the last line in the movie finally uncovered

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Epstein
Wide Awake

the last line in the movie finally uncovered

#1 Post by Epstein » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:08 pm

this may or may not have been posted here..i found this on wikipedia

"For years, no one other than Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Coppola knew what Bob whispered to Charlotte in the final scene, but according to BBC2's The Culture Show in October 2006, where special sound equipment was used to make the conversation audible, Bob most likely said: "I love you. Don't forget to always tell the truth."
When I look at you
Oh, I dont know what's (true)
Once in a while
And you make me laugh

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks for that. :wink:
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:52 pm

This has been discussed to death here yes not sure about this particular item. Other people have enhanced the sound to try and figure out what he said. It's pretty funny if you think about the lengths people are going to try and figure it out. As for whether these people figured it out or not, who knows.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:43 pm

I never cared. To me it was just a curiosity. It would be a great movie with or without it.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by TokyoGirl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:19 am

I agree, I don't mind that I don't know.. it leaves some mystery.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#6 Post by Lochlain » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:07 pm

doesn't really change anything...

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by Beery » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:27 pm

I try to avoid reading other peoples' interpretations of this moment in the movie. I often spend quite a while musing on it and wondering to myself what it means to me - and that's why it's inevitably lost in translation - because it is subjective to every viewer and each viewing potentially gives it a different reality and a different meaning. I think that a major part of the beauty of this film is that it leaves the final dénouement to the imagination of the viewer.

I think that if there ever was a definitive revelation of Bob's final words it would take away from the power of the film. I don't think Sofia Coppola ever intended that the final words spoken by Bob woulds be made public and I think probably the actors probably said words that were not meant to be 'the real words'. The 'real words' are in the viewer's imagination.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"