in the wee small hours

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

in the wee small hours

#1 Post by findingcharlotte » Mon May 23, 2005 7:52 pm

so for all the souls that wander awake in the night ...what do you do to try and fall asleep?

I watch LIT sometimes...Least I fall asleep thinking of a wonderful story that way.................
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon May 23, 2005 8:37 pm

every night to fall asleep i put on headphones and listen to a familiar movie (groundhog day, sometimes) without actually watching it... sometimes i listen to george carlin cd's or some other kind of standup comedy.. but always something im familiar and comfortable with.. and i doze right off
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by hull_street » Mon May 23, 2005 11:14 pm

Just Like Honey... wrote:every night to fall asleep i put on headphones and listen to a familiar movie (groundhog day, sometimes) without actually watching it...
I was shocked to see this. I have been watching Groundhog Day often myself, lately. I wonder what's up with that ?

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#4 Post by You Make it Easy » Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 am

I watch one of my many DVD's, til I'm close to passing out then turn it off and fall asleep with no problem.
Waiting to be found...

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#5 Post by preciouswhile » Tue May 24, 2005 3:42 pm

Lately? Loveless. There isn't much better than To Here Knows When or Sometimes swirling you to sleep.

Often times I'll put on a DVD with the dialogue in another language - Japanese if I can help it. I kinda wish LiT had a Japanese dub...

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue May 24, 2005 6:50 pm

hull_street wrote:I was shocked to see this. I have been watching Groundhog Day often myself, lately. I wonder what's up with that ?
It's kind of a comfort zone for me, because I know the movie so well... Bill does such a great job at being a bitter grumpy weatherman (similar to his role in "Scrooged")

I usually fall asleep around the part where he goes to the cafe and pigs out on donuts
:)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#7 Post by jml98 » Sat May 28, 2005 4:21 am

i often listen to LiT music (Sometimes, Girls, Just Like Honey), but i listen to just about anything relaxing, Elliott Smith or "New Slang" by The Shins, for example...i dunno how popular iPods are across the country, but they're HUGE over here, and they are great for this kind of thing (yeah, the price is a little steep but if you love music and have a lot of it, they're worth it)

On the weekends, I'll watch a movie on my computer with the lights out (ok, so it's kinda cheesy...), most often LiT, but not always (last weekend i watched Garden State); it feels so right to watch it late, i start the movie at midnight or later, then listen to music after that as a i fall asleep...i find all this very relaxing

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#8 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sat May 28, 2005 9:57 am

listen to my Ipod. i can't fall asleep unless i listen to some music.

something relaxing or ambient.

air, bjork, loveless by mbv, the verve, doves, etc..
mike

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

iPod schmipod! :)

#9 Post by Suntory » Sun May 29, 2005 12:00 am

:shock:
I know iPods are really popular but what about all the other mp3 players out there?! They do exist! They do!

I use this one:
http://www.neurosaudio.com/

Not as sleek or cool as the iPod but for the money it holds tons more songs
and has more functions.

jml98
Asleep

#10 Post by jml98 » Sun May 29, 2005 2:50 am

it's almost to the point where the product is synonomous with the brand name (like when ppl say Kleenex, a brand, when asking for a tissue). I got an iPod the first day the original one came out and i've never been dissapointed, so i guess i just stuck with it...

my friend used that justification (more songs, cheaper, etc.) and bought some other MP3 player, but it wasn't nearly as good. The design was very counter-intuitive, loading songs onto it gave you a headache; it just sucked. And he eventually got an iPod. iPods are so great b/c the design and interface is so simple, and it's so easy to load up songs (plus, they just look really nice). Another thing to think about is that since iPod is the most well-known and popular MP3 player out there, many third party accesories will be made for iPod. For example, there are a bunch of different prodcuts that allow you to play your iPod in your car...can the same be said for other MP3 players? They're reliable too - in my 2+ years of owning an iPod i've never had any major problems

Yeah, so they're kinda fragile and pricey, but they're amazing otherwise...

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#11 Post by Suntory » Tue May 31, 2005 12:03 am

I don't doubt the iPod is great and I'm sure there are other mp3 players out there that suck. However the Neuros is great because it
does allow for 3rd party open source development.
On their web site is a forum where people discuss those things along
with bugs and enhancements. What other companies do stuff like
that? One of the open source developments was an alternative
database that works better than the one that comes with it.
I'm not sure how familier you are with open source projects but
they tend to produce high quality applications because of the
amount of collaboration and scrutiny that go in their development.
Like Linux!!!! :)

As far as car connectivity goes you have two options.
One is to buy a radio transmitter that transmits your mp3 player
into your car radio. If you buy one they usually only let you have
4 stations. With the Neuros it is built in and lets you choose any
station you want! If you have a cassette deck in your car you can
get one of those cassette hookup thingies where you put the
cassette in the deck and then plug the cord from it into your
mp3 players output jack and voila! Works for me!