The Virgin Suicides

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

The Virgin Suicides

#1 Post by The Shoegazer » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:06 am

I saw it last night and its a great movie, I think Sofia did a good job translating the novel(which I am in the middle of reading) into the movie.
Its dark and bizare at times and its one of the creepiest movies I ever saw and thats good because I love that kind of movies/books. Its has been stuck in my head, especially the ending scene with Playground Love playing in the background.I assume most of you have seen it, what are your opinions about it?
Here we are, Stuck by this river

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:08 am

What a coincidence, I saw it yesterday. Thought it was pretty good, for some reason I really don't like Josh Hartnet, but I guess he was perfect for that role.

I love at the end where the four boys are standing on the lawn and one holds up a lighter and "Playground Love" by AIR came on. I'm not sure what it was about that scene, but I thought it was pretty cool.
mike

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:25 pm

i actually haven't seen it...i guess it is worth seeing then?...thanks for spoiling the ending for me! :D

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by The Shoegazer » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:30 pm

Well, doesn't the title spoil the ending right away?And another thing, were those sisters really virgins? or was it a metaphore or a deeper meaning because there seemed to be a few "love" scenes there. Its a weird movie in a way. I am not aware of other Sofia's work besides LiT and VS, were there other movies she directed? I liked both of those movies VERY much, especially LiT which in a way changed something in my life, so I am looking forward to Sofia's future work .

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:25 am

The Shoegazer wrote:Well, doesn't the title spoil the ending right away?And another thing, were those sisters really virgins? or was it a metaphore or a deeper meaning because there seemed to be a few "love" scenes there. Its a weird movie in a way. I am not aware of other Sofia's work besides LiT and VS, were there other movies she directed? I liked both of those movies VERY much, especially LiT which in a way changed something in my life, so I am looking forward to Sofia's future work .
I believe "virgin" is a metaphor for loss of innocence and that sort of thing. It was implied that Lux had sex quite a few times.

i actually haven't seen it...i guess it is worth seeing then?...thanks for spoiling the ending for me! Very Happy
:oops: sorry! although i didn't really give away any of the plot, just described a cool scene is all. 8)
mike

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by jml2 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:59 am

The Shoegazer wrote:I am not aware of other Sofia's work besides LiT and VS, were there other movies she directed? I liked both of those movies VERY much, especially LiT which in a way changed something in my life, so I am looking forward to Sofia's future work .
You can find out a lot about Sofia's work on IMDB. VS and LIT are her only movies so far (directed and written by her), and her next movie is Marie-Antoinette.
I also like VS a lot, very pretty and great use of music as with LIT.

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by The Shoegazer » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:55 pm

ok, thanks , I'll check it out.I think Air did a great job describing the mood of the story or that moment in their songs.

spanishgeorge

VS versus LiT

#8 Post by spanishgeorge » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Mmmm!! I discovered this site 5 minutes ago, in one of my free hours at college, being completely bored waiting for the next lecture.

I was reading about LiT and VS and I think that both of them are the same, I mean just excelllent and uunforgettable movies. I can understand that LiT seems to be more haunting (an adjective used in VS Trailer, "There are moments in time that haunt you, touch... Love, sex, death, passion... just like life"). Anyway, after that freak moment (I am crazy about those movies), I think that both filmsare structures or proposed under the same premises, they are poetry experiences, working as short stories, with lots of glances, silent conversations... Sometimes seem to me that you are writing the film in the same style as Virginia Woolf would do, as recording every moment of life cuz it is important since it becomes part of that general moment called life. However, both cinematographic experience convey more than literature, Air compositions are just amazing and from my point of view, Soffia Coppola builds two poems about two different years, conveying subtle different worlds with just some yearas of differences.

Moreover, I am too excited while writing this so I am going to stop although I promise I will be writing sooon, both Lux and Charlotte are my dreamt women, those poetical experiences you cannot get rid of. Scenes as those starred by Dunst (why nobody appreciate her class performance in VS??) like those on the field or the vissions in which she glances... or when Charlott walks around the river and specially that UNFORGETTABLE (From my point of view the best scene ever!!) walk with the pink umbrella (apart from the pink whig and the party) crossing tokyo.

Anyway guys, sorry for being so excited, I leave my mail here and I am expecting you to answer me, ok??

I promise I will be back soon.

Jorge (I must apologize for my English, I am Spanish)

spanishgeorge

#9 Post by spanishgeorge » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 pm

Sorry, my e-mail is elgeorge225@hotmail.com.

I check it everyday so I am waiting for your answers and comments

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#10 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:54 pm

spanishgeorge, welcome to the forum! i will email you shortly to talk about it, but you can also talk to everyone through the forum too! register and post lots.
mike

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by The Shoegazer » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:03 pm

nice to see new members. Don't apolagize, your English is better than mine :D

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#12 Post by blades7896 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:24 pm

I've only just got round to seeing The Virgin Suicides, and it amazes me how underated the film is, its fantastic, the music, the imagery everything.

Sofia Coppola is a genius.

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:40 pm

The film is great but you can't give all the credit to Sofia. Some has to go to Air and Jeffrey Eugenides who after all wrote the novel. In these days, people don't appreciate movies like LiT and VS for one reason or another. The music is great and Sofia very successfully translated the book into the movie.