Continuity

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

sc1957
Awake

Continuity

#1 Post by sc1957 » Sun May 02, 2004 3:24 pm

IMDB has a nice list of "continuity problems" under their "Goofs" link,
though I don't agree with all of them. Here are my favorites:
  • When Bob puts Charlotte to bed, her bare midriff shows.
    After the view changes to a close up and then back to the wider shot,
    her midriff is covered
  • The back cover of Charlotte's A Soul's Search CD changes as she flips it
    from front to back and front again.
  • During the fire alarm, Bob is wearing a kimono and not carrying anything,
    but in the bar and in the elevator later he's wearing a coat.
  • When Bob calls his wife at 4:00 AM after the karoke, she's getting
    breakfast for the kids. If they live somewhere in the U.S., the timespan is wrong.
    (This bugs me the most -- I used to stay at work late to call business
    partners in Australia. Early evening for me was mid-morning for them.

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#2 Post by sheyit » Mon May 03, 2004 12:09 pm

There's one that bugs me every time I watch it...though I could be wrong, so any help would be appreciated.

Charlotte and John's room.
In particular I try to think of the position of the door (entrance to the room from the hallway) and the direction the door closes - or the position of the hinge.

In the scene where Bob gets Charlotte to cut the tag from his shirt before they leave for their night out, the door hinges are on the left side (This is consistent in a number of scenes - when John leaves for a couple of days etc). After Bob carries Charlotte to her room, tucks her in and leaves, the door's hinges and door handle swap around (so it closes the other way).

Maybe there are 2 entrances to the room? I know this is possible, as when I travelled overseas with my family, we once stayed in 2 separate (though side-by-side) rooms. Me and my brother in one, my parents in the other. There was a door in between the two rooms that we constantly left open so we could walk between the two.

Another justification of the 2-doors room is this: (Again, taking the same 2 scenes into account).
In the first 'cut-the-tag' scene, when they leave for the elevator, they head off to the right direction. When Bob carries Charlotte back to her room, he clearly walks from the left direction.

Its strange... I almost feel 'bad' for noticing such things. I really shouldn't watch it so much!

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by jeffyen » Mon May 03, 2004 8:55 pm

Intriguing...I guess the sure way to find out is to join the Park Hyatt LiT Tour. LOL

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#4 Post by sheyit » Mon May 03, 2004 11:20 pm

Haha!
*sigh* I'd love to!
Want to pay for my ticket? I hear they're bargains!

pearly
Traveler

#5 Post by pearly » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:25 am

After Charlotte's foot was banged up, there was a shot of her sitting by the windowsill at the hotel room looking out the window, and you can clearly see that her toe was not "black" or "dead" or even slightly injured... (this is before the hospital scene)

Ranger
Tourist

How does he know

#6 Post by Ranger » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:25 am

My question is about the pool scene, when Charlotte and Bob run into one another and she tells Bob that she is meeting some friends to go out and asks if he would like to come. How does he know her room number?

I am not being critical. This is my favorite movie of all time. I love the soundtrack. No film has ever effected me as much. Well, maybe Grease, but that was Olivia Newton John and I was 13! :D

guest again

Re: How does he know

#7 Post by guest again » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:10 am

[quote="Ranger"]My question is about the pool scene, when Charlotte and Bob run into one another and she tells Bob that she is meeting some friends to go out and asks if he would like to come. How does he know her room number?

i guess you have to assume it's done off screen. it's also been noted that Bob and Charlotte never introduced each other by name in any scene.....like "hi i'm Bob" "i'm Charlotte". but somehow they eventually figured out each other's names :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:

but some of the things brought up in this thread is interesting! i've watched the movie a gazillion times and i didn't notice the thing about the doors :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock:

guest again

about the doors

#8 Post by guest again » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:14 am

when Bob leaves Charlotte's room (albeit reluctantly) ----he lingers at the doorway like forever. but then, he looks like he switches something off and a green light turns on ----what is that?? locking the doors?? i wasn't sure what he was doing there :roll: :roll: :( :(

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#9 Post by sooner77 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:33 pm

What's the explanation for there already being a billboard with Bob's picture on it when he is supposedly just arriving in Tokyo for the ad shoots?

Silver

Closing the door

#10 Post by Silver » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:21 pm

When Bob leaves the room after carrying Charlotte back after the night on the town, he pulls the door shut. He basically watches the indicator light and checks the handle to make certain that the door is closed and that Charlotte is safe.

guest again

#11 Post by guest again » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:10 am

sooner77 wrote:What's the explanation for there already being a billboard with Bob's picture on it when he is supposedly just arriving in Tokyo for the ad shoots?

i think we are to assume he's done an ad previous to the one he's shooting in the movie. as you'll remember, when charlotte and bob are running around the city (after they flee the strip club) they see a huge advertisement vehicle with that same old ad (and they both wave "hi" to it :P ) obviously they would NOT have available in 2 days (or whatever the time frame is since his photo shoot) the ad that he just shot. that's my take anyway :wink: :wink:

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

goofs..etc

#12 Post by findingcharlotte » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 pm

Think a lot things just have to be assumed...and in the end ...?? does it really matter ??
I love it just the way it is....cant be bothered with examining details that dont quite flow or fit....Im sure SC is aware..but given the fast pace of filming which would have limited retakes....she edited what she had..and what an incredible end result.....
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:58 pm

"[quote:26411d9af4="sooner77"]What's the explanation for there already being a billboard with Bob's picture on it when he is supposedly just arriving in Tokyo for the ad shoots?[/quote:26411d9af4]

Someone cleverly suggested that, in the beginning of the movie, he's arriving for another meeting with Charlotte, and the rest of it all in a flashback to their first meeting.

Ingenious, but I don't buy it."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostinflorida
Traveler

#14 Post by lostinflorida » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:36 pm

I'm sure Bob wouldn't have really had to introduce himself to Charlotte. He was a big movie star. But I understand what you're saying about there being no formal introduction.

#15 Post by guest » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:39 am

one thing i noticed a while ago was that the scene where charlotte is smoking in her room and john is getting ready, is the same scene where john shows charlotte the crystal and she asks if he wants to have some, and he goes

just an editing thing, but it works in the movie

jml98
Asleep

#16 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:29 pm

i read in a review of the movie ( can't remember the exact one...somewhere on rottentomatoes.com i think) that Sofia assumes that people that watch the movie are intelligent enough to assume some things in the movie without actually seeing them. A good example is Charlotte's pink wig in the karaoke scene. Obviously she got the wig from somewhere but it's really not that important where she got it or how or why she's wearing it.... Maybe other instances (like the billboard in the beginning when Bob is in the cab) are left for the viewer to "assume" the story behind it (maybe Bob did do that ad previously). But then again, does it really matter? Other continuity issues - like when Charlotte is on the phone with Lauren and mentions ikebana and John's hair products-- are indeed editing issues. in the original screenplay there is supposed to be a scene where Charlotte notices John "smells weird" b/c he has some hair products on (also the ikebana scene is supposed to be before that phone call to Lauren). I guess Sofia just edited it out...anyway, just my two cents...

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#17 Post by CHris! » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:33 pm

i did wonder why she talks about ikebana on the phone, even though you dont see the actual ikenbana scene until later in the film...
theres nothing more than this

#18 Post by Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 am

How sexy is that pink wig though? :P

jml98
Asleep

#19 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:05 pm

yeah, there are a few scene which didn't make the final cut, some of which you can see if you have the DVD...a few others she didn't even film (or at least weren't on the deleted scenes portion of the DVD), according to her original screenplay...hehe i think i have a little too much free time....oh boy

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#20 Post by Suntory » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:29 am

CHris! wrote:i did wonder why she talks about ikebana on the phone, even though you dont see the actual ikenbana scene until later in the film...
Yea. But I wonder how many average Joe/Jane type people who went to
see the film didn't know that ikebana was flower arranging and therefore
didnt even notice it!!! :) Actually when I first saw the film I dont think I even knew what it was! I found out later. :?