Evelyn Waugh

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

HappyWhenItRains
Traveler

Evelyn Waugh

#1 Post by HappyWhenItRains » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello! I'm new here so I'm sorry if this has been said before or if i bore you (If I do, I apologise in advance.) Lost In Translation is my favourite film...ever. The first time I watched it was a lonely Sunday night last June. Since then I've seen it six more times (five at night and four on Sundays - the viewings that fall into the 'late sunday night' category are always the most affecting) Now it's more like a friend than a film, which I suppose sounds a bit dumb to some people but I don't care.

Anyway, I'm off topic, sorry. What I came here to say was... I don't quite know what so I'll basically explain it. My cousin, who is the same age as me (seventeen) is also a big fan of the movie (not quite as obsessive as me though :oops: ) and when we see each other we watch various favourite highlights from the film and every so often we'll stumble across the scene where Charlotte meets Kelly and then Charlotte says "Evelyn Waugh? Evelyn waugh was a man." Around this time my cousin always says "What a b*tch!" Now, this upsets me because I think highly of Charlotte and I would have probably said the same thing but he doesn't understand why I don't like him saying it. Do I side with Charlotte just because she's beautiful or is it because I'm something of a snob myself? Do you think it shows what kind of person you are when reacting to that comment and also what kind of person you would like to start a relationship with? Because I think - and this struck me as I was typing - that my cousin reacted in very much the same way as John did whereas I chuckled, showing a more Bob like attitude (Like when they see her singing.) I just...I don't know, the whole films just a riddle of a dream.

Phew! Sorry about that, needed to get it off my chest, it bugs me every time! Thanks.
Step back and watch the sweet thing breaking everything she sees

StillNotFound
Tourist

#2 Post by StillNotFound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm an intellectual snob. I love quiet, intellectual girls who don't talk just for the sake of talking. And, vice versa, I find it hard to talk to, let alone like or get to know, stupid people. Thus, I fully enjoy and support Charlotte doing that; my friends and I say similar things about all sorts of people we encounter.

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#3 Post by SaitamaSteve » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:17 am

I can see what you're getting at. I can't comment too much on the relationship aspect of it, but I'll say this:

I'm sure you've noticed, but the film makes a clear distinction between the people who are "awake" (have trouble sleeping, getting used to Japan, their position in life)--Bob and Charlotte--and the rest, like John and everyone who seem complacent in life and sleep fine (presumably). Of course, Bob is somewhat of a mentor for Charlotte in coping with the whole situation, but I don't think there's a "wrong way" to react to it, per se. Sure, it might be reflective of your own personality, but that could be said of a lot of scenes in film. I think the characters of Bob and Charlotte appeal to us because as lost as they are in life, they seem to "get it" or at least want to get it, while everyone moves along without much thought. One of the things I've noticed is that Charlotte is pretty putoffish at first, but after being, I dunno, mentored by Bob it's like she learns to laugh at life a little. Bob and Charlotte obviously get a majority of the focus and are presented as our protagonists, but the other characters don't suffer that much from a negative presentation. I think it's about people at different stages in life with different values, and maybe that explains you and your cousin differing in reactions. :D

...and yeah, love snobs!

HappyWhenItRains
Traveler

#4 Post by HappyWhenItRains » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Ever since I signed up the boards have gone dead. Oh well.
Step back and watch the sweet thing breaking everything she sees

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by jeffyen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I think the comment that Charlotte made about EW wasn't just a reaction of what Kelly said, but a reaction that started when Kelly first met them.. 'John?!!' The way she looks at her up and down is so funny and then she finds John flirting with her and so get a bit pissed off I think.

So the 'problem' isn't that 'not everyone went to Yale, (what a snob you are Charlotte)', her reaction is really about 'who is this bimbo who's flirting with my husband?!'

Pitman
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pitman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:40 pm

You know, when John and Kelly meet up, it's more than likely they had a sexual relationship in the past. She is so into him.