Sofia's film influences

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Sofia's film influences

#1 Post by Suntory » Wed May 12, 2004 12:46 pm

I was reading and have heard that Sofia was influenced by
Wong Kar Wai and his films like Chung King Express (which has similarities to LIT) among others. I'll have to rent them and see.

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/chungking_express.htm

Any others anyone knows of?!

Arluss
Traveler

#2 Post by Arluss » Wed May 12, 2004 5:12 pm

I need to see that. I like finding new movies to watch.

pearly
Traveler

#3 Post by pearly » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:03 am

Sofia thanked Wong Kar-Wai during her Oscar acceptance speech, so his films definitely influenced her. Chungking Express is a great film. I liked it more than In the Mood for Love

jml98
Asleep

#4 Post by jml98 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:14 am

Sofia's reverence (or at least, admiration) of the film Lolita is very apparent in the opening shot of Scarlett :lol: . The a** in the pink underwear is an idea she got from the opening of the movie Lolita (in that movie there is a closeup of the toes) Theres a quote from Sofia explaining this opening shot, but I'm too lazy to put in on here :)

#5 Post by Guest » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Also: Roman Holiday, l'avventura.... there is the scene where they are watching La Dolce Vita which is tied to the movie (a man spends a night with an American movie star). I know there are more.

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#6 Post by silvermoon » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 pm

chungking express is sublime, probably wong kar wai's best movie with in the mood for love (both very different though). very similar to LiT in the cinematography and depiction of loneliness. arguably as good in certain areas (still prefer LiT overall, just)