the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#21 Post by wiggle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:18 pm

Here here!
Where the hell's the whiskey?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#22 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:02 pm

Azshi wrote: I think the reason I never grew tired of it is because it doesn't feel like a movie. To me, LiT is a collection of small moments, careful and awkward attempts to connect with somebody you don't fully know but care for immensely..
Well said :)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#23 Post by Silk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:51 am

Howdy travellers and lost souls :D ... Here goes.

About the same age as Charlotte, live in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. For the time being I work at an office, but I study drawing and painting for a few nights a week and I'm going to apply for different Art colleges this autumn. Being a graphic designer would be a dream come true.

I search for the aesthetic appealing things in life, that's why I enjoy movies and art and reading books and shop beautiful and sophisticated clothes or gorgeus perfumes. With that said, I'm not a rich gal. About average. But I'm not as materialistic as I may sound, I only adore what is feminine and I adore using it.

I don't say things if not necessary. I enjoy wit and irony (maybe that's why I fell for Bob). People call me artistic, reliable, patient and wise. I'd say that I'm reserved, vain, average-intelligent and complicated.
Yey, perhaps not the most optimistic fella either. I'll just blame my age.

Don't be afraid to ask if there is anything else you'd like to know.

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#24 Post by sooner77 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:48 am

Is that a picture of you in your posts?

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#25 Post by Silk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:07 am

mm.. yep.
My cousin took it for an art project she was doing.

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#26 Post by sooner77 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:37 am

Last edited by sooner77 on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost In Scotland
Tourist

#27 Post by Lost In Scotland » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:34 am

Hi guys,

I am 21 and from Scotland, UK. I am currently studying towards a degree in psychology, after which I'll go on and do my masters hopefully. I also work part time.

I became a big fan of Lost in Translation as soon as I saw the film for the first time around one year ago. Immediately I identified with Charlotte. At the time I was a software development student just weeks away from graduating, but I had no passion at all for the subject. The main reason I went into it was because I was good at it, but not because I really enjoyed it. I made a decision that a few people told me was a mistake - I decided to start over again. It took me a few months to figure out what I wanted to do, and I did some reading on quite a number of different subjects, and I eventually settled on psychology, as I became fascinated with it after doing some reading up. So, in just over two years I'll have my BSc with honours (hopefully).

Even though I am now doing a subject I find interesting and enjoy, there still seems to be something missing, but I'm not quite sure what. It always feels to me as if there is something else I'm supposed to be doing, but I haven't found it yet. Oh well, maybe that sounds strange, but it's true, lol.

Things I enjoy include: film & music, photography and travelling (when I get the chance).

Anyway, I look forward to many conversations with you all.

-- Feeling Lost In Scotland :)

Intro/ Tokyo
Lost In Jet Lag

#28 Post by Intro/ Tokyo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Hello. I'm a young fellah in England at the moment, by the age of eighteen. I like Lost In Translation. Possibly more so now than when I first saw it, though I'm not sure why. I could go on about 'when I feel like watching it, man,' but you all know that schtick- I'm just sorta comfortable with it. I have it on now and then, but often that's background noise, so when I'm making breakfast and walking backwards and forwards and what-not. Every so often there's a Special Event when I can show it to someone new, but mostly it exists, and so do I. Sometimes we do so in the same room. I guess I'm happier knowing I could watch it whenever I wanted than actually watching it all the time. Though recently I've taken to watching it in short snippets before I go to sleep, just the Alone in Kyoto bit, or the post-karaoke car journey, just the nice soft bits. I could probably watch a three hour montage of Charlotte walking from place to place looking dreamy and thoughtful and stuff, truth be told. Bill Murray is cool, though I don't give a damn if he's a moody rude bugger in real life, he acts real good. I bet he isn't a moody rude bugger, though.

Other stuff. Erm. I like music that people find difficult to listen to- not because other people find it difficult to listen to- that seems just to be coincidence, so Tom Waits and Neutral Milk Hotel and stuff. This being in complete contrast to the fact that I listen to the LiT soundtrack whenever I'm walking somewhere, which seems to be a lot of the time. Recently a girl I fell horribly in love with showed me Bright Eyes so at the moment his new stuff is on a lot in my head. And 'Plastic Ono Band' by John Lennon, for no particular reason. Sometimes I think it's not even that good. And that new William Shatner album? Not That Bad. Heh.

Recently, I've been reading Thomas Mann's Death In Venice, which is brilliant. Oooh, and Haruki Murakami 'Hard Boiled Wonderland...' which is cool.

Dad lost his job a coupla weeks ago, which was kinda rubbish, but in some sort of mid-life crisis (which I have been guiltily egging on) he wants to get a job in Japan. This he is taking Seriously. I couldn't go for the duration 'cos I have Uni and stuff, but there'd be holidays and things. Jus' need to convince mam, or keep her unconcious for the duration of the flight. Do they have many Japanese people in Japan? I'm going to stalk 'em all. Man, I love Japan.

I'll leave on that carefully chosen weird note.

Bye!

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by jm » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:33 am

"Isn't it nice to see many young people joining, and loving the movie.
:)"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#30 Post by Azshi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:53 pm

Intro/Tokyo,

Have you read any other Murakami stuff? My favorite is Norwegian Wood, but it was a trip reading it after his headier titles.

Intro/ Tokyo
Lost In Jet Lag

#31 Post by Intro/ Tokyo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:35 am

Yeah, I loved Norweigan Wood- I just got into him in the Summer with A Wild Sheep Chase (fantastic, and probably my favourite so far) and the The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (likewise fantastic). I got Kafka On The Shore t'other day but havenae started it yet. He must hold at least three places in my top-ten favourite written passages list. Which I've never actually compiled, but I bet he would. Gentle pace, yet hectic story telling, lots of mysterious women that say mind-boggling profound things all the time, and a fat guy in a sheep suit. But if I had only read the Lieutenant's story from TWUBC, I'd probably be quite sure he was one of the best writers alive at the moment.

On a similiar note, has anyone read Paul Auster? He kinda reminded me of Murakami, 'cept he's a yank. He Writes Good Lots. I bought 'the New York Trilogy' for a plane flight and was pleasantly surprised to find that he was in fact, a genius. This particular book was a series of 'metaphysical detective stories'. I'm not sure if it gets any better than that.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#32 Post by 52FM » Mon May 23, 2005 10:41 am

OK - so I feel out of place. Very old (over 50) but trying to deal with my own situation similar to Bob/Charlotte from many years ago. Thought I got over it but seeing the movie last month made me see I did not have the closure that Bob did (for reasons posted on another thread.)

silverstar 189
Traveler

#33 Post by silverstar 189 » Sun May 29, 2005 8:39 am

I just thought i would introduce myself. I'm silverstar 189. I would give my real name but i can't as the cops are looking for me for commiting a small misdemeanour. I'm 5' 4'', 27 years old, I'm into cowboy hats and cowboy related items, and one of my dreams is to move to Ohio and become a cattle rancher, although i can only ride the smaller Shetland ponies due to my size, although this presents a problem as the cows do not take such a small pigmy pony seriously which makes them hard to herd. Some of my dislikes include shellfish, anything or anyone born or made in the year back to thwe future was set in, 1988, which usually ends in the destruction of said item/ assault of the person, large clouds and the state of Pensylvania. I like breast milk, pickup trucks, hitchhiking and the smell of burning plastic (which led to a misunderstanding with some firefighters at the scene of a burning factory and got me into this mess).

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#34 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun May 29, 2005 7:35 pm

Congratulations on making me feel normal :?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#35 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Mon May 30, 2005 8:15 pm

52FM wrote:OK - so I feel out of place. Very old (over 50) but trying to deal with my own situation similar to Bob/Charlotte from many years ago. Thought I got over it but seeing the movie last month made me see I did not have the closure that Bob did (for reasons posted on another thread.)
there might be a giant age gap between us, and undoubtedly you have more life experience than myself, an 18 year old, but i hope you think we can speak as equals on a subject like this movie because of all the different viewpoints there are about it.

i hope you don't feel out of place, anyway
mike

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#36 Post by 52FM » Tue May 31, 2005 10:36 am

Thanks, Mike.

atlashrugged
Awake

#37 Post by atlashrugged » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:05 pm

I'm Laura and I'm a college student/part-time radiology clerk. I live in the US (east coast). My major has been transitional: English, Art History and Psychology. I have two sisters in college as well and a brother that just graduated from college.

When I'm not being bored to death by school I go to concerts and spend time with friends. I read a lot. Right now I'm in a Hemingway/William Faulkner phase. (One of the reasons why I like LiT so much is the same reason I like Hemingway. The way he writes; terse. He uses words sparingly. Straight to the point, there’s no pretty language to sift though. He’s made short, declarative sentences into an art from. The movie manages to be romantic and funny and a ton of other things without overdoing it. That time Bob rested his hand on Charlotte's foot managed to convey more than the whole of some movies. If you get what I mean.) Most of the music I listen to is from the sixties and seventies. I can't get enough of Janis Joplin's guttural voice or George Harrison's 'All Things Must Pass'. I think I was born in the wrong decade.

That's all I've got. It's hard to write about yourself.

Oh, I wrote more of that story that's going around before I introduced myself. Sorry. :)
They poise and grieve as in some old tragedy.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#38 Post by Congruous » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:23 pm

I'm a 52 year old male bum, living in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I went to college (UGA) for seven years and still never graduated (thus the "bum" title). I'm old enough to have seen Bill Murray's first SNL appearance. I posted at this site a number of times as a guest after I saw "LIT" but didn't join because I figured I'd get sick of talking about it. That hasn't happened yet. Mostly I post on CD bootleg (legal bootleg) sites and have drifted to other sites like this one as time has passed.

I still love loud rock music. I also love my old (17 years old) dog. I used to be a good doubles tennis player, but as I've aged I've mellowed, so I'm not so interested in blasting balls through people. Golf suits me better these days.

Like some of you, I have gotten tired of reading the "This movie sucks..." or "This is the worst movie ever..." posts at imdb.com. I'm really interested in what people think of different movies.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#39 Post by Autumn Child » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:54 am

lol i didnt notice this topic when i joined, so...

im just 16, live in north-east england, starting 6th form next september to do English, Biology, R.E. and Business. Im not religious, im actually kinda anti-organised religion, but the course is more interesting and on the philisophical side. My best subject is english, i think im okay but i dunno its not that hard to be considered really good compared to other people (lol maybe my standards are too high).

I enjoy reading, and when im not enticed by the internet i like to read quite a lot. I wouldnt say I was a film enthusiast, but i love LIT, Girl With a Pearl Earring and American Beauty, i guess i just appreciate good films :D

i dont go out and do stuff that often, but if i do its just town or cinema with a friend or drinking with my brother and some people i know (not exactly friends tho lol). (just a thought: how come all you people in america seem so uptight about drinking under 21?)

my favourite film is Lost in Translation (of course), and at the moment my favourite book is How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

random things about me: my favourite colour is blue, my favourite season is autumn, favourite food probably has to be apple and blackberry crumble, tho its always better if you've picked the blackberries yourself, my favourite song is The Light by David Gray, favourite drink is Malibu & coke, fave. game in final fantasy 8, fave. day is Saturday and my favourite number is 2 :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Hi I'm Ithildriel65

#40 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:01 am

My name is Elvish for Moonflower, and the year of my birth. Yes, i turned 40 this year. Ithildriel was the name that my husband came up with for a character I played for several years on Everquest, and I loved it so I use it as my screen name here, and on IMDB.

Today is my first day here, and I was told about this site by 52FM who I enjoyed conversing with on IMDB. So far I am loving this sight because it appears to be "troll free". While differing opinions make life interesting, presenting them with respect is important.

I am a gamer. I am married, and besides my husband and friends, the biggest loves in my life are my animals and chocolate! My favorite color is consistently purple, but I have to admit most of my other favorites (movies, songs, bands, activities etc.) tend to change with my mood.