Continuity

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Alen S
Traveler

#41 Post by Alen S » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:30 am

Watching behind the scenes you can see that it wasn't the most "continuity-managed" movie.
It doesn't really matter with this movie anyway, the details like that don't matter. It's so far removed from Hollywood, it works out perfectly on it's own accord, in it's own fashion.
Plus, who wants to pay people to monitor things like set continuity? Psh.
Alen
"... It can be for you..."

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#42 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:07 pm

WOW. So many things...

They do not ever tell each other their names, it is weird. But I believe they do not do it because they do not need to. Also, sometimes when you meet someone really interesting and you guys talk and do not know if you'll meet again or become friends you don't necessarily ask them for their names, just enjoy the moment and forget. I also thought that invitation after the swimming was kind of cool but never said how they actually knew their numbers. It actually always bothers me, not in a bad way though, I just can't help but notice it.
I mentioned the "ikebana" reference in another post, yes is true.
You are all exhausting yourselves, I mean it's always interesting to prolong the conversation or topic, but don't think too much about unmentioned things. I bet this is all a plan of Coppola's and she did want us to think about things. and most of those little details are not even important, but of course, the big fanatics of LIT have to be curious because how could we not be? The movie it's so interesting.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Pitman
Suntory Time

#43 Post by Pitman » Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:One weird theory that I have is that the beginning of the movie, when Bob arrives and Girls is playing in the background, he is simply returning a second time, for some unknown reason, and the Suntory ad he sees on the billboard is actually one of the photos taken during the second half of the movie, which is just one big flashback. So basically everything after the scene in the cab is just his memories from when he was last in Tokyo. Weird, huh? I don't actually believe the film was made that way, but it does make a strange sort of sense, and it's pretty neat to watch it again and look at it that way...
Another theory is that the billboard with his picture on it was not there and that he was imagining it. He wipes his eyes after that shot as if he's still waking up, so he was half asleep.
Last edited by Pitman on Wed May 24, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#44 Post by samwright8380 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:07 pm

To be honest, I wouldn´t read too much into it. I believe its a case of them having gone to probably a lot of trouble getting a billboard of that size into one of the busiest places in Tokyo and figuring they might as well use the shot somewhere. To put it all into perspective (I think I mentioned this in a previous post along with kkdallas) that whole intro sequence of bob approaching the hyatt is shot with the car travelling in the wrong direction, away from the hotel. So I don´t think they thought about it that much in the first place. After all, the film is one thats greater than the sum of its parts.