Hey Fellows Insomniacs...WeAreAwake Board Has Been Found!!

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Hey Fellows Insomniacs...WeAreAwake Board Has Been Found!!

#1 Post by phillygalinutah » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:19 pm

Found this great news article...about two of my "fav" internet forum boards too 8) :!:

Phillygalinutah

Cult movie fans find homes on the Internet

By Kathleen DeGuzman
Teentime Correspondent

October 8, 2004

Forget about The Evil Dead, A Clockwork Orange and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. A new breed of cult movies has been spawned through fan sites and message boards on the Internet. These new followings range from those with fussy obsessions with the films of Wes Anderson to people claiming to have "found" themselves through Lost in Translation.

To get a glimpse of these fan bases, just visit any major movie Web site, such as the Internet Movie Database or Rotten Tomatoes, and head over to their forums, where you're likely to see topics posing questions like "Can someone PLEASE explain Donnie Darko to me?" or "Who's your favorite Tenenbaum?" Discussions such as these can bring out the fanatical sides of people, dissecting the tiniest details of movies others wouldn't even imagine taking into consideration.

The Internet Movie Database, which provides a particular message board for all movies, serves as a lively outlet for cult movie fans. Followings that have built up as a result of a movie being popular on home video find even stronger legs online.

For example, the 1994 cerebral hit man movie The Professional didn't make a huge impact when released in theaters, but has gained a dedicated following online thanks to the release on DVD four years ago of the uncut international version known as Léon. The popular topics on the IMDb board dedicated to Léon range from a discussion of the symbolism of milk in the movie to debates about the prospects of a sequel.

Ghost World, a teen movie for those who hate teen movies, is another online cult favorite. The 2000 movie starring Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson as two angst-ridden recent high school graduates is filled with lines like "I can't relate to 99 percent of humanity" and "Everyone is too stupid" that are often quoted online. Already having a strong fan base due to the comic book of the same name, Ghost World is topped with an ambiguous ending that is likely to keep fans talking for years to come.

On a more obsessive scale, there are even entire Web sites and forums that provide niches for individual cult favorites. One of the most active is Yankee Racers, a message board dedicated to director Wes Anderson's movies (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums). After spending a few minutes browsing through these boards, you'll discover people expressing their excitement at finding the same striped dress Gwyneth Paltrow wears in The Royal Tenenbaums on eBay and write-ups on the similarities between Anderson's films and the works of author J.D. Salinger.

Although it is rather popular on its own terms, Lost in Translation has a unique following of online insomniacs. In the forum for a fan site of the movie, aptly called WeAreAwake.org, members recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of the film's release and shared stories of how they found solace in the movie. One member even takes pride in having seen Lost in Translation in the theater 17 times.

In the age of technology we're living in, the Internet has replaced water-cooler discussions for spreading the word on certain films, and in the process, has given new life to movies that may have faded from the minds of regular moviegoers. Under the veil of a monitor and a keyboard, fans of cult movies can safely exult in manifesting their obsessions online.
"Everyone wants to be found"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Hey Fellows Insomniacs...WeAreAwake Board Has Been Found

#2 Post by jm » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:19 am

"[quote:b9545fd2d0="Kathleen DeGuzman"]One member even takes pride in having seen Lost in Translation in the theater 17 times.[/quote:b9545fd2d0]

I'm famous![/size:b9545fd2d0] :roll:

Today is my birthday: the ladies may kiss my cheek or lips as they wish. :lol:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by hull_street » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:02 pm

Hmm, I think this is one of those "you know you're an obsessive fan when" moments ! I think it's great that they drew attention to the site, though. It might be good for drawing some new members into the ranks, too.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#4 Post by lost in translation » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 pm

can we get a link to the article please?

this is a small site. surprised it got recognition.

switchtosake
Lost In Tokyo

Re: Hey Fellows Insomniacs...WeAreAwake Board Has Been Found

#5 Post by switchtosake » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:45 pm

johnmonkey wrote:
Kathleen DeGuzman wrote:One member even takes pride in having seen Lost in Translation in the theater 17 times.
I'm famous! :roll:

Today is my birthday: the ladies may kiss my cheek or lips as they wish. :lol:
Too funny ha!

Way to go john!

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: Cult Movie Fans Find a Home on the Internet

#6 Post by phillygalinutah » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:45 pm

So sorry...here's the Internet link...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/cu ... s-showtime

I also learned the article author is a friend of the Yankee Racers board; she goes under the name "Sunset Jones"
"Everyone wants to be found"

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

Re: Cult Movie Fans Find a Home on the Internet

#7 Post by lost in translation » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:48 pm

phillygalinutah wrote:So sorry...here's the Internet link...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/cu ... s-showtime

I also learned the article author is a friend of the Yankee Racers board; she goes under the name "Sunset Jones"
very cool, thanks! :-]

#8 Post by Guest » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:06 pm

Lost in Translation has a unique following of online insomniacs. In the forum for a fan site of the movie, aptly called WeAreAwake.org . . .
HOLY COW!!!!! :shock:

Cool! :D

#9 Post by Guest » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:40 pm

I checked the stats to see if the article showed a hit blip but it did not.
So I think not many people who read it were motivated to come and visit.
On Oct 8 and 9 the number of unique vistors is just about the same.

Interestingly though June and July averaged about 640 unique visitors while August and Sept picked up to almost 900!

EDIT:
------
And oddly enough if you do typical search phrases in Yahoo, this site
shows up in the top 4 or 6 whereas in google it's nowhere to
be found! Weird!

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#10 Post by Blissbomb » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:27 am

lol@johnmonkey.........and they said you would never make it!
Lost in World

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by jm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:00 pm

"[quote:84d82184e5="Blissbomb"]lol@johnmonkey.........and they said you would never make it![/quote:84d82184e5]
Yeah I've finally peaked! :?
Glad you were all here to see it."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by The Shoegazer » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:06 am

it this board the largest of its kind? I mean is there another, bigger, site dedicated only for LiT with a forum? I am not counting those idm or whatever its name is, cause those sites have too many LiT haters who will not concede into reading any positive reviews or anything.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Just Like Honey... » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:51 pm

The Shoegazer wrote:it this board the largest of its kind? I mean is there another, bigger, site dedicated only for LiT with a forum? I am not counting those idm or whatever its name is, cause those sites have too many LiT haters who will not concede into reading any positive reviews or anything.
This is the most active pro-LiT forum that I could find, that's for sure. :D
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#14 Post by jml98 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:59 pm

you're not going to find a bigger board where you won't be attacked for liking the movie, that's for sure