Suntory Whisky in Other movies...

Post appearances in the media including print, online, tv, radio, etc. for cast and crew.

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

Suntory Whisky in Other movies...

#1 Post by Pitman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Has anyone noticed the Suntory Whisky in Babel?

Just saw it...heh heh

K
LIT Super Fan

#2 Post by K » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Just adding to this, incase nobody knows, Suntory is actually a very big drinks company in Japan, they do anything from bottled green tea to the whiskey you all know and love.

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 am

Just adding to this also, Suntory is apparently one of the worst companies in the world, in terms of innovation, people management, quality of managment, and even quality of products.

No offense to anyone that works at Suntory or likes their products, but apparently, in the business world, they are not held in high regard!

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#4 Post by Suntory » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:56 pm

So what you're saying then is that "Suntory Time" is a fantasy dream world idea concocted by marketing wizards?!??!

I'm crushed! 8) :roll:

Well we can always dream can't we?!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pockets » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:49 pm

jml98 wrote:Just adding to this also, Suntory is apparently one of the worst companies in the world, in terms of innovation, people management, quality of managment, and even quality of products.

No offense to anyone that works at Suntory or likes their products, but apparently, in the business world, they are not held in high regard!
I'm not sure that any of us would want to work for most Japanese companies. They have a terrible reputation for overworking their employees. The Japanese even have a word for this phenomenon, karoshi, which means death from overwork.

KAROSHI: DEATH FROM OVERWORK

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:00 pm

haha yeah there ya go.

Suntory

#7 Post by Suntory » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 pm

I thought Karoshi also meant to (literally) die at one's desk!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pockets » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Suntory wrote:I thought Karoshi also meant to (literally) die at one's desk!
Dying at your desk from overwork or dying at home exhausted from work stress is about the same thing... don't you think?

I was reading an article about alternative Asian medicines, and one practitioner mentioned the concept of karoshi and how it's felt that a human has only so much energy to expend in his lifetime. So long weeks of overtime add up and cause those workers to use up a lifetime's work of energy in a much shorter amount of time. I'd like to think that if one were to overwork for a period of time, one could completely recover by taking a long sabbatical to re-charge ones batteries... but according to this Asian doctor, not so. Energy out is just used up and can't be added back in.

Suntory

#9 Post by Suntory » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Interesting theory that practitioner has but it's not something I would personally
believe in. I have been exposed to other eastern ideas about energy and the nature of the universe.

Ideas which say that if you do practices such as meditation or yoga
which (aside from being refreshing!) put you in touch with the energy
of the universe which in turn gives you more energy. So living life in accord with
nature and natural law and being in touch with the unbounded awareness of the
cosmic consciousness of the universe will in turn
give one access to that unbounded energy and awareness.

Did you get all that?! :shock: Am I being too Deepok Chopra-y?! :D

I think Pitman knows what I am talking about because we have touched on this in other topics.

Now, on the subject of Karoshi, if one abuses their body and mind and
push it beyond the ability to recharge and rest and be healthy then
nothing will help it.

As for taking time off to recharge, I have done it and I have found that a minimum of 3 months
is required for any decent recharging. A year or two is also preferable! :roll:
But failing that, I find that on occasion when necessary, a 420 break for an evening is like taking a couple weeks off,
a nice mental vacation! :twisted:

Pockets
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Pockets » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:00 pm

There were many years where I worked two jobs or just a lot of hours. My record at one hotel was 96 hours on the clock. But it wasn't all stressful hours. Doing setup and breakdown work is very easy. The food service wasn't too bad as long as the team was organized. So I feel that I wasn't using up all of my lifetime's allowance of work energy those years. I feel that some of the Japanese work environments are highly stressful and from the start to finish of every of their work days.

This Japanese stressful work attitude reminds me of their traditional importance of not breaking their word or tarnishing their reputation, and committing sepuku when they did. Interesting mental conditioning. Christians have their bibles and god to keep them morally in line (so that they can get into heaven) and the Japanese instilled in their people a strong moral code that was not religion based.

Otherwise medically, it seems to me that developing late onset adult diabetes is a result of abusing your pancreas with the overeating of sweets and being overweight, and using up all the insulin it is designed to produce many years before its time.