think LiT actually taps into a much larger, and much more common void; the feeling you have when someone important to you is gone from your life forever, and you don't get the opportunity to properly say goodbye to them."

This is a great point, yet I see it the opposite way. To me, it's not sad, there's not a void. There's a new relationship that's been born. It may not go anywhere, they may never see each other again, but each knows the other has strong feelings for them.

atlashrugged
Awake

#64 Post by atlashrugged » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:04 am

To me, it's not sad, there's not a void. There's a new relationship that's been born. It may not go anywhere, they may never see each other again, but each knows the other has strong feelings for them.
That's how I see it, too. I think the void was something both Bob and Charlotte had in themselves already. They're leading completely different lifes but both seem to be in the same state of mind. Or, you know, some people will always be lost.
They poise and grieve as in some old tragedy.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#65 Post by hull_street » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:19 pm

atlashrugged wrote:I think the void was something both Bob and Charlotte had in themselves already. They're leading completely different lifes but both seem to be in the same state of mind. Or, you know, some people will always be lost.
I get your meaning, but I'm approaching it from the "punched in the stomach" angle. That punch comes at the goodbye at the elevator, when they both want desperately to say something to each other, yet can't find the courage within themselves to do it, even though they are both aware that it really is a "final farewell". Their denial of the situation is what causes them to part ways without saying what they'd really like, and is what causes the type of anguish I was referring to earlier. It happens all the time in real life, and it is a very realistic aspect of this film, for me.

The void within them is the deep common bond they share; it's really the basis of their relationship. Without it, they would have had very little in common to work with. It isn't so much a "new" relationship, as it will never go anywhere outside of Tokyo, but it was an extremely important relationship for them both. The difficulty they had in expressing this to each other when it counted most is what hurt, and is what made the final closure in the street such a great note to end on.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#66 Post by Congruous » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:46 am

As we grow older and (hopefully) mature, we develop modes of expression for different situations. Normally, in the sort of situation we're discussing now, we'd tell the other person how much we enjoyed being with him/her and try to work out a way to see more of each other. But this situation has an unusual twist, and the two people don't know quite how to handle it. A married person doesn't (or shouldn't) have the experience of telling a married person of the opposite sex how strongly he/she feels about him/her. These two are at a point where they are dialled into each other's feelings and it is overwhelming to them both.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#67 Post by 52FM » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:17 pm

hull street and congruous -
You both hit on why we get that "punched in the stomach" feeling. "But this situation has an unusual twist, and the two people don't know quite how to handle it. " As an audience we want it to be handled, but we've invested so much emotion up to this point we don't want a slick clean unrealistic finale. It's been two months since I saw LiT, and I continue to be more and more impressed with how Sofia slowly built up the feeling - and then how real she handled it (forgiving the too coincidental meeting on the street.)

Sofia wanted us to want a resolution, but she didn't cheat and go for a Hollywood ending. She showed us the painful situation at the hotel: "parting ways without saying what they'd really like, and is what causes the type of anguish ". Then she relieved it with the whisper and "OK". Something needed to be said; Bob needed to say it (because he was the elder, not because he was the man); Charlotte kept saying how she was going to miss him, but wasn't going to say more than that. The fact it was a whisper avoids "cheating" by Sofia - so we don't hear any corny dialogue or too perfect words. What he says he probably thought of after the hotel - "this is what I should have said". It was perfect for her, and he was connected enough to know what it should be.

As I said, I continue to admire and be amazed how real Sofia made this. I've mentioned on this thread (and also on the IMDB board at maybe too much length) how close to a situation of my own this was. (Somewhere as I was watching the movie I actually started to wonder if somehow Sofia knew of my situation - the tone and connection had many similarities.) That so many people are able to catch that feeling and verbalize it so well is yet again a credit to Sofia.

#68 Post by Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:42 am

When asked about the genesis of the script Sofia said it consisted of "my experience and experience of my friends" while in some other interview, she says she developed the story out of Bill Murray's character alone. Having read what you say 52FM, I don't believe she invented the whole thing as she says she did. I'd rather think she keeps a secret of her own and some married man whose name she will never disclose. What a powerful mystery this film is

#69 Post by Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:21 pm

Yes - I beleive that too. And that her ending was more like the hotel and not the street. She wrote the street ending to give closure to the situation - closure that maybe she didn't have. (Forgot to log in - 52FM)

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#70 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:19 pm

Thank you!
finally I feel like I am not the only one who becomes infatuated with this film. It changed me and the way I see things. i always thinnk of this film when I go to bed. When I wake up I think about it too. It is haunting me for good. But it feels right. I guess films that connect with you this way or make you feel at home, or even shock you then are meant to be called great films. Five star films. Movies that change generations or allow people to change themselves. This movie brings about a one in a lifetime experience for me and you, i bet, and that should be cherished. Don't freak out if you can't stop thinking about it. Go with the flow. It's better than a bad habbit. right?
Take Care and keep loving it! You're not alone. :)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

lechuga89@msn.com
Tourist

#71 Post by lechuga89@msn.com » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Guys, wow, I cant tell you how emotional I am getting by reading these posts of this breathtaking film, Lost In Translation.

Its such an overwhelming Feeling When I read posts that describe exactly the way I feel and have felt since I first saw this movie 4 days ago.
In my viewing of this movie it was really a horrible environment to be in when trying to watch a film that you really wanted to see. Dogs barking downstairs, the other kids who had already seen this movie were creating noises amongst themselves which really hurt my focus. In all I was so fed up after missing some important parts of the movie that I decided to just get up and leave In the middle of the movie.
It was thanks to a good friend who called me back and literally forced my butt back on the couch meanwhile I was insisting, "No Really, I cant watch this movie now after all the disruptions, I Wont get the Full Emotional effect!" She told me to just calm down and watch the rest and I am here 4 days later ever so thankful for her bringing me back.
After the movie ended I was Speechless, Even with all the noise in the background the movie just had something which had put me in a zone where only what was going on the screen was important. When even after all the disruptions and lost scenes I had still after it was all done had been put into an unexplicable state of emotion. I cant put it better than in another members post
"It made me Not wanna shed tears of sadness, but tears due to the sheer level of emotion."
Its really just a totally indescribable emotion. One where you feel not one direct emotion but many all stirred up inside of you, Its when you get this sort of impact that lets you know, Wow, what a great film.
The Ending was perfect, absolutely perfect. Bill Murray is now one of my favorite actors and Johannsen is amazing. I am happy that I have been so impacted by this film because this tells me much of the kind of person I am and to all who feel the same, you are all blessed with true sensitivity and great artistic taste.

I feel better now after posting this, But still the movie wont leave my head.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#72 Post by 52FM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 pm

" I feel better now after posting this, But still the movie wont leave my head."

And if you're like the rest of us (and I'm sure you are) it won't leave your head for a long time!

Welcome!!

K
LIT Super Fan

#73 Post by K » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:48 pm

What a pain it is aswell!

Just kidding, welcome to the forum!

morethanthis
Traveler

#74 Post by morethanthis » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Hey people :D

Glad I found this place, and that there are a few others who feel the same way about this film... I was beginning to worry for my own sanity!! I picked up the DVD recently and seem to have been watching it obsessively....

Actually I've been quite surprised how polarised people's views of LiT are - it seems that you either connect with it or you don't!

But anyway, first post, I have a bit of back-reading to do on these boards. Hope to write more later...!

Cheers,
M

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#75 Post by 52FM » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:25 pm

Welcome!!

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#76 Post by findingcharlotte » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:25 am

welcome to the board
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#77 Post by Blissbomb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 am

I still believe in this movie!
Lost in World

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#78 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:22 am

Welcome Blissbomb we all know that feeling...your among friends :)
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

pohleonguk
Wide Awake

#79 Post by pohleonguk » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:17 pm

I believe!! hehe :D

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#80 Post by A moment of silence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:47 pm

We got a cult going on in here~ We're all believers. :D
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last