Japanese Story

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

Japanese Story

#1 Post by KKDallas » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:27 pm

This is another movie about falling for someone you'd never expect simply because you are alone in a foreign land. It was released around the same time as LIT and stars Toni Collette, a fabulous Australian actress. It is also directed and written by a female, although 2 different females.

Toni's character, Sandy, is forced to take an important Japanese business client on a tour of the Pilabar (an isolated desert in Western Australia). They don't get along at first but they end up becoming friends and more. Neither one understand the other's language and customs. They are both stuck in an unfamiliar and isolated area. In fact, in the director's commentary, she mentions LIT and its influence regarding the use of subtitiles when Hiromishu (the Japanese co-star) is speaking.

Toni's performance is awesome. I liked the movie and wanted to let you all know about it. It certainly doesn't replace LIT as my favorite but it was very good.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

RE: Japanese Story

#2 Post by phillygalinutah » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:20 am

This movie caught my eye browsing titles at Blockbusters, and I watched it over the weekend.

Yes, I agree it has similar themes to LIT, but the difference here is the female character lead, Sandy, is familiar with the Australian desert, while the Japanese traveller, Tachibana, is not. This movie seemed to focus on two strangers and their gender and cultural differences. They both come together with their own unresolved feelings with dealing with loss in their lives. Sandy thought her mother's scrapbook clippings of obituaries of loved ones in her life were morbid. Tachibana seemed to come to Australia to 'find space" (literally :!: ) from possibly a business disappointment and/or his wife and family. Neither seemed to willingingly want to discuss the meaning of loss for themselves.

I don't want to spoil the movie ending for those who haven't rented it, but because Sandy found a "LIT-type" connection with Tachibana, in the end, Sandy realizes how important family and friends are and that a person needs to be able to talk about love and loss. What else can we call our own, but love and grief? The rest you can't take with you :wink:

LIT is still my favorite, but this movie is worth viewing too :D
"Everyone wants to be found"