Well, let's get some discussion...

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

LJ Rucker
Traveler

Well, let's get some discussion...

#1 Post by LJ Rucker » Tue May 11, 2004 7:49 am

I'm just a kid here. 16 years old. I live in Iowa. I get good grades in school, am an Eagle Scout, play football, baseball, and am now starting Student Government. I like Bob Dylan, classic rock, the Chiefs and the Royals, and...

About 2 years ago, I saw AFI's Top 100 movies list. I was intrigued, and made it a goal to watch every single one. And, basically, so started my love for movies. One of the first movies I watched on the list was The Godfather. I've since become a huge fan of The Godfather Trilogy, and in film in general. My dream job is to be a director, but isn't that most everyones? :D

Just a few months ago, I rented Lost in Translation. This was after the Oscars, and I wanted to check it out to see how the Coppola was doing. Well, it turned out I loved every second of it. One of my favorite movies definitely. And now I'm here.
"What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?"

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#2 Post by Suntory » Wed May 12, 2004 12:52 am

Hey that's cool! Watch all those movies while you have the time! Although it sounds like you are very busy. So I dont know how you find the time. I certainly don't have time these days with work and all to watch too many movies. I/we focus on seeing the movies we want that come out in the theature. And I have to say though this might date me a bit, I saw Godfather II when it came out in the theature when I was young (teens?!)!!! This was before I had seen Godfather I and before video tape rental so it was some time before I saw G1 although it might have been in one of those third run repertory theatures that were more popular before video rentals.

I ask myself would I have liked LIT when I was 16?! I think I would have but from a different perspective. That was way before I had done any world traveling. Having done so much traveling by now is one of the things that I really hooked into about the film.

I have not been to Iowa but I am familier with if from a couple of things:

Riverside, Iowa, The Future Birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/IARIV.html :shock: 8)

Here's another link:
http://www.press-citizen.com/opinion/co ... ldsoul.htm

And TM has a big campus there in Fairfield:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/religion ... dic01.html :mrgreen:

LJ Rucker
Traveler

#3 Post by LJ Rucker » Wed May 12, 2004 7:16 am

Thanks for the reply, Suntory. Yeah, sometimes my schedule gets busy, but I usually watch movies on my free time. Believe it or not, I don't like to party much, and while I do have a lot of friends (too many, to be honest) I only talk to them at school. Kind of secluded -- like Bob. :D

Ha. You're right though, about liking it when you're 16. Just a few of my friends have seen it, and of course they didn't like it. But they've grown up in a bang-bang-boom/CGI age.

I've never traveled alone, so I haven't actually felt what Bob feels like. But I understood him. By his facial expressions and his actions. You know what I'm saying? Bill Murray did such an incredible job. I haven't seen Mystic River yet though, so I can't tell you if he was robbed or not.

Yeah, Iowa. Also the home place of John Wayne and Herbert Hoover. After high school though, I'm hopefully going to NYC for college.

BTW, everyone can give their story here. As much as you want of it.
"What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?"

jml2
WooHoo Guy

me

#4 Post by jml2 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:15 pm

hi I am a 34 yo female in Australia. Sofia Coppola is an inspiration, I am now working on some script ideas of my own because of LIT and Sofia.

Suntory

Re: me

#5 Post by Suntory » Thu May 13, 2004 1:18 am

jml2 wrote:hi I am a 34 yo female in Australia. Sofia Coppola is an inspiration, I am now working on some script ideas of my own because of LIT and Sofia.
that's cool!
Have you seen this?!
http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/what/0,5266,CA ... C-,00.html

I read about it in the IFC magazine they have at the local indie film theature. I dont know if it was that one or another one that Sofia was mentioned.

LJ: Yes I know what you mean about Bill. He was amazing! And YES HE WUZ ROBBED!!!! Sean Penn's acting was all based on screaming and histrionics. So of course they always give awards for that, not subtlety. Hollywood isn't about subtle. :roll:

As for me I live in the Boston, MA, USA area. I have spent a lot of time in NYC and I like it a lot but wouldn't necessarily want to live there. For long anyway! :shock: In '92 and '94 I traveled a lot in Europe, India, Nepal, and the American southwest. My travel photos fill our house (the good ones anyway! :o ) I've been to Israel four times the last being in 1997. I knew that sometime after that things would get worse so I wanted to go before that happened. And it unfortunately has. I haven't traveled as much as I want to in the US yet but I'm working on it. My wife and I recently got back from a week in Utah. The landscape in Utah especially in the south is utterly amazing (and underrated in the guidebooks). People always go on about the Grand Canyon. I've seen it. It's nice and it's BIG! But I was much more in awe of what I saw in Utah. They are related geologically as the Colorado river runs through them but it's the salt like in the salt lake that apparently is responsible for a lot of the geological oddities in the state. Utah has a lot of National Parks like Arches in Moab and Zion and Bryce and many more including State parks like Dead Horse Point (in Moab) which has a canyon view as impessive as the GC in it's own way.

I have some trip logs and a few photos on my travel page at:
http://www.worldwidecat.com/travel/
I have a lot more that I have procrastined about putting up so I don't know when exactly but at some point. I need to learn better web design!

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: Utah Really is Awesome

#6 Post by phillygalinutah » Thu May 13, 2004 5:45 pm

My sentiments too about Utah! I've lived here for 15 years...originally a Philadelphia city girl!

Utah's geography and beauty never ceases to amaze me. The sunsets on the mountains change with the seasons. I think "purple mountain majesties" refers to the Wasatch Mountains of Utah :P

If you didn't pick up a Utah travel brochure, Utah is broken out by regions because of its distinct gegraphy. Castle Country north of Moab is particularly awesome! Please do come visit again :!: I have a much better appreciation of the Mountain West states since moving here.

Still miss the East Coast, and cities like, Philly, NYC, DC and Baltimore...fortunately, I travel often to the East for business and pleasure!

Oh, my :roll: ..this is not a travel board...well, maybe Bill will read this , will get excited,and come visit some day :wink:

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#7 Post by sheyit » Wed May 19, 2004 12:10 pm

Hey guys!

23 year old guy from Australia. I'm studying animation and have experienced the biggest turnaround in movie preference post-L.I.T. I find it strange that I still enjoy my course as much as I do. I used to very much be into the CGI big blockbusters - and don't get me wrong - I still am, but I watch them now as popcorn movies and nothing else. I try to hunt around for the elusive L.I.T'ish gem.

I'd love to part of the conceptual art team for a movie. Directing would be cool - not sure how I'd handle it, but it'd be a great experience for sure! I'm quite bad at writing stories though, so maybe it isn't such a good idea.

I've travelled to Malaysia, The Philippines, and quite extensively around the U.S. and canada (for a 6 week holiday, anyway!) I dream of going to Japan - I never used to have such a fascination for it. Just another way L.I.T has influenced my way of thinking and what I want in life! I've recently heard of being able to teach English there with quite good pay - and its something I'm considering so I can spend some time there to explore and mingle and soak it all in.

Travel and learn something new as often as possible!
Good post by the way.

#8 Post by Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 11:52 pm

sheyit wrote:Hey guys!

I try to hunt around for the elusive L.I.T'ish gem.

I've travelled to Malaysia, The Philippines, and quite extensively around the U.S. and canada (for a 6 week holiday, anyway!) Travel and learn something new as often as possible!
Good post by the way.
Travel is good! Do it while you're young with few attachments.

Can anyone recommend any LIT'ish gems?!
The films that influenced LIT are probably a good place to start as
mentioned somewhere in this forum. Also there is a film that I like a lot
called "Choose Me" which kind of reminds me of LIT. It was made in 1984
and is very character driven and has that LIT like meditational pace. So to
speak. It's almost like watching a play. Like LIT the main characters go through
a lot of growth and growing pains and come out somewhere else at the end than when they
started.
It's one of my favorite movies.
And like LIT people either like it a lot or just can't watch it!
Here is the imdb link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087054/
amazon.com user reviews are very interesting to read also.
It was directed and written by Alan Rudolph who has made some
good movies.

Bob

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#9 Post by sooner77 » Thu May 20, 2004 2:42 pm

I THINK I NEED HELP! I CANNOT STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS MOVIE!

Suntory

#10 Post by Suntory » Thu May 20, 2004 6:48 pm

Take two DVD's stirred not shaken along with 2 CD's including the hidden track and call us in the morning. . .

:shock:

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#11 Post by jeffyen » Thu May 20, 2004 9:30 pm

No one can help you, sooner! I'm just kidding... :) The feeling will probably go away in a week. :D

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by jm » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:45 pm

Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suntory

#13 Post by Suntory » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:04 am

Wabbits huh?! Those wascally wabbits!!!!!

:shock: 8)

ybrik2k
Traveler

Can't stop thinking about LiT...

#14 Post by ybrik2k » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:51 pm

The feeling will probably go away in a week
Um...or not. :shock:

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

Re: Can't stop thinking about LiT...

#15 Post by findingcharlotte » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:35 am

maybe life will just steer you away from it for a bit...but the feeling never goes away.

Put it away for awhile..Then late ..late one light...when the buzz wont leave your ears ....sit back and visit Bob and Charlotte...

Youll welcome back the sadness and the joy..........

ybrik2k wrote:
The feeling will probably go away in a week
Um...or not. :shock:
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#16 Post by The Shoegazer » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:17 pm

Do You all think that it was Coppola's goal to make some of us feel that way or she just wanted to present Tokyo and that solitude, lost feeling in her movie?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:32 am

I don't know for sure, but judging by the somewhat unresolved ending, that's probably the feeling she was going for. If not, she left me with a permanent, unintentional punch in the stomach. :wink:
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:34 am

By the way since everyone is going trigger happy with the introductions here goes...

My name is Justin, I'm 18, male, from Prince Edward Island. I'm currently working on contract as an assistant network technician and going to school to become a business programmer or systems analyst. I'm also a huge Bill fan and since this movie, a huge Scarlett fan too.. too bad she had to cancel on Leno or whatever show it was she was supposed to be on. :(
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#19 Post by jml98 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:05 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:I don't know for sure, but judging by the somewhat unresolved ending, that's probably the feeling she was going for. If not, she left me with a permanent, unintentional punch in the stomach. :wink:
To me, the ending was part of the overall message of the movie, that (quoting from the DVD box, hehe) there are "unexpected connections we make that might not last -- yet stay with us forever" It would be impossible for the relationship to last, at least the same one they had in their time in Tokyo (i.e. it would be hard for them to go partying, stay out all night, etc.) because they have their own lives already. They have marriages, which are going through some rocky times, but still happy, and in Bob's case, he has kids -- he has a family. So, the only possible way for this to last is in their memories...Sofia acknowledges this in the last scene...perfect way to end the movie.

but, you never know...Charlotte said she lived in L.A. and Bob, being a movie star, probably lives in L.A....maybe they met again...or maybe, like someone on this site posted, this movie is a flashback, and that when we see Bob in the second scene, riding in the cab, he's coming back to visit Charlotte where it all began...(which would explain the continuity error of that billboard....) anyways, just some thoughts....