Japanese Culture

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

bloomer
Lost In Jet Lag

Japanese Culture

#1 Post by bloomer » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:12 am

I'm new to we are awake. I was captivated by LIT from the moment I saw it. I have been following everyones posts and have greatly enjoyed them. I think it would be great to visit Japan and experiance many of the scenes from LIT.

Inaudible_Whisper
Tourist

#2 Post by Inaudible_Whisper » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 am

Agreed. This film hasnt inspired to me to want to go to Japan though, ive always wanted too. But it would be cool to go to certain places from the movie.. it would probably be very weird too.

Im also new here, though ive posted once in the Charlotte post. Hello Everone.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#3 Post by KKDallas » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:28 am

I am longing to visit Tokyo since seeing LIT. I only want to go if I can stay at the Park Hyatt. You should check out this site, which is also listed at weareawake under LIT sites, "Articles":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 55C011.TMP

It has the names and locations of some of the restaurants and scenes featured in LIT. I read it and also bought some travel books to plan out my future trip. I hope to go soon!!

Kathy

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#4 Post by Blissbomb » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:19 pm

Its true, I had never thought much about Japan before this movie, but now I hope to visit there one day!

Is it true about there being no violence in Japan. Cause if the film had of been made in Sydney there would have been 5 bar brawls, they would have been chased by roaming gangs and bob would have had his car stolen a number of times.

Japan looks pretty good to me!

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#5 Post by KKDallas » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:58 pm

Blissbomb wrote:Is it true about there being no violence in Japan.
The travel books I've read about Tokyo all mention the fact that Tokyo is relatively crime-free for such a large, metropolitan city. It is also a "cash society" meaning that most restaurants, bars, hotels, accept only cash. Therefore, travelers must have plenty of cash on hand while visiting. However, because crime is so low, the books seem to attempt to assure travelers that it is safe walking around with cash in lieu of credit cards.

I want to vist soon but I don't think I'll be able to go for a few more years. I'd like to wait until my kids are older and can go on the trip with us.

I'm wondering if Tokyo sushi restaurants have California Rolls on the menu? :)

#6 Post by Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:25 pm

KKDallas wrote: I'm wondering if Tokyo sushi restaurants have California Rolls on the menu? :)
:D Yea I wonder if they have Tokyo or Kyoto rolls instead!

Oy now I'm getting a yen for some sushi!

And hello to the new folks!

bloomer
Lost In Jet Lag

Too Many People

#7 Post by bloomer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:24 am

The only problem I can see with going to Japan and trying to see scenes from LIT is that you build something up so much...sometimes its hard to reach expectations wise. Also, I could almost guarantee you that the New York bar at the Park Hyatt is just brimming with people, unlike some of the scenes where Bob is almost the only person at the bar.

Have you guys seen how much it is to stay at the Hyatt?...insane.

Maybe I'll just buy a bottle of Saki, have some sushi rolls, get some cool wooden cups and watch LIT again.

Tokyotraveller
Traveler

#8 Post by Tokyotraveller » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:20 am

Tokyo and Japan are absolutely amazing. I spent the summer of 1990 living in the Yaesu Fujiya Hotel near Tokyo station. (actually it is the last building on the right at the very end of the film just before the credits begin to roll) LiT resonates very strongly for me since I have very literally lived the movie to an extent. Though I spoke and understood Japanese fairly well the culture shock will get even the best of us. Jet lag is a killer and left me wide awake in the middle of the night for at least 2 weeks then I was able to settle into a Tokyo rhythm. Tokyo is every bit as bright and exciting as it is in the film. The cross-walks between the Hachiko statue and Shibuya 109 building are exactly as depicted, crowded, loud and colourful. The place can be quite overwhelming as there is a constant assault on the senses of new sights, sounds and smells. The whole package can leave one quite reeling. It is a very natural reaction to retreat to ones room for some solitude. If you have a chance and can summon the cash required I would highly reccommend it.

Cheers!

Mark
I am awake.....I think

#9 Post by Guest » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:45 pm

since i have watched LIT countless times and have thought about every little detail in the movie, i have one last question for those of you who've been to tokyo ----

y'know those little red lights we see throughout in the nightime cityscape scenes (like in the first shot of the menu) ......what are those red lights on the buildings for? is it just for aesthestics?? it does look pretty.

:roll: :shock: :lol: :wink:

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#10 Post by Suntory » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:05 am

I believe the red lights are there for the benefit of helicopters and airplanes to see the top of the tall buildings at night.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

Re: Too Many People

#11 Post by findingcharlotte » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:00 pm

The Hyatt is very very $$$ catering to business folk and the very very rich..that and it cost $20 just to sit in the New York bar alone..nevermind the drinks as well.

I have a cousin who lives in Kyoto and is frustrated by people who only see Tokyo when Japan is mentioned...he says theres sooooo much more to the country...I might go one day if he can show me around and I can ever afford it....

Its funny ..but the movie is dead on in so many aspects...when I used to travel far away...Id stay in the cocoon that was my hotel room...as everything seemed strange and unfamiliar..Id search the TV for shows I watch back home...etc...wish I knew then what I know now...Probably would have at least seen many hotel bars in my travels....
bloomer wrote:The only problem I can see with going to Japan and trying to see scenes from LIT is that you build something up so much...sometimes its hard to reach expectations wise. Also, I could almost guarantee you that the New York bar at the Park Hyatt is just brimming with people, unlike some of the scenes where Bob is almost the only person at the bar.

Have you guys seen how much it is to stay at the Hyatt?...insane.

Maybe I'll just buy a bottle of Saki, have some sushi rolls, get some cool wooden cups and watch LIT again.
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

jml98
Asleep

#12 Post by jml98 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:30 am

KKDallas wrote:
I'm wondering if Tokyo sushi restaurants have California Rolls on the menu? :)
they dont.

:D