I'm down...

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

sw25
LIT Super Fan

I'm down...

#1 Post by sw25 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:21 am

I don't know why either.

I thought maybe seeing Batman Begins tonight would make me a little happier. I really liked the movie, but my mood hasn't changed.

It's just that gnawing sadness you get and you can't understand where it came from. I guess I feel very alone. I don't know. It's the worst sort of sadness, because it's completely intangible and you can't touch it. I try to vent it out through anger, but I'm just not that kind of person who gets out aggression like that.

Sorry to post this here, in which it has no relevence, but thank you anyone for reading. I just had to get it out somewhere. It helps you to feel a little more real when others can acknowledge your presence.

Thank you all, fellow LiT lovers.

#2 Post by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:35 am

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down.
I sent you a pm/email regarding your post.
I also moved this to the Lounge.

I would guess that Batman Begins is not quite the elixer to fix moods
the way LiT can be. Batman while cool and I can't wait to see that movie
is not the kind of subtle character and mood play that LiT is.
When was the last time you watched Lit? Can you watch it again?
Maybe it will help.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by sw25 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:41 am

Thank you, Bob, and thanks for the PM.

Don't worry, I would never do anything harmful.

I guess it's a tribute to how real LiT is when I'm suffering from the same thing as the two protagonists. I apologize for making a topic with no real point, but, as I said before, I just needed to get it out.

And I haven't watched LiT in a while. I'm thinking of watching it again tonight. It does certainly seem to help.

Oh, and by the way, I'm glad I stumbled upon this account again. I made it a while ago, then forgot about the site and never posted. Hopefully, I'll participate a little more now.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:35 am

Yes - post here more often. I assume you're the same SW25 on the IMDB board. The people here are all kindred in their feeling for LiT. There are many caring people over on IMDB as well, but there is a lot of noise over there also. I like the noise sometimes, as long as it doesn't wreck a thread or train of thought.

Anyway - glad to see you here.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:56 am

You know they said in "Animal House:" "Don't get mad, get even!" No, I'm kidding.

Sorry to hear you're low. Can you get some exercise? That stirs things up. Just take a walk. Get out of the house.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#6 Post by sw25 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Thank you everyone. It truly feels good to talk to others like this.

And yes, FM52. That's me, the one and only. Who are you on IMDB? I might have spoken to you, as I do frequent that LiT board. I've sort of been waging a verbal war against Miles Monroe (and, previously, justanotheranonposter). It's fun debating others who disagree with you, but sometimes I like being here where I belong a little better.

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#7 Post by Azshi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24 pm

My ex-girlfriend (of 3.5 years) and I broke up on the 1st of June and while it hasn't been messy, angry, or extremely painful, it's left me going through an up/down emotional state.
The best thing I did that first week when I was feeling really alone was write a friend of mine an 8 page letter. Just knowing that someone was there somewhere listening helped IMMENSELY, so I'm glad that you've found something similar here.
I've been distracting myself with books and movies when things start feeling gloomy. That said, I don't know how I would have felt about the movie if I wasn't in this state, but I really enjoyed I [Heart] Huckabees. It's a movie filled with anger, confusion, isolation, and ultimately, sincere and unbridled optimism.
It may help to know a little about Existentialism and the Theatre of the Absurd before watching it (even a little internet research on Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot should be enough)

[There seems to be a lot of negativity following the movie and its supporters, so to cover my own a** from the criticism of hipsters and literary snobs, I want to establish here that I DON'T know a lot about Existentialism, I don't major in philosophy, I don't consider myself well-read or an intellectual, and I'm not claiming Huckabees to be the smartest movie ever written. But I liked it.]

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#8 Post by sw25 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:04 pm

That's very interesting. Thank you for responding.

I'm not a huge fan of I Heart Huckabees. I'm not a film snob OR a hipster, so rest easy, I just didn't like it particularly. I'm glad you liked it, though.

Similar thing for me and my love of Waking Life. Everyone thinks I'm pretending to be a philosophy major because I like it, but I never said the movie was a textbook on philosophy.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#9 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:55 pm

I loved I Heart Huckabees but that's besides the point.

I agree with the above posts.. writing is an amazing way to make your feelings tangible.. not literally obviously, but once it is written out..it is no longer a confusion in your mind but something you know exists and something that will pass eventually.

I, along with everyone else here I'm sure, is willing to talk if you want to. I'm on AIM at defmaybe12.
mike

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#10 Post by sw25 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:31 pm

I actually have been interested in writing fiction for a while. It really is one of the more cathartic activities one could try.

In fact, this funk of mine has allowed me to write a dark little short film screenplay that I'm quite proud of. I suppose you have to be in the right mindset about life and love to write a certain kind of piece.

Thanks again to everyone for the support. I apologize if I come off as weepy or melodramatic. I'm not trying to mine sympathy, I'm just naturally very stoic and reserved about my emotions. It feels good to verbalize them like this to so many great people.

WhoFeelsLove- I made a note of your AIM. Who knows? I always enjoy talking to new people.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by 52FM » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:44 am

sw25 -
My name here is an abbreviated amalgram of my name on IMDb - moviefan52.

Miles is an interesting character and I've enjoyed many of his posts and my "conversations" with him. However, I'd ask that you consider not mentioning weareawake to him; if he came over here I think it would wreck the mood.

And I am a firm proponent of writing out your thoughts in order to see where they are really coming from. I learned things about myself from my "discussions" on IMDb that were there but were buried. In fact, LiT uncovered them to begin with - I thought they were long ago settled.

I suspect we're pretty far apart in age - (I have often thought I'm simply too old to be doing this - typing on discussion boards) yet I believe we all can learn from each other at various stages in our lives. If you have something to say - this is a good place for it.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#12 Post by sw25 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:38 am

Haha, I had a suspicion it was you.

Well, moviefan, you've been one of my favorite people to talk to on IMDB, and I'm ecstatic that you've found your way here too.

No, I won't mention it to Miles, but, like you, I have enjoyed talking to him and arguing with him. Though he and I are almost always in disagreement, it's been quite interesting over there ever since justanother and then Miles showed up. I do give them this; sometimes conflict really is more stimulating.

You're right about the age gap, and that you are my superior elder. I know I've less experience than you, and less wisdom, but I think I can always add something to the conversation. I try as best I can to be open-minded, insightful, and interesting.

Keep in touch, moviefan.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by 52FM » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:43 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Don’t look for me on the LiT IMDb board. I was tempted to jump on a couple of threads from new people there, but I’ve decided to stop posting. (And Miles had nothing to do with it.) Actually, a different poster said something to me that I realized (after a lot of reflection) had much more depth of meaning than what was said on the surface. And after even more reflection I realized that the point that was gently and subtly made was quite valid - time to stop. But I’ll continue to “lurk” there for a while more (and of course here as well). But my posting, if any, would be here.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#14 Post by sw25 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear you go, moviefan. Make sure to post here whenever you feel like having a discussion.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by 52FM » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:11 pm

Hi, sw25 -
Just wondering how things are going with you. My self-imposed departure from the IMDb board was well timed - it seemed like "Miles" was getting out of control again, and was deleted again, and now seems to be back with yet another name.

I'm glad I'm off that board because I may well have sent out a very wrong impression to at least one person there. I tried to set it straight and hopefully I did - but I learned that internet communication can be perilous, especially when you wind up spilling your guts as I did over there. I don't regret it because I found out things about myself. And I still am - the poster's comments on LiT that showed up here a couple days ago actaully cleared up another issue in my mind - I'll be posting about that over on that thread later.

Anyway - I hope all is well and I hope we hear from you soon.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by sw25 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:12 am

Sorry about my absence. Just went on a (much-needed) vacation.

Yep, you're right about internet chat. As convenient as it is, talking without actually "talking" often leads to frustration and, occasionally, upsetting situations, as I'm sorry to hear might have happened to you.

Many a time has gone by when I've spoken to people online, only to have my thoughts and intentions completely misinterpreted. I always try to be clear and concise with what I say, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

But for all that trouble, I think it's worth it for all the people I've met through this board and others. There's something very nice about it--speaking to people out there who will most likely always remain anonymous.

Also, for shy, slightly cowardly persons like myself, it enables me to open up without consequence. Yes, it's selfish, but you and others here have been completely accepting of it. My thanks.

I'll keep you updated, moviefan. You make sure to do the same.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#17 Post by 52FM » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:02 am

Good to hear from you. Hope your vacation was enjoyable.

Internet chatting is worse than email, I've sadly discovered, because you don't know the person and yet somehow end up caring what they think. There's a part of me that wants to clarify the situation, but then I think that since we don't know each other, what's the point? I may try one more time.

IMDb is interesting - looks like Miles' 3rd personna got deleted. I'm tempted so often to jump in on threads of people who apparently just discoverd LiT (asking about certain scenes and of course the whisper) to share my thoughts again, but I think I've said enough there.

Not that I expect anyone to be interested at all, but my wife and I had our first real conversation about working out our differences this weekend. It went as I expected - that is, frustrating overall but in the end a real first step. We did talk about "Charlotte" and she again emphasized how she had forgiven me long ago. Also - for the first time I got an honest feeling that she understood what made us connect. Several times I thought of bringing up how LiT hit me, but it just seemed out of context. With that really behind us, I hope we can start working on our differences.

I don't intend to play out my life on a discussion board, but I thought typing this out would give incentive to keep trying. What I'd love to see is an LiT type movie where "Bob" and "Lydia" work things out. Anyone know of such a film?

Congruous
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Congruous » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:45 pm

"Twister" plays out that way, although the two characters don't have children, and the relationship isn't the most important part of the movie. "Hannah and Her Sisters" shows the intense relationship between Caine and Farrow's characters.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Congruous » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:48 pm

Speaking of Miles...does he only post at "Lost in Translation?" Imdb is a huge site; surely he's interested in more than one movie. I've had him on "Ignore" for a month or so, so I haven't seen any of his blather.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#20 Post by sw25 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:58 pm

That's certainly good news from you moviefan. It would be arrogant of me to say I had the life experience necessary to tell you I know the situation you're going through, but I still wish you the best of luck.

It's frustrating, really. I empathize for your problems and the problems of other adults, but being so young offers me no opportunity for offering real support or guidance. It makes me feel useless, in a sense. I guess it's just me being impatient, wanting to know how life works more than I already do.

I understand your reservations about sharing on these boards. We all are, after all, strangers. But know that I am interested in what you have to say, and that I am listening.

I haven't posted on IMDB myself in a while. I guess, like you, I've said what I had to say, and there's really little reason in repeating myself. I have no real drive anymore to talk about it. Maybe it's exhaustion from all my debates with Miles!

Speaking of which, I haven't found him in a while. I've seen no other incarnations in any of the topics. He might really have given up with IMDB altogether (wouldn't surprise me; his last topic was a giant tirade against the site's censors).

As for your question, Congruous, I've seen him post on a few others. Fahrenheit 9/11 was a big one for him, which is predictable, considering he was quite the politician.