Lost Highway (David Lynch/Barry Gifford)

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Ben-B
Japanese Surfer

Lost Highway (David Lynch/Barry Gifford)

Postby Ben-B » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:02 pm

It's that late nineties Horror/Noir film by David Lynch.

Featuring Particia Arquette in her most significant role yet. She plays the elusive and bewitching love interest that drives the events along.

For those who enjoyed the gentle beauty of LIT, Lost Highway will come as a bit of a shock. But a profound one nonetheless.

Many may not like it at first viewing but all the good films require repeat viewings. (Something LIT fans are known for)

This film really 'wacks' you on the head and takes you for a metaphysical ride but its a rewarding experience that unfolds like a great mystery.
I highly recommend this to our more brave LIT forum members.

If youve seen the film please share your experiences or reading in this post. :)

BTW Its the same guy who did Mulholland Drive and the ever popular Twin Peaks TV series.

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

Postby SuperDuper » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 am

Love me some David Lynch. For the ultimate Lynchian film, check out Inland Empire, pretty surreal film, even by Lynch standards.

Ben-B
Japanese Surfer

Postby Ben-B » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 am

Inland Empire, yes ,wow that really got to me you know. Its pretty hard to watch with the raw edge he gave it. Its feels like a Lynch film alright but this time it feels like a screwdriver ripping and twisting your mind and guts.
I don't think I would have understood IEmpire if I hadnt watched (& listened to)his other films. Actually that goes for any of them.

But Im curious to know why I've noticed a common theme (dare I say spiritual belief) within all his films, and thaose of other filmmakers of similar stories.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

Postby TokyoGirl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:54 am

I've seen Lost Highway but I didn't really like it. Mulholland Drive I absolutely love though, I must have seen it 30 times.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Ben-B
Japanese Surfer

Postby Ben-B » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:20 am

Mulholland Drive is fantastic I've seen it so many times Ive lost count . but I'm sure I've seen it at least 30 times.
I love how he uses alliteration in the dialogue for that film too. Its a clever way of reenforcing his Alphabet motif.

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

Postby SuperDuper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:52 pm

What was alphabet motif on Mulholland Drive, I never really noticed that and I have watched that movie tons of times.

Ben-B
Japanese Surfer

Postby Ben-B » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 am

One of David's 1st films was a shot animation piece called 'The Alphabet'. You can check it out on Youtube. If you get the idea behind that film it may help you to get more insight to Mulholland Drive and the rest of his works. In fact if you listen closely to his films you'll discover much more to chew on. In Mulholland drive the ABC idea is weaved through all the filmic elements.
See if you can pick up some new ideas from watching MD again and let me know what you catch. 8)

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Postby Suntory » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm

David Lynch is great but I think that Mullholland is the film that really pulls it all together and it is one of his best! I love it!

Ben-B
Japanese Surfer

Postby Ben-B » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:29 am

I came across an interesting connection between David Lynch's Lost Highway and the band Boards of Canada. There's a track curiously titled ''Pete Standing Alone' on their 'Trans-Canada Highway' album. Remember Pete

It dawned on me that when listening to the album I would almost always imagine scenes/dialogue from Lynch's 'Lost Highway' Why this unlikely association? Admittedly lthough I had been rewatching the film around this time It must have been floating about my mind. Still it didn't explain why this album so completely and dependably prompted this conflux of ideas.

Sure Lynchian images have a certain force behind them but as with all his films, sound is as, if not more significant than image. Talking on Lost Highway, Lynch offers sound as the cohesive narrative element while enigmatically hinting at a linguistic application. Perhaps employing low frequency techniques. Backward Masking anyone? I actually recall him using this technique in the fiinal episoode of Twin Peaks so it's right up his alley.

Boards of Canada are known to craft their music with similar goals in mind. Fans of their music claim to 'hear' hidden messages upon close listening or during altered states. Did someone say 'Marijuana'?

Short of torchering a confession out of the artists I don't have any way to prove what I believe I'm 'hearing' or rather reading. It's all too subjective an experience. Even Mary Jane dissapoints here; opening you up to more possibilities than you can verify.

Anyway its a uniquely rewarding experience to have two different artforms evoke the same set ideas and emotions that appear so closely bound by a common narrative.
If you're interested I urge you to listen to their album Trans-Canada Highway and let us know if you have any flashbacks like Pete. :shock:
Did I say Rapidshare? No? I should have.

*Edit: I incorrectly stated Pete Standing Alone was on the Trans-Canada Highway album. It's actually the final track on their Music Has the Right to Children album. But even so I still feel the same about it.

Return to “Related Films”