I'm down...

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#21 Post by 52FM » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:31 am

sw25 -
I understand and I'm not looking for advice from you or anyone necessarily. It's the diffeent points of view that I incorporate in my thinking that I find interesting and sometimes helpful. By the way - if I can ask - about how old are you? I find it interesting how many young people liked LiT. That comes from a different perspective than I would have thought. I've also had a question I'd been considering posting here to younger people. I may try it out on you first.

I also find it interesting how many males liked the movie. At first galnce it seems like a typical "chick-flick"; on IMDb someone once asked if it appealed only to bored lonely women. It seems it appeals more to men (not necessarily bored or lonely, but going through or remembering some life transition.)

Miles appeared on IMDb again as JackieBlackie for a very short time. Gone yet again.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#22 Post by sw25 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:38 pm

Ask me anything you'd like, moviefan, and I'd be glad to answer it to the best of my abilities.

I am...

(drumroll)

...only 16.

Yeah, my mother (who doesn't like the film) is surprised by how much I like it. She keeps telling me there's nothing in it I should relate to, but I know I always feel a strong emotional swelling when watching LiT.

It is weird, huh? I'm a young male who loves a movie that most people write off as older-women material. I think the reason so many males, and young people, enjoy LiT is that it can be approached in many ways.

The actual events of the movie are foreign to me, but the emotions underneath have a tendency to show up in almost everyone. That's why I feel that a movie about any subject could potentially interest me, because movie "events" are really only bridges for the emotions.

I spend a lot of time by myself, and so, naturally, I think a good deal. About my past, my present, my future. It's why I'm so grateful that LiT was made. Even if it is flawed (a claim I could understand), it gave me the ability to see how I feel, but put in the mind of a man older than me and in a different situation.

I'm sorry I can't describe it any better. LiT is one of the few films where I have a very difficult time trying to describe its appeal for me.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#23 Post by 52FM » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Tough age - 16. The best thing about being 16 is that it only lasts a year. Partially kidding - partially showing I understand what you may be going through. Went through it with 3 kids (2 boys) and now that they are older (early twenties) things got a bit easier for them.

Friends and social interaction are vital. The internet makes it all too easy to "socialize" without really practicing people skills. I'm sure you've heard that - but it's my advice to you. The good thing is that if things go sour in those experiences - the online community can act as a "safe haven" to talk things through.

Regarding Miles - I fogot another personna he had for a brief time - FickDick (which is loose pronounciation of a vulgar german expression). So he has had four screen names deleted that I know of.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#24 Post by sw25 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:07 am

Thank you kindly for the advice, moviefan, and I agree. There is really no substitute for true human interaction.

It's difficult, though, and I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an angsty teenager. I don't intend to do that, but I figure it's only so long until I have to embrace my own confusion and curiosity with other people, especially the opposite sex.

You should probably have already guessed that I'm not the high school football QB, nor do I have two girls in a clinch on a daily basis. I'm not an outcast, but I happen to be very shy, and I'd assume most people see it as either arrogance or some form of "weirdness".

Also not surprising: I write. It would be interesting to do a study: does writing breed introversion, or do shy folks just eventually turn to writing?

I suppose I will eventually grow out of all this, through becoming enlightened by some higher being, no doubt. All kidding aside, it's quite embarrassing even admitting that I'm so emotionally confused, but I don't think there's any sense in lying.

Thank you for all the support, moviefan. Regardless of how healthy it may be for me, I've enjoyed our conversations.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#25 Post by 52FM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:46 am

I resemble much of what you are saying. I was very shy (and still am less outgoing than most people - though I have a very easy time talking to strangers - which amazes me when I think about it now.) Anyway - you are right that people tend to think shy people are arrogent or have a supeior feeling. The problem is - if you're going to be brutally honest - it is actually truer than you'd want to admit. When you are introspective (I think that's a word) you can tend to over-evaluate situations. Then, being shy - you can tend to "rationalize" your actions (or lack of), thinking things like "they're really acting foolish or immature" when people are having fun. People sense that you feel "above it all" and react negatively. I'm not just spouting off here - these are things I've come to grips with about myself many years ago. After I did, I changed.

Regarding writing - I personally think it is a talent well worth developing at every step of the way. Do you write for your school newspaper? I bet that would be a natural start for you. Does your school paper have a "movie review" section? I bet you'd be great at that - and I bet your thoughts would echo things other students wouldn't even realize they were thinking. Plus - the newspaper gives you a built in cameraderie as you become a team trying to make the deadline. Think about it.

By the way - having two girls in a clinch is more trouble than its worth. Not that I would have ever known, but you seem the type who would rather have a true friendship than a "hook-up". Get involved in activities you enjoy, like writing, and you will find people you will enjoy being with. You might even find a Charlotte-type, not the normal teenage girl, looking for someone to tell her she is special. They are out there - my daughter is one (sorry - she's a bit old for you) as are several of her friends.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#26 Post by Congruous » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:48 am

You write darn well for a teenager...for anybody, really.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#27 Post by sw25 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:45 pm

I appreciate the compliment, Congruous. Good to see I have at least one impressive quality!

moviefan- you hit the nail on the head. I understand that I can be arrogant, and it bothers me that I think that way sometimes. I'll be with a group of friends, bowling perhaps, and I'll just get a feeling like I'm doing something useless or pointless. Because I don't want to say anything out loud, I clam up, which inevitably leads to my coming off as anti-social.

In terms of females, I credit my lack of a spine as well. I shouldn't be as shy about it as I am. It's ridiculous really, considering the potential consequences aren't that grave.

I'm seeing a female friend of mine this Sunday, but not in a romantic context. She already has a boyfriend, and we're merely friends, but thus far she's been the best "connection" I've had. I can talk to her comfortably. I suppose simply having a friend like that is good enough. There's no need to be greedy.

I will be concentrating most of my time on my enthusiasm for writing soon, which is a good thing. I'll be attending a writing program for a week later this summer, and I'm looking for other forums in which to have others see my work. It'll certainly keep me occupied. As for the school newspaper, I am hesitant for two reasons:

1. It's less of a newspaper and more of a pamphlet, considering there are so few participants (which is a problem that could be remedied by my help, yes)

2. Few read it anyway. Unless they need to use it as a napkin, most just toss it in a wastebasket immediately. I do enjoy writing about movies, but if there's no market for it...

On a side note, I've been horrified with IMBD recently. In the wake of the awful London bombings, I was shocked to see that, instead of the unity and mourning I expected, there was more hatred and division than ever. Trivial fights about politics and religon. It's really quite disheartening.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#28 Post by 52FM » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:38 am

What threads are you seeing the hatred and division? I only read a few of the movie boards over there.

Don't discount the school paper. My kids went to a fairly large hS with a great paper - and most kids didn't read it either. It's the age - it's not "cool" I guess (that and band). But it opens so many other doors in college (as does band). Besides - you might have an idea or two that that would make some students read the paper before wiping their face with it.

I know you won't believe me - but romance at your age is not important. Having a girl for a friend can only prepare you better when that time comes. You always want to be able to see your significant other as a special person first from which romantic feeling flow - too many times teenagers are just looking at having someone without really ever even getting to know them.

Friendships can last forever. Having a mate without being close friends can only last so long. I speak from some experience.

Having female friends that are only friends may be frustrating at your age - but in several years you two may be feeling different. Who knows.

For myself - I'm afraid I really did something unfortunate (related to IMDb) to change a person's opinion of me 180 degrees. Trying to rectify it apparently only made it worse. Since continuing to try would be counter productive, I just have to get over it - but I must admit I don't like someone having such a wrong impression of me. I'm new to using the internet to communicate - and there are things about it like this that I have to just recognize as part of the territory.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#29 Post by sw25 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:19 am

For you, moviefan, I will give the paper some thought.

And no, I don't believe you.

I'm kidding. I know, of all the things I should worry about at the moment, it's hardly a top priority. There is something to be said for a good friend, and I'll do my best to keep her that. What frustrates me the most is just that I can't help feeling it's an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality for when she thinks of me. Sure, she likes being around me and we have a good time, but given the choice between me and her boyfriend, I can't help but suspect I'd be left in a dust cloud.

It's completely selfish, and I'm ranting. I can't expect everyone to love me the most. I should concentrate on knowing more about her, like you said.

About IMDB-- Perhaps the news isn't quite as spoken about on the specific movie boards. I was browsing the social boards and was dismayed by all the foolish arguments I saw.

And I'm sorry about your predicament, but don't worry, it's happened to me a few times as well. Not everyone online is as patient or welcoming as we'd like, and often trying to explain yourself afterwards just makes them angrier and less accepting. It makes me upset also, knowing someone has the wrong impression of you, but you just have to learn to shrug it off and keep moving. No doubt, the other person will do the same.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#30 Post by sw25 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:20 am

For you, moviefan, I will give the paper some thought.

And no, I don't believe you.

I'm kidding. I know, of all the things I should worry about at the moment, it's hardly a top priority. There is something to be said for a good friend, and I'll do my best to keep her that. What frustrates me the most is just that I can't help feeling it's an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality for when she thinks of me. Sure, she likes being around me and we have a good time, but given the choice between me and her boyfriend, I can't help but suspect I'd be left in a dust cloud.

It's completely selfish, and I'm ranting. I can't expect everyone to love me the most. I should concentrate on knowing more about her, like you said.

About IMDB-- Perhaps the news isn't quite as spoken about on the specific movie boards. I was browsing the social boards and was dismayed by all the foolish arguments I saw.

And I'm sorry about your predicament, but don't worry, it's happened to me a few times as well. Not everyone online is as patient or welcoming as we'd like, and often trying to explain yourself afterwards just makes them angrier and less accepting. It makes me upset also, knowing someone has the wrong impression of you, but you just have to learn to shrug it off and keep moving. No doubt, the other person will do the same.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#31 Post by sw25 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 am

Uggh...ignore the double post. My blasted computer.

jml98
Asleep

#32 Post by jml98 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:33 pm

sw25 wrote:What frustrates me the most is just that I can't help feeling it's an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality for when she thinks of me.
It sounds like you have been friends with this girl for awhile, since you are such good friends. If she was interested in being more than friends with you, she probably would have let you know by now. Unfortunately, when it comes to girls, if they only see you as a friend, it's hard to change that perception of you. In other words, that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality is going to be very hard to change -- she thinks of you as her good friend, and if she hasn't shown any interest in being more than friends with you, it's probably not going to happen. But that's ok - some of the best friendships I have are with girls, and I'm perfectly happy that things stay that way. Of course, you have every right to question me...and if i were you I'd probably think I was full of sh*t, or at least question the validity of these words. But this is what i know from personal experience (and listening to Dr. Drew Pinsky... :D )

As for being 16...these last two years of high school are very tough because of the uncertainty of the future (that is, what's going to happen after high school), and of course the academic pressure (SATs, APs, etc.). I'm going through it all myself (I'm 17, and going to be a senior), so I know what it's like. If you ever want to talk to someone who understands, I'm listening...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#33 Post by 52FM » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:24 pm

As I see my kids go through their relationships - and as I try to pick my spots as to when to offer advice and when to back off - I look back with fondness of the "easy" days when they were infants and all I had to worry about was not getting enough sleep.

My middle child (son) is unhappy because he doesn't have a relationship right now. He's been through 4 or five in the last two years. My daughter is unhappy (though she won't admit it) because her relationship (her first) is taking her away from people and things she enjoys. I don't know this for sure, but I don't think either one has been really in love yet. I want to help - I want to tell them how it all works out (and it does). I want to tell them in a few years they won't care as much if they just stay focused on being who they are and pursuing the things that will help them establish a satisfying life. I've said things that has helped, but there is only so much an "old man" can say without sounding like I'm intruding.

Then you get on boards like this (and probably many others - I'm just finding out from them about places liek MySpace (or is it MyPlace); I suspect you get people from all ages talking about insecurities and problems. (OK - maybe not my age - but that's what I've done here and on IMDb). A certain amount probably helps (shared experiences - writing out your thoughts). I bleeive in that firmly, as I've said. BUT.. I have to wonder if too much of it ends up feeding the beast instead of calming it.

Just some random thoughts as I try to digest this whole new world of internet communities and what it will mean for them.

Anyway - hope you two (sw25 and jml98) are having a great summer. Best of luck in your senior year jml98. Do you have college plans after school? Tough decisions ahead - but whatever you choose - make sure you continue to enjoy these years.

jml98
Asleep

#34 Post by jml98 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:02 pm

52FM wrote:Do you have college plans after school? Tough decisions ahead - but whatever you choose - make sure you continue to enjoy these years.
absolutely...and, i will.

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#35 Post by sw25 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:20 pm

jml, don't worry. I have no delusions about how she thinks of me. I am fairly confident she is not interested in me, nor will she ever be, and I'm okay with that. It's good enough getting to see her when I do.

My summer's been okay so far. I've done more than enougb writing, and I've produced a few things I'm quite proud of.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Hi SW25

#36 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 am

Not sure if you remember me, but I missed ya over at IMDB. So glad to see you here. Hope your still around.

Have to admit that you blew me away with the being 16 thing...lol...I knew that you were young only because you commented on it a few times on IMDB but I really thought you were in college at least. Your level of maturity is amazing.

Hope to see you around the threads.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#37 Post by 52FM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:57 am

The start of another school year is just about here. Sorry Mike, sw25, and jml98. We're moving my younger son to his off-campus apartment next week (a rival Big Ten school to your Ohio State, Mike; GO BOILERS!) Then my daughter, who I've really gotten close to in the last few weeks, moves to her dorm the week following as she starts college. We would be empty nesters if not for my oldest; he has graduated and is looking for a job/thinking about grad school. His first interview next week. Wish him well - the COBRA insurance I'm paying is killing me.

Mike, sw25, and jml98: You guys still around lurking? I hope so - with our newest member ("Ith") we'll get some fresh perspectives on this board. She's nowhere near as old as I am (she seems to have figured out that the 52 in my name is not my age, though it was once); but she is wiser (in my opinion) and apparently much more outspoken than I am.

(Remember SW25 - school paper: think about it. I have some ideas if you're interested.)

I'll probably be back on this board more often; it's been too quiet except for Autumn Child; plus I'm feeling more upbeat and energized these days.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#38 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome 52FM. I have to say I have been said to be a lot of things, but wise is a first, with the exception of it being followed with something along the lines of cracker or arse...

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#39 Post by sw25 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:42 pm

Fantastic to see you back, moviefan. I'm glad your leave of absence wasn't longer- I missed these chats. I'll try to post on some of the other topics you've visited recently when I can.

And I'm happy that another IMDB vet has shown up here (the goods ones always do). Nice to see you, Ithildriel. I remember you quite clearly, if only because of our improptu acting session.

And thanks all for the compliments. I just try to be as perceptive and mindful as possible in any given situation.

Yes, I'm giving the school paper some thought, moviefan. As for your suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Once again, an enthusiastic thumbs-up to new members like Ithildriel and your return, moviefan. This could be the breath of life these boards need.

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#40 Post by silvermoon » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:26 pm

crudely forcing my way in, i just had to comment on this particular thread as it is one i can relate to completely at this moment. i hope you're feeling better sw25 (i realise its been a while since the thread was started, so hopefully that's a resounding yes), i found that surrounding myself with friends who understand you and are easy to communicate with, and discussing as openly as possible whatever is on your mind can help to keep spirits up. i for one am very introspective, and it certainly would be healthier to lay things out in the open. nothing that hasnt already been said, and more eloquently, but considering the relevence i'll say it anyway

also, it is certainly true that you are more mature and wise than most your age. just don't let it overwhelm you. it can be dangerous to consider weighty issues too seriously when still young. i fell into that trap, failing at the time to realise that you have your whole life to confront those issues without having to cope with it when still learning about the world (even tho unrequited love is still a sticky issue). you're a wiser man than i so that shouldnt be a problem for u, just try to stay optimistic at all times, phases like that can be painful and are to be avoided at all costs. again, realising that these posts are probably very late, take everything i say with a pinch of salt