Elvis Costello

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

Elvis Costello

#1 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sat May 14, 2005 10:33 am

genius. nuff said.

i bought about 6 of his records the other day.. any other fans on the board?
mike

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#2 Post by hull_street » Sat May 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Oooooh yeah ! I have to admit, I haven't liked anything much that he's done since 1985, but everything up till then is good. I even like the albums I'm not "supposed" to: Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World. The latter is a bad album, but "Not the Only Flame in Town" and "Room Without A Number" are still good songs. I cut my teeth on "Armed Forces" as a youngster, so I have a hard time listening to a lot of his stuff now that he's mellowed out.

If you like Costello's 70's/early 80's albums, you'll probably like Joe Jackson's "I'm the Man" and "Look Sharp!", also. Check them out sometime.

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#3 Post by Azshi » Sat May 14, 2005 6:56 pm

I bought Armed Forces because I had to memorize a certain song for Halloween karaoke (guess who I went as :roll: ). That's the only album of his I own and absolutely love it.

What else would you recommend for beginners? I'm cool with suggestions that aren't as political or loud

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sun May 15, 2005 9:18 am

Azshi - I reccomend This Year's Model. It's his second album, the one before Armed Forces and I think it is his best. He really mastered his own sound on it. Armed Forces is good, but there are a few filler tracks on it.

My Aim is True is also really good, and I'm currently listening to Get Happy!! and Imperial Bedroom, so I'll let you know what I think of those when i'm done.
mike