DVD extras

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

bloomer
Lost In Jet Lag

DVD extras

#1 Post by bloomer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:12 am

So many of these extras should have been included. They are soo funny, the snake in the box on Mathew's show. I really don't think Bill new what was in the box. And how about Bob joining the aquafit lesson in the hotel pool. Classic.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#2 Post by KKDallas » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:43 pm

I totally agree with you! The water aerobics scene is so funny. I had to download Rick James' "Love Gun", which is the background music, just to play in my car. It makes me smile.

I also liked Kelly's press conference outtakes. Her facial expressions and reactions are so silly and superficial.

In the trailer, there is a quick shot of Charlotte and Bob walking on the street. They are wearing dark sunglasses. It appears it is near the "worst lunch ever" scene because they are wearing those clothes. Charlotte folds her hands across her chest, sulking and then Bob mimics her. It is a short clip in the trailer but I wish they would have included it in the movie. I would have loved to see more interaction between the two while Charlotte is being so pissy.

I guess you can tell I've been watching my DVD WAAAYYY too much! lol

Kathy

Chicken
Wide Awake

#3 Post by Chicken » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:57 pm

I disagree. While these scenes were interesting in their own right, they would have ruined the film.

The water aerobics scene was just plain silly. The audience shouldn't get the impression that Bob is an outgoing guy who initiates contact with others. The entire purpose of the first half the movie is to build on the isolation he is feeling, which is why seeing him swimming by himself was so crucial.

The rest of Matthew's show made me laugh my head off. Putting in more would have just been overkill, though.

I think the only scene that could have conceivably been left in was the robot scene. It could have further emphasized Scarlett's fascination with the Japanese culture, but it's still rather unnecessary and I'm glad they left it out.
In the trailer, there is a quick shot of Charlotte and Bob walking on the street. They are wearing dark sunglasses. It appears it is near the "worst lunch ever" scene because they are wearing those clothes. Charlotte folds her hands across her chest, sulking and then Bob mimics her. It is a short clip in the trailer but I wish they would have included it in the movie. I would have loved to see more interaction between the two while Charlotte is being so pissy.
That's interesting, I didn't notice that myself. It sounds like this was a pretty funny scene, and if that's true it has no place in the movie. The first half is supposed to be funny, the second is supposed to be serious, thoughtful, and emotional. The worst lunch scene was so great because of the brooding, awkward silence that's going on while you try to guess what these two characters are thinking.

This was a really calculated movie on the editors' part, and they did a fine job with it. I can't point out a single scene in the movie that seemed awkward or didn't have a purpose in the big picture, and that to me is part of the magic of the movie.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by hull_street » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:05 pm

It sounds like this was a pretty funny scene, and if that's true it has no place in the movie.
KKDallas gets the "most obsessive fan" award for the week. I missed that one, too. Chicken is right, it wouldn't have worked in the film, at least with the existing edit. Using the scene would have necessitated Bob and Charlotte making up during the very lunch they were fighting at. Charlotte is wearing Bob's sunglasses, so it would have to be assumed they were getting along again, which would have rendered the "fire alarm" scene that happens later pointless. It is a good clip, though, and I hope it is included in the "collectors" edition of LiT, whenever it gets released.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#5 Post by KKDallas » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:45 am

hull_street wrote:[quote Using the scene would have necessitated Bob and Charlotte making up during the very lunch they were fighting at. Charlotte is wearing Bob's sunglasses, so it would have to be assumed they were getting along again, which would have rendered the "fire alarm" scene that happens later pointless. It is a good clip, though, and I hope it is included in the "collectors" edition of LiT, whenever it gets released.
It is unclear whether the sunglasses scene occurred before or after lunch, therefore I don't think it can be assumed it occurred after lunch. In fact, after reading the scripts I obtained, it probably occurred before lunch.

Bob and Charlotte were supposed to be going to a sushi place but they were all closed. They had to walk around for a while to find a restuarant. That is why I think the sunglasses scene was prior to lunch. I don't think there is any sort of a reconciliation except for the one that occurs during the fire drill.

JMHO, though.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by hull_street » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:57 pm

I can see how this scene must have been a problem in the editing room. If Bob and Charlotte had to walk around together to find the shabu-shabu restaurant, they could have just made up then. The playful nature of the clip indicates that Charlotte wasn't upset with Bob anymore, which would have caused a problem in the restaurant later, when Charlotte is being really pissy. It would have been a nice clip to include in the film, but there just doesn't appear to be a good place to use it. Except the trailer, of course. :)

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#7 Post by jml2 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:13 pm

KKDallas wrote: In fact, after reading the scripts I obtained, it probably occurred before lunch.
I also think it's the scene from the script that takes place just before the lunch, in the street. Especially since Scarlett is in sunglasses.

jml98
Asleep

#8 Post by jml98 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:25 am

there a few scenes that are not in the movie and are not in the deleted scene portion of the DVD extra, but still, i've seen a "movie capture" or wutever for them (e.g.: ive seen a "still" of when Bob is actually buying that owl doll, but it is not in the movie) does anyone have an explanation for this? maybe it was just a screen shot for publicity? maybe other countries have slightly different versions of the movie? i am very curious as to why this is....

ps. jml2, are u the same one that posts on IMDB? hehe u sound very frustrated by the unitelligent responses by some of the LiT-haters...i can't blame u

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#9 Post by jml2 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:03 am

jml98 wrote: ps. jml2, are u the same one that posts on IMDB? hehe u sound very frustrated by the unitelligent responses by some of the LiT-haters...i can't blame u
yes I am jml2 on IMDB also. That messageboard is crazy

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

Owl

#10 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:13 am

I think the reason the shot exists of Bob buying the owl is perhaps to do with the free flowing nature in which the movie was shot. Seeing the photo, it looks like the hospital shop probably stocks them anyway and that the owl was bought on the spot as an afterthought. Afterall, they filmed the entire movie in 27 days.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#11 Post by Beery » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:45 pm

Chicken wrote:I think the only scene that could have conceivably been left in was the robot scene. It could have further emphasized Scarlett's fascination with the Japanese culture, but it's still rather unnecessary and I'm glad they left it out.
I would have liked to have seen that scene in the movie. I agree that it's the one scene that would have worked. But I don't agree that it shows her fascination with the culture. I think it shows how alienated she is - she seems to have the same level of connection with these robots as she has with the other Japanese people she's walking among: i.e. none at all. It emphasises her loneliness. Possibly it was removed because it could be interpreted as a racist comment (perhaps likening the robots to the Japanese people), and since the film has already been accused of racism without that scene, I think it may have been a good decision. Not that I agree with that criticism - I don't think the movie is racist at all - but if that unfair criticism switches potential viewers off, that's a bad thing.

jml98
Asleep

#12 Post by jml98 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:33 pm

Beery wrote: Possibly it was removed because it could be interpreted as a racist comment (perhaps likening the robots to the Japanese people), and since the film has already been accused of racism without that scene, I think it may have been a good decision. Not that I agree with that criticism - I don't think the movie is racist at all - but if that unfair criticism switches potential viewers off, that's a bad thing.
hmm..that could be, but maybe it was just removed b/c with too many scenes like this the movie would seem to drag. It's pretty clear that both charlotte and bob were pretty alienated, even without this scene, so maybe sofia didn't want to beat a dead horse. While us "hardcore" fans would have liked to see it, i think that many others would think the movie drags a little....