Anna and the King

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Anna and the King

#1 Post by 52FM » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:42 pm

There are three movie versions of this story (or four, if you count the annimated version. The most popular is the musical with Yul Brenner. But the best to me is this one with Jodie Foster and Yun-Fat Chow (sometimes credited as Chow Yun-Fat.)

No music - a civil war conflict in the background. But very LiT like now that I think of it. They had a love that came from a growing mutual respect for what they gave each other - the last scene is especially heartwarming when they dance. The king (with his dozens of wives) said "until I met you, I never understood the idea of a man loving just one woman." Beautiful. His son thinks something that I can't remember close enoguh to try and quote - having to dowith his feeling watching the king dance with "the woman he loved". I've seen this movie several times on cable - thought of buying it several times. I think much underrated.

Edited to add: Here is part of the quote:
"It is always surprising how small a part of life is taken up by meaningful moments. Most often they're over before they start even though they cast a light on the future and make the person who originated them unforgettable. "
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:56 pm

I really love this movie. I also feel it's very underrated.
I own it and like watching it on rainy days.
I remember standing in the ticket line for the second or third time(I ended up seeing it five times at the movies) and there was an older couple in front of me. The husband was resistant about it,saying he didn't want to watch some dumb Disney type movie.I listened as he told his wife about one of his sisters who used to annoy him with a record of the musical when he was younger and just the thought of having to see this movie made him cringe.
The wife kept telling him that if he didn't want to see it he could go sit in the car for two hours. The entire exchange between them greatly amused me. He gave in,and from the look on his face,and in his eyes when he exited the theatre i could tell that he enjoyed it much more than his wife did.
I love the dance scene.
The entire movie is absolutely beautiful. The scenery,all of it.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 pm

I keep telling my daughter to watch this - I know she'd love it. It is one of my favorites.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."