the Introduce Yourself thread

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#61 Post by I65 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:44 pm

mmmmmmm cake...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#62 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 pm

Congratulations to Ith!! :!: :!: :!: 8) 8) 8)

Your prize is that this is the first post I've ever done with multiple types of smilies. :wink: :wink: :wink:
(Sorry - best I could do :roll: )

OK - this post probably looks really dumb.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#63 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:47 pm

OK - so "lemon" gives out better prizes than I do.. :oops:
Last edited by 52FM on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#64 Post by I65 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 pm

:P :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :P
your a smilie artist!!!

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#65 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:50 pm

OK - so "lemon" gives out better prizes than I do, and she and Ith both type much faster than I do :oops:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#66 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:51 pm

And Ith does symettrical smilies - puts a math-head like me to shame!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#67 Post by I65 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:19 am

8) Shamelessly bumped to entice our new members to share a little about themselves 8)

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#68 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:11 am

52FM wrote:By the way - I thought from your spelling of "favourite" that you're from England.
Don't forget Canada 8)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#69 Post by Wing Fat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:17 am

Ithildriel65 wrote:8) Shamelessly bumped to entice our new members to share a little about themselves 8)
Okay I'll share...

LIT became my favorite movie the first time I saw it. I am a gaijin that lived in Tokyo for a couple of years, so the movie is meaninful to me on many levels. I saw it about half a dozen times in the theater and several more on DVD.

Even thought I never had a relationship like Bob and Charlotte, I still had "I have lived this" moments throughout the movie. The high-service hotels, walking alone in Tokyo in the rain, working with Japanese entertainment people, visiting a Japanese hospital, Tokyo clubs after dark, eating Shabu Shabu... these scenes and many others all stirred up vivid and fond memories. I even knew a couple of guys over there that were the mirror image of Tanabe Mori.

It's obvious the movie was the creation of someone who had also lived it. Thank you Ms. Coppola.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Some candy talking

#70 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Hey Everyone. My name is Rebecca, I am 17 years old and born in the Dominican Republic, although most people don't think I look Dominican(does one have to look from where he/she comes from?)So English is my second language. If I made ridiculous mistakes that will explain it.
The reason why I joined this Forum is because Lost In Translation is the only movie in the history of my life that has made me feel attached to the characters to a point where I felt like I was them. This movie is so powerful and simple that it's what I think of when I think of originality and art. I belive everyone wants to be found. I am still waiting for that moment. This forum is very smart and intelligent and filled with people who have extremely good taste. ** This movie totally made history**
:twisted: So long.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#71 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:32 pm

Welcome Rebecca and Wing Fat!!

Rebecca - I had to chuckle when you wrote "English is my second language. If I made ridiculous mistakes that will explain it." - because it made me think - what's my excuse for making ridiculous mistakes? :)

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#72 Post by I65 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:13 am

:shock: :lol: :o Ridiculous mistakes don't matter, as long as you surround them with lots of smilies :o :lol: :shock:

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#73 Post by A moment of silence » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Thanks you guys, you guys are so friggin cool it's not even a joke,man.

your excuse for making ridiculous mistakes? Well, dude, it's obvious: plain ol' stupid human air.

Take Care y'all! heheh :twisted:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#74 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:15 pm

"you guys are so friggin cool it's not even a joke,man. "

OK - I think that was a compliment - but being from the older generation I'm not quite sure! :)

Thanks, A Moment of Silence (Amos?)

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#75 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:56 pm

52FM wrote:Welcome Rebecca and Wing Fat!!

Rebecca - I had to chuckle when you wrote "English is my second language. If I made ridiculous mistakes that will explain it." - because it made me think - what's my excuse for making ridiculous mistakes? :)
I thought the very same thing! My friends in other countries,their english is more proper than mine is.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#76 Post by findingcharlotte » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm

MM oddly 'nuff..dont think I ever really did " introduce " myself...Ive been with the LIT community since Are you Awake off and on..I think everyone
" needs " a place like this to help sort out that all too familar feeling that this movie evokes. It has been a haven for many late nights after the "credits had rolled".......Hats off to those who have hosted and maintained the sites and to all that have contributed.

Name is John....I live in British Columbia Canada and without giving age away...Im in the " Bob " range of years ( lower end of the Bob range of years ;-) No need to explain why I have been here or keep coming back obviously. Work at a hospital ......fascinated by the world we can shrink down via the Internet. It has put me in contact with many fascinating and special people.

I know there is a Charlotte or Bob for everyone. Keep searching .....and drop in now and then to let everyone know how it goes .

Feel free to drop me a message if you really want to know more.... 8)
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#77 Post by adrien950 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 pm

Hello All! I just realized I haven't formally introduced myself,yet either. I am so thankful that there is a site like this and that I was able to find it.
My name is Adrien (obviously)...I'm 31..married for 7 years..no children..2 dogs..work in sales...I live in Dallas,Texas...and of course love Lost In Translation!!!
It's been great to converse with some truly awesome people on this site..we are never lost, if we have each other. :)

m00f
Traveler

#78 Post by m00f » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:40 pm

err well im the latest addition to this little community

im 18, from the UK, at university.

for some reason when i watched LiT for the first time. it was with my girlfriend and i didnt think much of it.

but when i watched it on my own i just fell in love and havent stopped thinking about it since.

hope there are people still active, i know there are those who welcomed me, thanks very much you kind kind people.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#79 Post by Congruous » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:46 pm

There is an ebb and flow of activity here. It is a small group, so be patient when you post...eventually someone will show up.

Something I've noticed is that those of you from the U.K. say you are at university, while an American will say he/she is going to school, and will often include the name of the school. I attended the University of Georgia, so I will just say I went to Georgia or UGA. When you say you are at university, do people know what university you are attending? I think most Americans are familiar with Oxford and Cambridge, but how do you differentiate schools when you are discussing them with your friends and acquaintances? Are your schools run by the government, or are they private, or both?

To take it further, when a person from the U.K. uses the term "U.K.," does that person mean England, Scotland, and Wales, or is Ireland and Northern Ireland thrown in there, too? Or does it just refer to England? I have always assumed that Northern Ireland is part of the U.K., but I'm not sure about Ireland proper.

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#80 Post by silvermoon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:19 pm

tends to be you'll say you're at uni, then if you're in a top uni you'll flaunt the name shamelessly like my cambridge friends, otherwise you wait till people ask you, then drop a name of a city, which is pretty much all people need to know. unless it's in london, in which case you'll need to name the uni cos there are so many, most other cities tend to have a single reputable uni only.

and uk is great britain, which is scotland, england and wales, and northern ireland. republic of ireland is seperate.

and welcome to m00f!