New Idea To Enhance Discussion: CHAPTER BY CHAPTER

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

New Idea To Enhance Discussion: CHAPTER BY CHAPTER

#1 Post by Cryogenic » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Folks!

I'd like to introduce you to a discussion concept that has been tried and tested on another forum, which I feel could be a very rewarding experience here . . .

****** UPDATE ******

Bob_san has now approved this idea and created a new forum. Please don't hesitate to air your views about this project in here, however.

It is a discussion of a film in multiple parts, according to the structure of the DVD. That is, for every DVD chapter, a thread is created with a basic summary of the chapter, followed by a quick analysis, followed by responses from the community. Any and all aspects of LIT would be up for grabs -- filmmaking methodology and language, narrative, lighting, editing, acting, music, sound design, locations, themes, homages, autobiographical links, you name it.

It is basically the same as discussing individual scenes and moments that are a regular occurrence on film boards, including this one. So everyone's already cut their teeth on exactly this thing. The difference is that discussion is formalised on a Chapter-By-Chapter basis and the entire film is (eventually) covered, theoretically leaving no stone unturned. And it's very easy to accomplish . . .

Each chapter could be posted with a gap of 5-7 days (for example), allowing everyone the chance to tuck in to the latest discussion and bounce ideas off one another before moving on to the next one. Of course, the earlier threads would remain open after being superceded by the next chapter for further discussion. The entire thing could be done in a single thread, but I feel that would be a bit unwieldly, and people wanting to add further comments on earlier chapters would invariably create havoc, so One Chapter = One Thread is a very simple and elegant format.

To see this idea in action, click the link: http://boards.theforce.net/prequel_tril ... 231861/p1/

Given the brevity of "Lost In Translation" (24 chapters versus "Revenge of the Sith's" 50), the entire discussion of LIT would be more manageable. And I can assure you that discussing "Revenge of the Sith" in detail was a very enjoyable pursuit, despite -- and in some senses, because of -- the fact it took the better part of a year to do it. When you "zoom" into a film and break it down more exactly, you can begin to appreciate the artistry of filmmaking and its effects upon you on another level. The skewing of time can also build anticipation for "key" chapters and get people looking forward to their favourite passages.

I would be more than happy to assume the responsibility of starting each new thread at the appropriate time. If I posted a fresh thread (i.e. fresh chapter discussion) every week, it would take us six months to discuss the nuances of the entire film -- and I think you would discover that span of time to be time well spent.

I've posted this to gauge the general level of interest and to see if this is worth doing. What do you guys think? "Are you in or are you out?" :wink:
Last edited by Cryogenic on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:59 pm

i like the idea, it could work well......start with a brief synopsis, which we then expand through discussion, with the main chapter review being expanded in the same fashion as a wikipedia article? perhaps we could build a lost in translation wiki as we go?

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by TokyoGirl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm

I like this idea, I'm always up for more LiT talk... also the Wiki sounds good too :)
She's got the moves to rule the world...

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#4 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:20 am

Sounds fun to me.
perhaps we could build a lost in translation wiki as we go?
weareawiki.com?

:oops:

Pitman
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pitman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Yeah, I like this idea! :D

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#6 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Four takers? Guys, thank you ever so much for the feedback! But I'm getting worried here. The site seems to be on its last legs. I don't know if I can justify this project with four respondents. I'll see how this thread goes for the next week or so. I might post the first chapter on 1st Feb (Sunday) for a trial run.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

nice graphic! i understand what you're saying, although i think the site does have a lot of repeat visitors who don't post for one reason or another. maybe chapter by chapter will get things rolling again.

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#8 Post by Cryogenic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

samwright8380 wrote:nice graphic! i understand what you're saying, although i think the site does have a lot of repeat visitors who don't post for one reason or another. maybe chapter by chapter will get things rolling again.
It's an alright graphic, but I wish there was more space above and below the frame. It feels a little claustrophobic the way I added the title. Hopefully, it has some visual humour with the guy pointing up, though. I chose that scene because it expresses the rareness and preciousness of chance encounters in a very funny, very gentle way. Hopefully, in its own tiny way, that graphic will build some enthusiasm for this idea.

It's also my thinking, like you, that a "Chapter By Chapter" discussion will raise the discussion quotient. But I am also using this thread, as I said, to gauge interest. It looks a little low, at the while. You seem interested enough to want to genuinely take part. I appreciate that. But the more, the merrier. More members = more ideas = more inspiration = more fun. That's the key to this.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bob_san » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:35 pm

I like the idea of the chapter by chapter discussion so if you want to get it going please do so and let me know if you need me to do anything like create a new topic area or something.

As for the wiki, that sounds cool too, if someone knows how and wants to start it that would be great. I might be able to host it but would need more information.

If people want to specifically discuss the site being on its last legs or not that could be a seperate discussion in the forum admin area.
I have created a topic for it here:
viewtopic.php?t=912

One could say its been on its last legs for the last year or so! The issue of spammers and having to close registration is another. I put information for how people can register in spite of that. I could upgrade the site to version 3 of the forum software which works a lot better at deflecting spammers. I created other topic areas in which people can pretty much discuss anything they want which allows discussion to go beyond the complete dissection of the film which has been done. So there are a lot of options for discussion of all types, I am open to other suggestions for interaction via the site or some peripheral things like Facebook or something. Hmmmm Facebook. . . . .

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#10 Post by Cryogenic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Bob, I'm PM-ing you now . . .

(Sounds painful, doesn't it?) :P

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 pm

the new section is a great idea....do you guys think it would be an idea to include small pictures from the film and from the locations within each chapter for illustration?

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#12 Post by Cryogenic » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 pm

samwright8380 wrote:the new section is a great idea....do you guys think it would be an idea to include small pictures from the film and from the locations within each chapter for illustration?
I was thinking that. The stuffy, serious side of me kinda scoffs at the idea and says it would detract from the "purity" of a discussion and maybe even distract people to some extent. But the other part of me says it would flesh the descriptions out nicely and make the whole thing a little more attractive and visual. So, er ... yeah, why not? I can work on three or four captures for each chapter. But, of course, people should always be free to contribute their own bits 'n' bobs (excuse the pun) along the way, anyway.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:34 am

sounds good. A 'wikipedia' feel would work well I feel, with small photos interspersed amongst text, so people can visually identify with the topic and what is being discussed within the text.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#14 Post by Tombo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 am

I,m in..

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#15 Post by Cryogenic » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

samwright8380 wrote:sounds good. A 'wikipedia' feel would work well I feel, with small photos interspersed amongst text, so people can visually identify with the topic and what is being discussed within the text.
It doesn't have to be all that visually driven, though. Wikipedia isn't. I think people are familiar enough with the film if they're partaking in a chapter-by-chapter discussion. I'm not sure we really need that many pointers. Take a look at the example I provided at the top of the thread. We did our discussions on that other board almost entirely without images. Again, though, if other people wish to contribute images, diagrams (etc) in their responses, that is entirely up to them.

What you're talking about *may* work better in a retrospective context. That is, once the entire discussion has been done and is gathering dust, say, a year from now, it could all be recompiled into fresh HTML web pages or a PDF file and various odds and ends (like additional images) added wherever desired. One thing to remember is that discussions can twist and turn, not just from post to post, but within the same post. One moment, for example, someone might be discussing the start of a scene, and the next, they might be talking about the end of it, then they might hop back to discussing the start again, and so on. In those contexts, especially if one is rapidly flitting back and forth between different aspects and ideas sentence to sentence, phrase to phrase, pictures might be a nuissance or even an impossibility.

By and large, I think this image business should be left up to the discretion of the individual. I welcome visual contributions as much as textual ones. Audio-based stuff, too. Whatever! This is the Internet! If a discussion can be made more dynamic, cool. I just don't think we should be opting for any particular format and constraining ourselves to that, beyond what is more or less laid out in that example -- and I only choose to do THAT much simply because it's been proven to work. But again, I think I will supply three or four screen captures for the opening post of each chapter. That can be a kind of "rule" for every thread I start. Beyond that, I think a general maxim is: if it works, do it; if it doesn't work, skip it.

You've made a repeating reference to wikipedia in here. So I think we should definitely try and set up our own wiki. WeAreAwakeWiki? LITWik?JustLikeHoney? If memory serves, you can use free software to make one, can't you? Could be very cool.