Scarlett Johansson sings backup for Jesus and Mary Chain !

Post appearances in the media including print, online, tv, radio, etc. for cast and crew.

Moderator: Bob

jml2
WooHoo Guy

Scarlett Johansson sings backup for Jesus and Mary Chain !

#1 Post by jml2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Actress “slash” aspiring singer Scarlett Johansson sings backup for Jim Reid of Scottish alternative rock band The Jesus and Mary Chain during the song “Just Like Honey” at Coachella Music Festival on Friday at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, Calif.

click for picture

www.justjared.com

Pockets
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pockets » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:52 pm

She's looked much better. Not a good leg shot.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#3 Post by Bren » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 pm

Pockets wrote:She's looked much better. Not a good leg shot.

Hmm, agreed.

Would be nice to hear her singing in Just like honey. :D
"Everyone wants to be found."

Pockets
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pockets » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:24 pm

I hope that I didn't come across as catty, but she's looked much better. I hate the hat also.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by Tombo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:30 am

Sweet Jesus of Nazereth...she looks awful! Maybe she was still hung over from the SNL after-show par-tay. :wink:

Tom xx

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed May 02, 2007 12:23 am

Tombo wrote:Sweet Jesus of Nazereth...she looks awful! Maybe she was still hung over from the SNL after-show par-tay. :wink:

Tom xx
LMAO.. I tend to agree
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Pitman
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Pitman » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

LOL, It doesn't help that what she's wearing looks like curtains from some 70's throw-back living room.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pockets » Wed May 02, 2007 11:51 am

For her age, her upper thighs could be smoother. Too bad she didn't have a stylist dress her. That outfit wouldn't look good on anyone. Well it's further proof that everyone has their beautiful and not so beautiful moments. She's only human.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#9 Post by Bren » Wed May 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Pitman wrote:LOL, It doesn't help that what she's wearing looks like curtains from some 70's throw-back living room.
No, it doesn't. :lol:

Bob_san
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bob_san » Fri May 11, 2007 12:19 pm

One thing I have to say despite the controversy :shock: about her thighs and dress, is that when she sang on the recent SNL she can really belt it out, she sang great!!!

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#11 Post by Bren » Fri May 11, 2007 1:33 pm

It would be nice to have a listen to her singing, thus I hope someone uploads a video of it onto youtube or something.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#12 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri May 11, 2007 2:16 pm

I've just watched it and she only sings one line 'Honey' and as much as I like Scarlett her singing is absolutely awful in it :?

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paPtRuIw2Y
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#13 Post by Bren » Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 pm

TokyoGirl wrote:I've just watched it and she only sings one line 'Honey' and as much as I like Scarlett her singing is absolutely awful in it :?

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to agree with you on her singing. :?

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#14 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri May 11, 2007 5:01 pm

It's strange but to me it doesn't sound like her voice, I mean not like how i'd expect her to sound... if you get me :?
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Pockets
Suntory Time

#15 Post by Pockets » Fri May 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for the link! I hate that outfit even more now. lol. Anyway, it takes time to develop a good onstage presence and she wasn't given much to work with just singing 'honey' at the end. I also know from being a frustrated rock musician that sometimes the monitors on stage can be lacking in terms of letting the vocalists know how they sound in the rest of the performance hall. Maybe she couldn't hear her own voice very well.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#16 Post by Tombo » Sat May 12, 2007 10:14 am

TokyoGirl wrote:I've just watched it and she only sings one line 'Honey' and as much as I like Scarlett her singing is absolutely awful in it :?

Blimey.

Not good at all.Thanks for the link,though.
As for the performance,well...I guess you just had to be there,eh? :wink:

Pockets
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Pockets » Sat May 12, 2007 10:29 am

In a way, it's too bad for all of our fancy electronic gadgets (digital cameras and phone that can take vids) and youtube. Had we not be able to see that clip, our imaginations would have created a better performance for us.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#18 Post by Bren » Sat May 12, 2007 11:37 am

Pockets wrote:In a way, it's too bad for all of our fancy electronic gadgets (digital cameras and phone that can take vids) and youtube. Had we not be able to see that clip, our imaginations would have created a better performance for us.
Yeah, undoubtably. May I ask though, how did Scarlett end up taking part in the performance? I know it must have something to do with the song being featured in LiT, but, is that just it..?

I did think it was nice that Scarlett had made a connection between the song in the film and 'real life', but her singing didn't live up to expectations. :(

Pockets
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Pockets » Sat May 12, 2007 12:24 pm

I'll bet that Scarlett knows a lot of musicians being who she is, so it must have been in part due to the LiT connection.

Again, given what she sang and the venue, it's not surprising that her singing sounded like crap. Outdoor venues are very hard to have good sound quality at, plus consider the equipment that the vid was recorded on.

Scarlett has a pretty voice, but not the pipes of a real singer like Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin or Janis Joplin. I wonder if Scarlett is taking voice lessons? It takes time, training and effort to become a good vocalist. And to be on stage, it also takes work to develop a good stage presence/persona.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#20 Post by LostCalls » Sun May 13, 2007 4:43 pm

It sounds to me as if she were singing an octave higher than what would be her normal register. If you've heard her sing elsewhere (recent SNL, e.g.), you'll notice that her singing voice--like her speaking voice--is decidedly lower than what we're hearing in this "Just Like Honey" Youtube video. Basically, she was just singing out of her natural range here, and it didn't sound like her usual voice.