Charlotte's Touche?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

ybrik2k
Traveler

Charlotte's Touche?

#1 Post by ybrik2k » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:32 pm

Much has been made of the character Charlotte's "...we'll start a jazz band" quip when Bob finally admits his true feelings for her by saying he "didn't want to leave."

I have a slightly different take on it, which I didn't see this until I had watched the film a few times but, the more I do, the more it seems like Carlotte's jazz band remark is a simple "touché" on her part, a "reply-in-kind" to Bob's similar quip when they were standing outside during the fire drill:

Charlotte: That was the WORST lunch.

Bob: SO bad...(pause) What kind of restaurant makes you cook your own food?

Charlotte smiles...because she knows Bob understands EXACTLY what she meant. In pretending to misunderstand her, he has told her in an even deeper way how truly he does understand ...and agree.

Moments later, in the bar, Bob makes his "don't want to leave" comment and in keeping with Bob's "worst lunch" quip, Charlotte replies, "so don't...stay here with me...(pause) we'll start a jazz band."

To me, the form of these two exchanges seem the same: a heartelt statement, a totally sincere reply...the pause...then a purposely absurd quip meant to both diffuse the seriousness of the moment and by contrast, emphasize how deeply they do understand what is transpiring.
Last edited by ybrik2k on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#2 Post by Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:19 pm

Very good point. Watched the movie again last night, and what you're saying makes perfect sense.

ybrik2k
Traveler

#3 Post by ybrik2k » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:01 pm

Very good point. Watched the movie again last night, and what you're saying makes perfect sense.
Thanks... I'm not sure why I didn't notice it at first --maybe my focus was so much on the change of scene (to the bar) and the intensity of emotion between the characters as they finally acknowledge what is happening, that I forgot about the previous (fire drill) scene.

..or maybe I'm just wrong.

gtw65@yahoo.com

Yes

#4 Post by gtw65@yahoo.com » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:15 pm

You nailed it! You NAILED it!!

Nijal
Traveler

lost in possibilites..?

#5 Post by Nijal » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:49 am

First of all I wish to say hi, first message here :D

I think that this is one of the main issues of this movie: what is said and what is hinted. Personally I was struck by this movie, didn't know what it was about, the review said something like "Bob and Charlotte meet in Tokio and they discover the value of friendship".. :?

..but I can't stop watchin it.. can't stop thinking about it ( one of the reasons why I'm here is to find an cure to that lol )

In another thread http://www.weareawake.org/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15 I found this :
hull_street wrote:
I've been thinking about what in our personality allows us to enjoy a movie like this, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
That's funny, I've wondered the same thing from time to time.

What is it that we all have in common here ?
Are we alienated, hopeless romantics ?
Disillusioned about our lives ?
Looking to make that one real connection that helps to make some sense out of it all ?
I can answer "yes" to all of the above.
Anybody want to offer their opinion ?
If I may, I'd like to add the fact that maybe (certainly in my case) we had an experience like the one Bob (being male I'm putting myself in his shoes) has: meeting someone that shares complicity, in an alien environment, getting to know this person.. and being held back by other commitments ( marriage, childrens, work..). How many times we'd liked to start things over again? How many times we'd liked to have enough courage to hold "her" hand and make "that" decision?

What I see and what I like in this movie: Possibilities. Chances.

..I have written to much, sorry :oops:

switchtosake
Lost In Tokyo

Great Insight

#6 Post by switchtosake » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:04 pm

As I read all the backposts I am struck by some of the things you have said.
What is it that we all have in common here ?
Are we alienated, hopeless romantics ?
Disillusioned about our lives ?
Looking to make that one real connection that helps to make some sense out of it all ?
I can answer "yes" to all of the above.
Anybody want to offer their opinion ?
Exactly.
How many times we'd liked to start things over again? How many times we'd liked to have enough courage to hold "her" hand and make "that" decision?

What I see and what I like in this movie: Possibilities. Chances.
Absolutely. If you read my previous post about my experience, I certainly dont advocate cheating on your wife or neglecting family or work. That's what makes the experience so memorable is that the POSSIBILITY is there but we both had the courage not to act on it.

Maybe you guys wont see it that way, but it felt like a scene right out of the movie. And it felt right.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by lost in translation » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:36 pm

Interesting point. I hadn't looked at the conversation they had during the fire drill with that depth. They are putting it behind them and appologizing in some form.

I believe the "...jazz band" comment is Charlotte expressing/setting her tone for their relationship. She is obviously in pain knowing that he is leaving, but hides her true feelings by making a funny remark. One of the most important things they in common is their humor; an ability to laugh and make light of a happening.

Charlotte said earlier in the movie that (this is butchered) "Let's never do this again, it won't be as much fun." To me, Charlotte sees a future to their relationship. This took place during their serious conversation in bed where Bob appears as a father to Charlotte.

So, Charlotte's witty response about a jazz band is covering her feelings of despair and heartache. She is simply easing the moment with a smile.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#8 Post by Suntory » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:56 pm

lost in translation wrote:Charlotte said earlier in the movie that (this is butchered) "Let's never do this again, it won't be as much fun." To me, Charlotte sees a future to their relationship. This took place during their serious conversation in bed where Bob appears as a father to Charlotte.
I think she said something like lets never come here again because . . .

To me that meant neither of them should go back to Tokyo in
order to preserve the memory of what they shared together.
Not that she sees a future. Just that if they come back alone
or with other people it would dilute the memory of the times
they had.

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#9 Post by Blissbomb » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:57 am

I think Charlotte's character is very smart. She knows the boundaries and how far she can push it without going over the line. Its better to have loved and lost than never having loved at all, even in the platonic form. See this way you still get the adrenelin rush of meeting/connecting with someone new that is on the same level as you without the downside of ruining everything else in your life. Its a relationship blueprint that we can learn from.
Lost in World

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#10 Post by A moment of silence » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:37 pm

I never thought about it. It's true. They never specifically said what was going on, you know? that they liked each other, that she was jelous during lunch or that he wanted to stay because he liked her...it was all shown as indirect responses that were somehow understood directly by the other person. It's how well they understood each other, it's amazing. you did nail it![/u]
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by jm » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:42 pm

I don't agree that Charlotte is as wise about the situation as you say -- how could she be at her age and at her point in her marriage? I think Bob is at this point, and Charlotte follows his lead because she knows she can trust him.
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by adrien950 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:06 pm

Charlotte wasn't exactly smart, she just followed Bob's lead on how their relationship was going to be. I'm sure if Bob had tried something sexual she would have gone with it. Even in the end, when we see them at the bar again, we know how they feel..if he were to have kissed her then,she wouldn't have backed away.Who knows what could have happened then.
It was Bob who finally acknowledged his feelings first,when he saw her on the street, and she followed.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:47 pm

"[quote:ffb6bc7533="adrien950"]I'm sure if Bob had tried something sexual she would have gone with it.[/quote:ffb6bc7533]
You'll love the movie even more, if you lose your sureness of [u:ffb6bc7533]that[/u:ffb6bc7533] idea!"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#14 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Actually I also noticed that the "jazz band" comment or joke is made due to the Soulsolito woman singing jazz in Bob's room(The song "midnight at the Oasis"). Charlotte did not seem to be jealous anymore, instead decided to make fun of it.
This is very smart on her part, also shows he influenced her a bit with his amazing sense of humor.

C' ya. :wink:
Last edited by A moment of silence on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#15 Post by adrien950 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:12 am

johnmonkey wrote
You'll love the movie even more, if you lose your sureness of that idea!
I don't think it's possible to love this movie even more!
Are you telling me there was a zero percent chance of their relationship ever turning sexual, whether that would be right or wrong? Believe me..I am so glad it didn't because then I don't think this would be the movie that I love so much! :)

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by jm » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:51 am

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#17 Post by adrien950 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 am

Oh..most definitely. I agree with you. That's what makes this movie so wonderful. :)

Congruous
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Congruous » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am

I think the "jazz band" quip is a double sided statement. One, Charlotte is ridiculing Bob's sleeping with the singer. Two, she is tossing out the distant possibility that she might have been willing to sleep with Bob. At least, she wishes Bob had considered that option. Her behavior in the elevator afterward reinforces my opinion.

Would she have had sex with Bob? This is never overtly dealt with in the movie and I think this is one of the movie's strong points. Personally, I don't think she would have let it happen.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#19 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:15 pm

Gee, I personally believe HE would have not let it happen either- and hey! he did not! that is why the movie is great. Two people building feelings for one another without the need of sex and drugs not rock&roll (well a little rock)
So...stop it with the sex possibility!

Bye :twisted:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#20 Post by 52FM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:06 pm

I agree - that is, I don't think Bob seriously considered the possibility of sex with Charlotte. To me the singer scene shows he's not against it - but she was too important to cheapen the experience for a momentary pleasure that they surely would have regreted.

Having said that, I actually don't even think Bob thought about it and decided not to oursue it. I personally (and I know others may not agree) don't feel he had that kind of relationship with her. I know that men can connect with women on an emotional level without sex being part of the equation whatsoever (Haryy & Sally to the contrary.)
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."