A new fan in 2011! (My Story)

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

PAUL_UK
Traveler

A new fan in 2011! (My Story)

#1 Post by PAUL_UK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm

I saw Lost In Translation for the first time a few days ago when it had a late night showing in the UK. I've heard of it before (being a Bill Murray fan) but always gave it a miss. I've always thought it was a romance, a film based on a foreign traveller that maybe falls in love with somebody that does not speak his language with only a translator to speak for him... boy was I way off there!

My wife does not enjoy films like this, she enjoys things that make you laugh and have a good story, but not things that are different. Three nights ago I was sitting up late, saw that it was on, and decided to give it a go. My reflection of this masterpiece is below.

I have seen a lot of films that claim to have moved people, that always have happy or sad endings and never stay with you after the night that they are watched. Lost in translation is not like other films, it takes a simple idea and never strays from the boundaries that would make it too complicated. I loved how everybody else in the movie was speaking a different language (even the people that spoke English!) and both characters became each others anchor in a world that was best reflected in the montages of neon lights and amazing music. And its those scenes that stick with me, imagining the scene in the car with them after the night of karaoke with 'my bloody valentine' in the background gives me a feeling that I cannot describe, and this feeling has been with me for days.

Both characters are at both ends of failed marriages, and oddly enough I think that Bob sees his past in her, and she sees her future in him.. if that makes sense. Coupled with the friendship that blossoms, and a romance that could have been.. it leaves me speechless.

Its a simple enough story, but the atmosphere is what does it for me. The perfect choice of music is incredible, and the various scenes and locations around tokyo compliment the movie in a way that no other city could.

Im 24 years old, I was only a young teenager when this film came out and it amazes me that I have never seen such a film before. It almost makes me sad that I missed its release and discussions that were created when this forum was born.

As for the whisper at the end... we all have our own ideas (another stoke of genius) I personally hope that he told her to tell her husband the truth to avoid making the same mistakes that he did, and that he would be in touch. I don't think she would have smiled if it was a last goodbye. A friendship like that can never end.

And finally! should there be a sequel?... In my opinion: No. However, if there was, it would have to involve them in tokyo again, maybe over one night (a little like before sunrise if you have heard of it.) but this should not be done!

I look forwards to discussing more of the movie with you all in the near future.

Until then, thanks for reading :-)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:29 am

Another one gets bitten by the bug!

Welcome to the forum!!

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by Old Member B » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by jeffyen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Amazing stuff, Paul... I learn something I haven't noticed before almost everytime I drop by this virtual park hyatt lol

streetwaves
Tourist

#5 Post by streetwaves » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:07 am

Paul, I liked reading your story. I too have become a huge fan of this movie in 2011. I'm 21, and I believe I saw LIT a year or two after it came out maybe in about 2004-5. But it's amazing how much I've changed, and the movie I probably fell asleep watching then when I would've been just a teenager is now one of my very favorites. The movie for me is just a world I can get totally immersed in, and I'm sure it'll hold its potency with me for quite some time.