LiT on HD-DVD

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

cmusic
Traveler

LiT on HD-DVD

#1 Post by cmusic » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:48 pm

I just ordered the HD-DVD version of LiT and I am wondering if any other forum members have it also (the HD-DVD version, not the regular DVD). Does it have anything different than the DVD? Is the picture quality better? I don't have a HD-DVD player yet, I'm hoping my GF will get me one for Christmas, so I won't be able to watch it anytime soon.

BTW I have two copies of the DVD because if I ever loaned one out to a friend, I would always have an extra copy to watch when I got the urge to see it again. :D

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Cool!

I would imagine that whenever I get a HD/Bluray thingie, the first dvd I will order for it will be one of my most loved films such as LIT or The Matrix etc!

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by You Make it Easy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

hmm... LIT was shot with film not HD, how is there a true HD-DVD?
Waiting to be found...

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:11 am

Even if the film wasn't shot on HD cameras, the DVD format is less compressed and should render a sharper, clearer image.

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#5 Post by onesmokin3g » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 pm

they are able to convert alot of older films into high def format because the film itself holds a ton of information. alot of that information is, at the risk of sounding really corny here, "lost in translation" when it was put onto video or regular dvd....almost downgraded, so this goes to further pitmans point about compression. i do not personally have a next gen player yet, but i was able to watch the movie in high def on directv the other day, and it was quite impressive. the same quality should be expected of your new dvd when your able to play it.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#6 Post by Beery » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 am

I just got a Duo-HD player for Christmas so of course I'm thinking of getting LiT in HD-DVD. So those who have bought it, can you tell me if the image is a lot better than it is in standard definition? Often I've found that high definition transfers have to be done with some care in order to really get a good transfer and many HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays aren't a lot better than an up-converted standard definition image.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:55 pm

Now that HD DVD is officially dead and bluray has won the format war, you would expect a few titles that were on HD DVD to be converted to bluray. A bluray version of lit would probably be a while away, but theres always hope that they just might do a commentary and a few more extras this time if they do :roll:

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#8 Post by Cryogenic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:06 pm

You should *all* buy the HD-DVD version. It is now -- essentially -- a collector's item. In twenty years time, you may look back and be glad you did. Or you might be dead. Who knows, right? But I think it's worth pursuing. I've only had this thought just now. Think I may buy a copy in a few weeks . . .

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by samwright8380 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:57 pm

you may be right. not sure about any increase in value, but if there isn't a blu ray release this could possibly be the only chance you get to see the movie in HD. and they aren't making any more HD DVD discs, so once they're gone, they're gone. I think the items that have the most potential to go up in value are the book that was released and the japanese soundtrack, along with the vinyl edition of just like honey.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by adrien950 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:45 am

So it's been a little over a year from the last post and STILL no word on a Blu-Ray edition of LIT...what could possibly be the hold up?

Pitman
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Pitman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:10 pm

I know eh? You would think a movie of this caliber demands the best quality DVD. It should have been released in Blu-Ray long ago! That's my opinion. After all, it was nominated for 4 Academy awards including best picture, best actor, best director and it won best original screenplay!

Come on Blu-Ray people release it already!!!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17 pm

well it's not just LIT, theres a whole load of great titles waiting for a blu ray release. however, waiting a while may be best as the hd dvd transfer was pretty patchy and imho i'd rather wait out for a new master for a blu ray of LIT.