'The Lost City"

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

'The Lost City"

#1 Post by phillygalinutah » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:40 pm

Here's a news link about Bill appearing in a new movie, "The Lost City", with Andy Garcia. :lol:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/si..._id=15903

The Lost City is based on segments of C.Cabrera Infante's own novel, "Three Trapped Tigers".

The movie story follows three brothers caught in Cuba's turbulent transition from the increasingly oppressive regime of Fulgencio Batista to the Marxist government of Fidel Castro in the late 1950s. Castro's regime ultimately leads them to flee to New York.

Here's some additional info I found from a NY book review:

"Many of Cuba's intellectuals embraced the Castro regime, but Guillermo Cabrera Infante, who criticized it, was condemned as a traitor and forced into exile. From this bitter experience, which included his hospitalization for mental collapse, came the vivid sketches of Cuban life that made up the acclaimed "View of Dawn from the Tropics". In exile he revised this work into "Three Trapped Tigers", a savage comedy that catapulted him into the first rank of Latin American novelist."

"Three Trapped Tigers" seems to have several speakers in the book - an actor, Arsenio Cué; a photographer, Codac, and a journalist named Silvestre.

I haven't read this novel myself, but it seems plausible Bill's writer character is this journalist. I'm guessing the journalist followed and wrote about Infante and his eventual exile.

This movie may turn out to be more of a dark comedy than a drama.

Garcia is set to start shooting "The Lost City" later this month in the Dominican Republic, says Production Weekly, with filming also scheduled for Miami and New York.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Photo of Bill from the Set of "The Lost City"

#2 Post by phillygalinutah » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:01 pm

Here's Bill looking GREAT :!: :!: and smartly dressed!!! Like fine wine, Bill keeps improving with age :P

"Everyone wants to be found"