the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#41 Post by 52FM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Wow - reading my introduction from almost three months ago makes me sound pretty depressing.

So here's a more proper one:
I am married (duh) with three kids (23, 20, 18); live near a rather large city in the Midwest near a very large lake that rhymes with "itch again".

I am in my 50's; my name is an abbrieviated amalgram of my IMDb name which was moviefan52; I thought of using MF52 but I wasn't sure how sensistive the filter was on this site. The 52 no longer refers to my age, but is my YOB. (Not BYOB - but if you want to , that's fine. Just make sure you're of age. Autumn Child, this meams you too.)

I love 70s music, but my overall tastes are very eclectic. I tell people my iPod (yes, 50 year olds know how to work them new fangled gadgets) has everything from Aerosmith to Yanni. Many lives ago I played bass in a band when I was in HS. My newest hobby is taking tapes we recorded in 1970, and applying software filtering, effects, changing volumes, trying to separate tracks, and all in all trying to at least make it so you can recognize what song we're playing.

I am a mathematician/statistician by education but not profession. Though I do teach a college class part time. I enjoy pro football and am a season ticket holder (wow - I just realized I narrowed down my identify to about 70,000 potential people.)

What else? No favorite color; my favorite number lately is pi (March 14 is my favorite day besides Christmas and once again my anniversary); not a big SciFi fan or gaming fan, but I do like the LOR and Matrix trilogies.

My kids and students tell me I have a very dry sense of humor. I usually take that as a compliment.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#42 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:34 pm

52FM wrote: (Not BYOB - but if you want to , that's fine. Just make sure you're of age. Autumn Child, this means you too.)
heh heh ive sat here for ages trying to work out what you're on about, so could you put me out of misery? :D

"In the United States, you frequently see the abbreviation BYOB on signs for organized picnics. BYOB stands for "Bring Your Own Beer""

is that what you meant?
52FM wrote: my favorite number lately is pi
really ? sorry if that sounded rude... :roll:
52FM wrote: My kids and students tell me I have a very dry sense of humor. I usually take that as a compliment.
thats the best sort of humour. My biology teacher is really funny, you have to watch him really closely to find any hint of a laugh/smile :D

until i came here, i didnt realise so many older (not to be rude ;) ) people were into forum-ing :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#43 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 pm

52FM wrote:I am a mathematician/statistician by education but not profession. Though I do teach a college class part time.
my favorite number lately is pi
Have you seen the movie "PI"? I watched it recently, it was pretty bizarre but had wondered at the time what a mathematicians take on it would be.
52FM wrote:(March 14 is my favorite day besides Christmas and once again my anniversary).
Curiosity killed the cat, but I have to ask why March 14 is your favorite day (though you don't HAVE to tell...hehe).

OOOO I figured out how to make two quotes in one post, dang I'm kewl for an old broad... :roll:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#44 Post by 52FM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:30 pm

March 14 is not really my favorite day; it is sort of a pun. Can anyone figure it out? It's not too hard.

No, I haven't seen Pi. I should; forgot all about it. I do however absolutely love A Beautiful Mind. Just to show how dry I can be - we went on a cruise as a family a few years ago. My wife wanted to get me a book that I would be able to enjoy as we were lounging out in the ocean (we were at sea for two nighs going out and another two going back.) Knowing me as she does and knowing how much I appreciated A Beautiful Mind she carefully chose the perfect book for me.

No, not John Nash's biography that inspired the movie. She bought me the complte collection of his papers, including his original PhD thesis (including a scanned version of the orginal typewritten paper.) I read it for hours with nothing but the ocean in front of me - very relaxing beleive it or not - and was happy that I understood about 25% of it.

Oh - and Autumn Child; BYOB is either Bring Your Own Beer or Bring Your Own Bottle. My (somehat) tongue in cheek reference to you regards your question on why we Americans are so uptight about teenage drinking.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#45 Post by Autumn Child » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:31 am

52FM wrote:Oh - and Autumn Child; BYOB is either Bring Your Own Beer or Bring Your Own Bottle. My (somehat) tongue in cheek reference to you regards your question on why we Americans are so uptight about teenage drinking.

ah heh heh got you now ;)

i can be a little slow... :P

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#46 Post by silvermoon » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:25 pm

i'm 19, male, live in the uk, i went through my own lost in translation relationship last yr, and subsequently rediscovered the movie. having detailed seemingly every aspect of it on the LiT imdb boards, i was referred here. and having read some threads, it's certainly heartening to find myself among such worldly individuals with whom i can relate

the only things people really pick up about me are that i love movies and football (or soccer). and with experience, lost in translation has proven to be the most affecting movie i have seen, which lead me here. i havnt discussed this movie for a long time, certainly not with others who actually appreciate it (excepting certain individuals on the imdb boards), but my current mindset demanded i speak out about it, so i will probably post intensely for a short period then disappear.

one last thing...i have a seemingly masochistic predilection for inflicting mental pain on myself, so most posts will involve a self concious rant about the last minor little thing that happened to myself, but on the odd occasion i might actually have something to offer. but dont bank on it. anyway, it's certainly good to be here

K
LIT Super Fan

#47 Post by K » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:06 pm

Hello,

I am 18, male and live in the UK. I watched LiT about a year ago and to be honest, didn't find it affecting me in anyway at all. I watched it a few weeks ago again and for some reason I've found a more in depth meaning to it then the first time I watched it. I found this board looking through LiT discussions on other forums and find the the posts very interesting.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#48 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:47 am

Ok - the March 14 was too subtle; lately March 14 has been declared "Pi Day" by matematicians; (since it is 3/14; get it?) Of course that doesn't work in the UK since they designate dates as day/month; not month/day.

I doscoverd that my younger son (who is studying a math related field) has the movie Pi; he has not seen it yet. We are going to watch it together this week before he goes back to college.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#49 Post by I65 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:20 am

First of all, welcome aboard K.

And 52, cool that you and your son are watching the movie PI together. Now I can find out how two mathematicians from different generations felt about it.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#50 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:38 am

Ithildriel - I meant to ask about your pets. What are the species, breeds, ages, genders (if that's not being too personal).

We have a female West Highland Terrier who just turned 9; we've had her since she was a couple months old.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#51 Post by I65 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:22 pm

Not too personal at all. Just that I can go on and on about them like any mother :lol:

I have one female dog that we adopted from the local animal shelter about 10 years ago. She is kind of Tuxedo colored I guess is what they call it on cats. Black with white on the chest, paws, and the tip of the tail. She is a healthy mutt, lab mix it said on her cage. The best that we can tell she is mixed with some type of terrior, most likely boxer since she used to like to get on her hind legs and "punch" with her front. Why does she no longer do that you may ask? She was hit by a car, and had her right rear wheel amputated. She has had many life threatening incidents in her life (she thinks she is a cat) and I tease that she isn't going to die, just leave us a little piece at a time. And with the way house prices are in Cali, I also joke that we could sell our house, and move down south, since we already have the three legged dog for the "stoop".

I have two cats, one all grey female about 6 years old, and a 2 year old male, all black. I tend to always have at least two cats, Three is the most at one time. I also usually have an all black cat. I think that they are really beautiful. They are a pain around Halloween though. My cats come and go as they please (I know that some think this is cruel, but I can't bear to lock a cat in the house 24/7, just isn't natural to me). So starting about mid October, the black cat has to stay inside all the time, because there are some sick individuals in this world who associate black cats with Halloween and do terrible things.

Anyway I know, TMI...but you asked :P

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Kicked in the stomach again - but not too hard this time

#52 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:44 pm

I saw Pi tonight.

Whoa! I can't do it justice quickly - I'll save it for another time. But I now see I am "schizo" - I have an "LiT" side that gets intense at times, and I have a "Pi/Beautiful Mind" side that gets intense other times. It is hard (maybe impossible) to stay in balance - and maybe that's why...

No, I'll save that for when I have time to think it through first.

My son didn't get it the way I did; as I began to explain, he gave me a look that said "you're scaring me, Dad."

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#53 Post by hull_street » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:17 pm

Yeah, I thought Pi was great, as well. It is really more of a movie about obsession, and the dangers of becoming singularly-attached to a notion or ideology. The lead character's tying in of pi with the makeup of the natural world and the spark of life itself really lends itself to some thought. His mentor pleading with him to develop perspective was a key point, for me. All around, a great film. I actually liked this one much more than Aronofsky's big-budget follow-up, "Requiem for a Dream", because it was so effective in creating it's own world for the viewer.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#54 Post by lemoncupcake » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:11 pm

I thought Pi was great as well :)

Oh yeah,Hi Everyone,i'm Jessica. I'm 25.My birthday is the day after "Pi Day".My Dad used to tease me about the ides of March,and how everyone should beware it.I didn't get the whole Julius Caesar reasoning behind it until i had to read it in High School.
I'm addicted to my ipod and Netflix.I'm one of those awful people that keeps new releases "too long" as the selection sits in someone elses queue it's status keeps changing from wait,to very long wait,to very very long wait because i either want to watch it again or haven't even watched it yet,but never seem to find the time because i'm busy watching all the stuff i filled up my DVR with so i can erase it and create new room to record even more stuff.I'm working on getting movies sent back quicker :)
I love cooking,i have a massive selection of cookbooks.I love all different genres of movies.Especially old ones.My favourite movie of all time is probably Sunset Boulevard with Gloria Swanson and William Holden in it (For all you Dragnet fans,look out for a very young Joe Friday in it) If you haven't seen it yet,i hope you will someday because it's absolutely brilliant.I didn't "get" the storyline until i was older but as a kid i'd watch it all the time because i was obsessed with the house in it,which was also used in Rebel Without A Cause.I thought i'd grow up and go to Los Angeles and live in that house,but it turns out it actually belonged to one of the Getty's and was demolished many years before my birth.
I love music all types.
I love candy,cosmetics and all other girl things.
My latest venture will be growing an herb and veggie garden from a kit i recieved for my last birthday.
I think i've rambled enough.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#55 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:46 pm

Great to see another Pi fan on board! Welcome!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#56 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:01 am

By tyhe way, I posted a while ago on this thread how Pi day in the US is 3/14, but it doesn't work in Europe.

Well, I've since found out that Pi day in Europe is July 22.

Why? (answer in a few days - but c'mon - someone figure it out!)

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#57 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:24 pm

Because the dates are different there? In America,the month comes before the day and in other countries it doesn't? Sorry i'm quite terrible at math.
I once sent my friend in Australia a Happy Anniversary card six months early because of the whole date thing.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#58 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:09 pm

OK - lemoncupcake - you're on the right track. So how do you write July 22 in numbers using the European date format? And what does that have to do with pi?

By the way - I thought from your spelling of "favourite" that you're from England. Not true?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#59 Post by I65 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:19 pm

22/7 = 22 divided by 7 = 3.1428571....

Wooo hooo do I get a prize???

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#60 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:43 pm

52FM wrote: By the way - I thought from your spelling of "favourite" that you're from England. Not true?
Scotland :) That's my good scottish education kicking in. ;)

Ithildriel65 *Hands over a cake* Here's your prize!