An interesting take on LIT

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

SaitamaSteve
Awake

An interesting take on LIT

#1 Post by SaitamaSteve » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm sorry if this title is misleading, it's really just my personal experience with the film, and I thought I'd share it here. You guys seem just as passionate about it as I am, and I really appreciate a community like this, even if it's a little quiet here right now. Hopefully this contributes to discussion.

I've always been very interested in Japan, all things including language, music, movies, television dramas, booze, you name it. I first went over to Japan as part of a Sister Cities exchange and loved it, but I didn't fully appreciate it until after visiting later. It was before going there that I first watched LiT, and although I liked it, it didn't have nearly as big an impact on me then as it does now.

Ever since my first trip to Japan, I've committed myself to studying the language and have gotten to be what I consider fluent. I have tons of Japanese friends, and spent the past two semesters in Japan. Forgive me if this sounds like I'm bragging, I'm totally not, and only mean this as background information.

And a funny thing happened while I was over there. I met my current girlfriend, a fellow sarcastic American similar to Charlotte in some regards. I still can't quite grasp it all--to have an experience like that, and go to places like the New York bar several times is truly awesome.

Anyway, all of that said, I think I'm a person who thrives on feelings of nostalgia. I have to capture it and relive it constantly. So one of my favorite things to do, is to turn out the lights late at night, make myself a drink or two, and just watch the movie or my favorite scenes. It's amazing how strong a feeling I can get watching it. It strikes me with a heavy, but somehow pleasant feeling of isolation and loneliness that I just can't believe. It takes me back to my experiences in Japan and makes me want even more. I love it to death.

I originally planned to articulate myself better than this, but it ended up being just a rant hahaha. Anyway, I hope it got the point across and I welcome myself to the forum. :D

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#2 Post by Cryogenic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:56 am

Get posting in the new "Chapter By Chapter" forum!

Plenty of discussion potential in there.

I've created it for that reason.

But not many people are biting.

Interesting comment ... when you said ... you're a person that "thrives on feelings of nostalgia".

I'm a bit like that, myself. I haven't had a "Charlotte" encoutner, per se, though. Having said that, I was talking to a lovely lady from the Czech Republic at a music show last night. It's nice to meet new people.

Welcome to to the board, Steve!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 am

SaitamaSteve that's a really cool post and thanks for sharing that with us! I think I remember when you joined and I found your blog about your experiences living in Japan.

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#4 Post by SaitamaSteve » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I'll definite hit up the chapter discussion, I just love talking about the movie, especially with people who appreciate LiT the way it should be.

Haha, yeah! I waited a while to post after I joined because I got so busy in Japan, but am definitely here to stay.