Bill Murray/Bob - emotional about kids

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

T-Dot
Traveler

Bill Murray/Bob - emotional about kids

#1 Post by T-Dot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:51 pm

I recall seeing Bill Murray on David Letterman a number of years ago.
When the topic of conversation switched to Bill's children, he was suddenly overcome with emotion. He had to take a few seconds to compose himself and was clearly on the verge of tears (he actually wiped a tear away).
The emotion came from the guilt of traveling so much and, as a result, missing so many milestones in his kids' lives. It was sad and touching and very real.

I bring this up here because there was a moment in the movie, where Bob and Charlotte are lying in bed, and Bob says:

"But they learn how to walk,
and they learn how to talk, and...
and you want to be with them.
And they turn out to be the most...
delightful people...
you will ever meet in your life."

When I watch this moment, and the pauses within his delivery, it always seems to me like Bill Murray is holding back tears in the same way he did on Letterman.
He becomes sincerely emotional in a way that I'm not sure the script even called for, and he hides this emotion in his "sleepiness".
He delivers those lines from the depths of his heart and, because of this, it's always been one of my favourite scenes in the movie.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 am

Very cool and true I think. Another bit not completely touched on in this forum!

Personally, his words took on new meaning for me after the birth of my child. I understood a lot more what he meant in an experiential way.