Scrooged

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Scrooged

#1 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:54 am

I was just flipping channels and happened to catch a Bill Murray tribute on Bravo! featuring Bill's films Groundhog Day and Scrooged. It's the first I've heard of it(Scrooged). What a great performance by Bill! :D Has anyone else seen it?
Last edited by Just Like Honey... on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#2 Post by jml98 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:53 am

seen Groundhog Day, but not scrooged..i'm guessing it was good? u liked it?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:25 am

it was great. bill was a little weird. he plays the role of the modern day Scrooge(a rich, money-minded self-loathing corporate executive), but the underlying sarcasm that we ususally see when bill is trying to look angry just isnt there. different for sure, but its a cool movie worth checking out.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Silver
Wide Awake

#4 Post by Silver » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Do you know the name of the show on the Bravo channel that you managed to catch?

If so, maybe it will be repeated later this month or next?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:09 am

it was just Bravo Sunday Cinema. I guess they play movies every sunday night... beyond that im not sure, i just saw it in the guide.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by hull_street » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:34 pm

I think there was something very mean-spirited about this film that never sat well with me. The tone was never consistent, and the film seemed to just get away from its creators at times. Despite all this, Bill Murray was enjoyable to watch, as usual, and it does start off with a gut-bustingly funny opening "promo" of a mythical Christmas special. If only the rest of the film had stayed in that vein, it might have been something worth watching again.

I may give it another shot sometime, but it won't be because I have fond memories of it.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:13 am

I can admit that it was a little creepy to see the comedy lacking like that in a movie that seems to rely on comic relief so to not overwhelm the viewer, since the movie itself was quite sarcastic and angry. But then again if it's a movie that Bill has worked on, I'm probably going to sugar-coat it anyway. And I agree that it doesn't stay consistent with the light-hearted yet intense opening scene, choosing instead to descend into a creepy vortex of bitterness almost immediately afterwards. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I get what you mean by 'mean-spirited' and I notice the same thing.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#8 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Oh Dear, I own the DVD of Scrooged, that's how good it is!
I adore the jokes and Bill was great in it!!! :lol:
Bill Murray rocks now and forever. That's just a fact.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#9 Post by jml2 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:10 pm

I loved Scrooged back in the day, and probably still would

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by adrien950 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 am

I thought Scrooged was the perfect update to a holiday classic. We watch it every Christmas! :)