Ghost World

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#21 Post by LostCalls » Fri May 11, 2007 2:43 am

I actually just wrote a final paper for my film class on Ghost World--specifically on the different modes of artistry represented in the film and their uses. If anyone's interested in reading, send me a PM; I don't want to just post the whole thing here.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#22 Post by Congruous » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:07 pm

LostCalls wrote:I actually just wrote a final paper for my film class on Ghost World--specifically on the different modes of artistry represented in the film and their uses.
I'm sure it is an interesting paper. It was obvious that art meant a lot to several people in the movie.

- It was fascinating to watch Enid, who could draw so well, take the concept of "found art" that she encountered in her summer school class, and twist it into a sort of propaganda. I'm not sure propaganda is the proper term. I got the impression that she was upset that the girl in her class who used the found art in its original, Duchampian context was allowed to use it as a legitimate exhibit, so Enid twisted the concept. Enid's intelligence always seemed to end up having a subversive effect.
- Seymour's love of his old records and his appreciation for genuine blues helped give his character a profound depth that offset what on the surface appeared to be nerdiness.

One thing that sticks with me as I think about "Ghost World" is the image of Seymour falling back into his old ways at the end of the movie. It reminded me of the end of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," when the kid who stuttered was almost saved when he had sex with the hooker. The nurse came in and reminded him of his mother and all his progress evaporated.
"Are there no more arrows left?"