the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#101 Post by 52FM » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:18 pm

Welcome!

It continues to AMAZE me how many men are touched by this film - that many people incorrectly catergoized as a "chick flick". Seriously - I'd say at least two thirds of the frequent contributors on this board are male.

It's really told from both Bob and Charlotte's point of view; or you could say it's not told from either point of view. It just seems like men get hit more by the LiT kick for some reason.

And it's GREAT that this no longer new movie is still attracting people to this board - even though it's not an easy place to find out about.

I was thinking of this the other day and a strange thought came ot mind - it's sort of like the compelling feeling the people in "Close Encounters" felt - the need to see if others felt the same way - and the relief almost in knowing that many other people do.

Again, welcome to all the new members. Even though a lot has been talked out, feel free to resurect "old" topics (like "the nods"); it's fun to hear other perspectives.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

NegraModelo
Traveler

#102 Post by NegraModelo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:07 pm

52FM wrote: It continues to AMAZE me how many men are touched by this film.. It just seems like men get hit more by the LiT kick for some reason.
It hit me like a f'n ton of bricks! I experienced a love like Bob's for Charlotte several years back. I was married and I feel in love with someone that I had a strong connection with. But because of how my life was at that time, I had to keep myself in control, and after I changed jobs- I walked away from someone who still has a place in my heart. It was a very painful situation. Watching LiT made me connect with the story and I can't help but cry when the film ends. Its very emotional for me.
52FM wrote: ..it's sort of like the compelling feeling the people in "Close Encounters" felt - the need to see if others felt the same way - and the relief almost in knowing that many other people do.
Thats why I'm here! :D
"If you need to use any of my skills, I can do whatever you want."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#103 Post by I65 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:20 pm

Welcome Negra...

Isn't your handle the name of a beer? :?

NegraModelo
Traveler

#104 Post by NegraModelo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Ithildriel65,

You guessed it! :D I love dark ales and beers. Negra Modelo is my latest love in a frosty mug! I say latest because, once I find a beer that I like, I tend to drink it until I get sick of it. Then I'm on to the next sweet find. :lol: You into beer?
"If you need to use any of my skills, I can do whatever you want."

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#105 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I apologize for not having done this sooner :oops: . I guess an intro is in order :)

Im a mid 30's male also. Blah 9-5 job as an insurance investigator but I'm taking Multimedia / Production courses at night. I'm aspiring to hopefully transition into editing / filmaking. I do have 2 great sons and live in Los Angeles area. Im separated and we are in the process of getting a divorce.

I'm sure everyone of us has felt the deep connection with this film due to the relation of the story to our own lives. One powerful, emotional part of the movie that just deepened the movie's connection to me was when they were on the bed talking and Bob tells Charlotte that his wife just "doesn't need me to be there." This part hit me between the eyes like a truck just because of the similarities I felt because... yeah, she didnt need me to be there anymore and "the kids miss me but they're fine."

Although I was in love and cared about my soon to be ex wife, I really didnt feel any connection to her. As the movie ended, it was really bittersweet since you were happy that they found each other, albeit for a short time.. but bitter because you knew it just couldn't continue.

Anyway, I'm really happy to have found a spot with people who love this movie as I do. I guess I'm lost in LIT as well. :lol:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#106 Post by I65 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:13 pm

NegraModelo wrote:Ithildriel65,

You guessed it! :D I love dark ales and beers. Negra Modelo is my latest love in a frosty mug! I say latest because, once I find a beer that I like, I tend to drink it until I get sick of it. Then I'm on to the next sweet find. :lol: You into beer?
Long story, but my father owned a Pub, that couldn't get a hard liquor liscence so he was the first one in our area back in the 80's to do an extensive imported beer menu. I worked for him for some time, and remembered serving one or two of those.

I'm not a big time beer fan, but I do tend towards the darker ales when I do have one. Becks Dark has been my favorite for many years, but most pubs don't carry it. I find Newcastle Brown on tap around here a lot, so when I am in the mood for a brew, that's usually my choice.

My husband works at a winery, so at home it is usually wine for us. :D

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#107 Post by I65 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:22 pm

Welcome fly 8)

#108 Post by Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:56 pm

Welcome new members!

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#109 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 am

Wow...it's been quite a while since a new member posted on this thread!
Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and that I was unbelievably happy to stumble across this board. I look forward to meeting you and hearing what all of you have to say about one of the greatest movies of all-time. :)
I suppose I could write a bit more about myself. I am male, 36 years old, and live in Wisconsin. Um, and I am relatively boring, I think. That's about it. :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#110 Post by 52FM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Welcome "Cheesehead"! (And I say that with respect to my favorite state to visit on a quick getaway - and as a HUGE Bears fan who enjoys being part of the greatest rivalry in sports!)

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#111 Post by BrassInPocket » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 am

I am going to go on record as saying that, since I am not a football fan, I have *never* wore one of those huge orange foam cheeseheads. Ever! And any photo evidence against that is obviously Photoshopped. :)
And, personally, I love both Illinois and Chicago. I wish I would get to Chicago more often...it's a beautiful city.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#112 Post by 52FM » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:03 am

Well, I love Wisconsin. The border is about an hour from where I live - 90 minutes to Milwaukee and 90 minutes to Lake Geneva (where we go several times a year - sometimes for a few days but usually just for the day.) It just seems so clean and peaceful and relaxing. There is nothing around Chicago like the old fashioned roadside bars around Lake Geneva or Delevan. I love the fact that so many still have the "PBR" signs (Pabst Blue Ribbon). In the winter, it's great to sit with a view of whatever lake it's on and see the ice fishing and the people drive up on their snowmobiles. In fact, I'm getting the urge to plan to weekend up there again soon (after the Super Bowl, of course.)

Again - welcome!

Pockets
Suntory Time

#113 Post by Pockets » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

I only saw LIT for the first time this last Saturday night and loved it. And I was quite delighted to find this forum. :)

I am happily living with my boyfriend of three years. While we consider ourselves to be soulmates, there are no immediate plans to marry. We have three dogs and two cats. I'm into antiques and motorsports. I have seven cars, the boyfriend only two. I autocross, but he has done track events and one rally.

I love Japanese culture. While I am of Chinese descent, I prefer their sense of style and antiques. I've even waitressed at two Japanese restaurants. Anyway, LIT is a beautiful piece of filmaking.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#114 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:43 am

Welcome BrassInPocket and Pockets :D

Glad to see that people are still enjoying the feeling this movie can instill. Also, good to see you found your way to our own lil Park Hyatt Tokyo... Im sure you'll enjoy your stay :wink:

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#115 Post by Bren » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Hey everyone, :D

My name's Brendan, I'm from England, and after seeing LiT last Sunday, I've been somewhat obsessed. :lol: I've watched it five times already!

Anyways, I just think it's an absolutely brilliant film, and ranks as one of my favourites of all time! Personally, I think the ending is perfect, as are most of the other main scenes.

I hope to get to know a few more fans on here! :D

regards,
Brendan.
"Everyone wants to be found."

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#116 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:42 am

Heya and Welcome Bren...

Hope you enjoy your visits here heh.. I know I spend my fair share of time at the NY bar here. *snicker*

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#117 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:48 am

Hi, thanks. :)

Aye thanks, I'm sure I will. It's great to be around other fans of LiT, I've not actually met many. :( :lol:

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#118 Post by Tombo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:49 am

Hey guys!

My name's Tom,and I've been lurking on this site since the tail end of last year...and I've only just found this thread!

It's really great to find a site like this...I truly had no idea that other people out there in cyberspace were as deeply touched as I was by LIT. I'm looking forward to hearing more news and views! Cheers to you,Bob-San!

It's interesting reading how LIT has caused (albeit in a small way) people to perhaps change their perspective on life. For me, seeing LIT (and films like it) have been pretty instrumental in making me bite the bullet finally...after passing the audish las month,I start Drama school this coming September...!

And not before time,either...I'm 47... :shock:

Tom xx

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#119 Post by Bren » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Tombo wrote:Hey guys!

My name's Tom,and I've been lurking on this site since the tail end of last year...and I've only just found this thread!

It's really great to find a site like this...I truly had no idea that other people out there in cyberspace were as deeply touched as I was by LIT. I'm looking forward to hearing more news and views! Cheers to you,Bob-San!

It's interesting reading how LIT has caused (albeit in a small way) people to perhaps change their perspective on life. For me, seeing LIT (and films like it) have been pretty instrumental in making me bite the bullet finally...after passing the audish las month,I start Drama school this coming September...!

And not before time,either...I'm 47... :shock:

Tom xx
Hey Tom!

Aye it changed my perspective on life, slightly. Not going to go into it now, but's a good thing I guess. :)

Good luck with Drama school though!

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#120 Post by burgundy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 pm

Welcome you newcomers to LIT.

I just saw it for the first time last fall and agree that it's an incredible movie that packs a powerful emotional punch.

I like it when art influences life and makes you think (and re-think) your worldview.

Some of my favourite spots represented here too which is nice. I've been to England three times and loved it. London, Manchester and the Orkneys. Chicago is also my second favourite US city with Madison, WI right behind. (NYC is number one)
With intensity.