Sexiest woman alive

Items specifically about Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, etc. Discuss!

Moderator: Bob

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Sexiest woman alive

#1 Post by I65 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:34 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060929/ap_ ... ohansson_5

NEW YORK - Scarlett Johansson's hourglass figure and plum movie roles have brought her many fans. Among them, clearly, the editors at Esquire. The magazine has just crowned her "Sexiest Woman Alive."

ADVERTISEMENT

The 21-year-old actress poses in come-hither garb on the cover and inside pages of the magazine's November issue, on newsstands Oct. 18.

On the cover, she wears a bra and a white Calvin Klein mini-dress; In a series of photos inside (showing her as an "enigmatic trailer-park temptress," the magazine says), she wears cleavage-baring black lingerie paired with an open white robe, among other get-ups.

Johansson, whose screen credits include "The Black Dahlia," "Lost in Translation" and "Match Point," says she would rather be admired for attributes other than sex appeal.

"What about my brain? What about my heart? What about my kidneys and my gallbladder?" she asks, addressing all the hoopla about her curves in an interview in the magazine.

She is no stranger to the paparazzi's cameras, and once flashed a sign proclaiming, "the person taking this picture is harrassing me."

"Apparently I spelled `harass' wrong," she recalls. "It was horrible. I couldn't remember whether it was one `r' or two, and I asked like four people, and they said two."

http://tinyurl.com/enuaz
Last edited by I65 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by 52FM » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:55 am

Let's see - she wants to thought of for things other than her sex appeal - and then poses in "come-hither" garb and cleavage baring get ups.

What part of "when men see these types of poses and get-ups, the brain is not part of the equation for either the man or woman" does she not understand?

I've said this before - she is a more sophisticated Britney Spears. Sounding innocent and yet posing to show off her curves.

Obviously, she has the right to manage her career anyway she wants. I've not seen her in anything since Girl With the Pearl Earing; though I will see her in The Prestige (not for her - but the movie sounds great.)

She has sort of become typecast - always playing the object of a man's desire in some way that is not quite "one man, one woman" - except I guess the Island.

However - sexiest woman alive? I woudl not argue - and I must say it's VERY encouraging to know that a woman with real curves - not artifically generated nor acheived through unhealthy lack of eating - can be thought of that way.

Now - we just need a young actress known for her ability to act!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#3 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 pm

Oh no! Don't compare Scarlett to Britney. I do understand the comparison though. She started early with mature roles.
Saw her in The Black Dahlia, she was absolutely stunning in it as with everything else she's in.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:16 pm

Check out the 4th photo in the slideshow Ith posted. Supposedly from Sept 10. I may have spoken too soon abvout her not being unnaturally skinny. (Though there are photos that are dated right around that time where she is more normal looking - I wonder if that phot was doctored - or if it is much older. Strange.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by lemoncupcake » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:34 pm

It might've been. It's weird with Scarlett. Sometimes she looks almost skeletal, others she looks normal. Even her L'oreal (I think that's it, i could be wrong) ads differ. Some she looks fabulous, others she looks skeletal.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:50 pm

I don't believe that she's one of the most beautiful women in the world, but she does have a beautiful smile.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by tsooml » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:54 pm

"[quote:058e733d54="52FM"]Now - we just need a young actress known for her ability to act![/quote:058e733d54]
Well, that's how [b:058e733d54]I[/b:058e733d54] know her."
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by 52FM » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:49 am

I did too - and then she started doing interviews - a lot focusing on her physical attributes - and posing for magazines and getting fondled in public and movie roles that seem slyly based on her being desirable (though I must acknowledge I've not seen any of them so my opinion has little basis other than perception.)

Anyway, I don't think Scarlett is known as a great actress anymore by the general public. She is doing next to nothing (imo) to be seen as anything but a very attractive and desirable woman.

And I read the full quote about her saying "what about my brain..." and it was obvious that she was trying to be funny. In other words - fake indignation of being thought of as a sex symbol - implying I guess that she really wants to be thought of that way.

OK - if that was her goal, she got it. I thought after seeing LIT and Girl With a Pearl Earing she had loftier goals.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by I65 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:19 am

I don't think that there is anything wrong with her capitalizing on all of her assets. :wink:

You would prefer that she wrap herself up in a burka and conduct interviews as if she was a snobbish prude instead of the fun and sexy young woman that she is?

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by tsooml » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 pm

"[quote:fb4083cda4="Ithildriel65"]I don't think that there is anything wrong with her capitalizing on all of her assets. :wink:

You would prefer that she wrap herself up in a burka and conduct interviews as if she was a snobbish prude instead of the fun and sexy young woman that she is?[/quote:fb4083cda4]
There is a difference between being sexy and being conscious and constant about it. What happened to that stuff she used to say in interviews, about loving real acting and wanted to finance her own projects?

I have to admit I haven't seen too much of her post-LIT work, just the Earring and college-test movie. I want to see more."
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by tsooml » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 pm

And by the way, kids, use tinyurl for your long URLs...my monitor isn't widescreen!
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by I65 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 pm

thesoundofonemanlaughing wrote:
Ithildriel65 wrote:I don't think that there is anything wrong with her capitalizing on all of her assets. :wink:

You would prefer that she wrap herself up in a burka and conduct interviews as if she was a snobbish prude instead of the fun and sexy young woman that she is?
There is a difference between being sexy and being conscious and constant about it. What happened to that stuff she used to say in interviews, about loving real acting and wanted to finance her own projects?

I have to admit I haven't seen too much of her post-LIT work, just the Earring and college-test movie. I want to see more.
She is a kid, who said she wont end up doing her own projects?

Where is she supposed to get that kind of money, if she doesn't do some mainstream work? She has to strike now, while she is the "it" girl, and capitalize on her money making potential if she wants to eventually produce her own movies. Bill Murray did plenty of comercial stuff back in the day, and he was good at it, as she most likely is (I've only seen lit and GWAPE).

I think that some are trying to hold her up to a puritanical standard that is unfair and unrealistic.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:31 am

It’s still an adjustment for an old guy like me – as times continue to change – to realize that a woman can both be serious about their job and still actually want to be thought of as being sexy. Obviously, that works a bit different for a actress than it would for someone in business. So, as Ith said – there is nothing at all wrong or inconsistent with Scarlett wanting that level of attention and still wanting to be thought of as a serious actress.

Having said that – there is STILL something about her that rings not quite right. Not sure if it’s insincerity, or naiveté, or more likely a contrived persona. This whole “I’m not promiscuous” headline that’s come out is obviously contrived. (And I can’t help but think again as her being a more sophisticated Britney Spears.) She wants to assure her “nice boy” (her words) partner that she’s serious about the relationship – but wants the fanboys to still think of her in a sexually charged way.

It’s a different world – and at some point I may just fall too far behind to catch up. I guess a woman can present herself rather obviously as being sexually desirable and still essentially be a “nice girl”.

There was a time not long ago when doing nude scenes pretty much labeled you as a non-serious actress. Obviously that’s changed –and it makes sense that it would. Magazines such as Maxim exist to provide the “acceptable” platform to display sexuality without it crossing too far. (With Playboy – after all these years – still being considered where the line is.) It’s just that so many of these actresses come across as “bimbos” or spoiled brats (I heard a quote by Siena Miller ripping the city of Pittsburgh as essentially being beneath her. She apologized and said she didn’t mean to be rude – and I would have had more respect for her if she was honest and said “I can’t help it – I like the atmosphere and lifestyle of New York too much to adjust and enjoy a more rough and blue collar town like Pittsburgh.” Of course – replacing the P with Sh was going a bit too far no matter what she might have said.) Scarlett still to come off as if she is closer to that image than say that of Halle Berry.

But – she is very young still (easy to forget since it’s been I guess about four years since LiT and she seemed early to mid twenties in that film.)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#14 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:03 pm

"You have no idea how offensive that statement is, do you?"

Ith - I know you realize I didn't mean to offend you; but since I did I want to apologize.
Last edited by 52FM on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 pm

nm
Last edited by 52FM on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by tsooml » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:11 am

"Uh, yeah, I think women want to be attractive and to be taken seriously. For anyone for whom that's a newsflash, so be it.

Jeez!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:"
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#17 Post by burgundy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:02 pm

She's special alright -- she was born on the day of a solar eclipse.

It's too bad that she has become so popular. At least, that's how I see it. She's doing shampoo commercials (see my topic in appearances) now and starting to resemble a archtypical hollywood starlet. Maybe she's no different from any other young actress -- she just happen to act in a film we all love. That's an accident that isn't really connected with who she is.
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Pitman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:50 am

Well it's all par for the course. As a teen she was a bit lanky and not the bombshell she is now. But she blossomed. And wen the media starts telling you how sexy you are over and over again, how can you not buy into it? So, I see it as just a phase she's going through in her life. Why not milk it for what it's worth? If she's a serious actor, I'm sure she'll get back on track and do some more significant things in her art. Give her some credit, she's still a babe.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#19 Post by Bren » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Well yeah, she is absolutely gorgeous, so naturally she is going to get attention as a consequence, and will therefore end up with all the promotion. That's what happens ain't it...
"Everyone wants to be found."